ClubAdventist is back!

Becoming a Christ Focused Church

Sojourner

This is an excerpt that I would like to challenge everyone with, taken from the Adventist Record, from Dr Barry Oliver, who has recently retired from his role as President of the South Pacific Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. - www.record.net.au

Becoming a Christ Focused Church, - "It is my deepest desire that we become a far more Christ-focused and biblically anchored community. I hear you say that we are already Christ-centred and who is more biblically based than us? Yes, in theory that's true. But let me ask you a few simple questions, questions that I ask myself. How much time did you and I spend studying or even reading the Bible yesterday? On the other hand, how much time did we spend watching TV or doing something else just as insignificant? How much effort did we put into endeavouring to understand the life and character of Jesus and modelling our lives after Him? On the other hand, how much effort did we put into making money? It gives me considerable grief to say it, but the typical Seventh-day Adventist today is spending far more time absorbed in secular pursuits and entertainment than in the Word of God, and we are far more focused on earning a living than letting God live through us. I don't say this to be judgemental. I say this because I love our church. And when I see the way we invest our time and the priorities around which we organise our lives, I know that God has something better for us. Something higher, something deeper. God wants to do miracles in our lives - but we have to open that door so He can. We need to be Christ focused and Biblically Anchored.

Edited by Sojourner

• Administrators

Amen! This is something I have been thinking about on a personal level. It is scary, how ingrained worldliness is in me  :(

What gives me some relief is when I pray for contentment of heart. That is the only way I get a break from impulsiveness in serving my various whims. 

It's a battle... And as time passes new insights come to mind. Can't rest a day without vigilance on this point.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

I like how the writer connects Christ-centeredness with the personal conviction of each member, not only in the church in theory.

• Like 3

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

This is the focus of The One Project--to make Christ the central focus of both our life and our doctrine.

Edited by Gregory Matthews
  • Like 3

Gregory

• Administrators

Yes, Amen and Amen!!

Edited by Gail
Quote deleted for you :) -Gail
  • Like 2

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

What Dr. Oliver says in the article is true not only of SDA'a but believers in general.  We are entering a period of time in history where all will be cornered into making that commitment - Are we going to continue to submit to the ways of the world (especially in light of current moral, environmental, and economic decay), or are we going to recommit and dedicate ourselves to upholding the standards of Christ?  We are in a time that could be a powerful catalyst for revival! I and many I have spoken to are seriously reevaluating the level of their commitment to the standards of the Kingdom.

This is the focus of The One Project--to make Christ the central focus of both our life and our doctrine.

It seems "strange" that some of those societies who condemn the ordination of women declare The One Project to be a gate of perdition. That is one great reason why we need to dwell much more on Christ through Scripture than contemplating the thoughts of those sceptical independent ministries.

• Like 2