ClubAdventist is back!

University of New Hampshire Tries to Ban the Word ‘American’ Because America is Bad

University of New Hampshire Tries to Ban the Word ‘American’ Because America is Bad

Once again we see that if you parents are spending tens of thousands sending your kids to our fetid colleges and universities, you are paying to have them indoctrinated in anti-Americanism. This time the University of New Hampshire is trying to ban the word “American” because, they claim, it is a “trigger word” and “American” is hate speech.

educat_indoctrinate_large.png

A “Bias-Free Language Guide” forced on students at UNH says that they should never use the word “American” becauseAmerica is very, very bad.

“American,” “illegal alien,” “foreigners,” “mothering,” and “fathering” are just a handful of words deemed “problematic” by the University of New Hampshire’s Bias-Free Language Guide.

According to the university’s website, the guide “is meant to invite inclusive excellence in [the] campus community.”

The guide defines words such as “homosexual” as “problematic,” offering “Same Gender Loving” as a more inclusive substitute. Similarly, a lack of gender-neutral bathrooms is, according to the university, “ciscentrism.”

The university defines “ciscentrism” as “[a] pervasive and institutionalized system that places transgender people in the ‘other’ category and treats their needs and identities as less important than those of cisgender people.”

“Ciscentrism,” according to the university, “includes the lack of gender-neutral restrooms, locker rooms, and residences.”

Saying “American” to reference Americans is also problematic. The guide encourages the use of the more inclusive substitutes “U.S. citizen” or “Resident of the U.S.”

The guide also tries to get students to stop saying “Caucasian,” “illegal Immigrant,” “mother,” “father” and even the word “healthy” is said to shame those who aren’t healthy.

Since the story ran, UNH President Mark Huddleston is suddenly claiming that he opposes the “Bias-Free Language Guide” and is “troubled” by the things in it. But this guide has been around for some time and this president never said a word about it until the news went across the nation the UNH was trying to ban the word “American.”

Sounds like he is just trying to cover, to me. He HAD to have known all this was in the school’s “language” guide.

Trending

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

weird... but it isn't campus policy.

According to an Associated Press news report:

The guide appears as a resource on a UNH website detailing the university's efforts to create an inclusive, diverse and equitable community. It says is meant to serve as a "starting point" to encourage critical thinking about terms commonly used in conversation and writing.

One section warns against the terms "older people, elders, seniors, senior citizens." It suggests "people of advanced age" as preferable, though it notes that some have "reclaimed" the term "old people." Other preferred terms include "person of material wealth" instead of rich, "person who lacks advantages that others have" instead of poor and "people of size" to replace the word overweight.

In another suggestion unlikely to gain traction in New England, the guide suggests "y'all" as a better option than "guys" when referring to a group of people.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/07/29/university-president-offended-by-bias-free-language-guide 

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

"people of size"... "people of advanced age" ....  :stars:

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

weird... but it isn't campus policy.

According to an Associated Press news report:

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/07/29/university-president-offended-by-bias-free-language-guide 

It didn't say it was campus policy.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Where do you find this stuff at?

Not difficult to run across liberal political correctness gone crazy. This can be found in several places,USA  and AP among others.. And no I don't believe it is an enforceable policy at this time.

Just the continual chipping away 

“Bias-Free Language Guide”

If the story is true, the guide is yet another byproduct of constipated minds. May God save America if these "educated" Nazi/Communist professors and students are ever in a position to make the laws of the land. Then there will be "Burn the Constitution Day", "National Flag Defecation Week", "Patriot Shaming Games" and "Bullhorns Against Freedom of Speech". Not to mention the banning of Christians and Jews from attending any publicly-funded US universities unless they have their mouths duct-taped and wear helmets (for protection when getting hit with rocks) whenever they are on campus.

Political Correctness=Intolerance of Other Viewpoints

Diversity alone keeps Totalitarianism at bay.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

"Parental unit" or "sperm/egg donor" instead of mother/father

"Reality challenged" instead of "politically correct"

• Members

"Reality challenged" instead of "politically correct"

Exactly JoeMo. The label "politically correct" is so over used, its unreal. I hear that term more on this forum, by a few, than on all the news stations put together. Really sad!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Exactly JoeMo. The label "politically correct" is so over used, its unreal. I hear that term more on this forum, by a few, than on all the news stations put together. Really sad!!

Maybe that is because we are bombarded by totally idiotic suggestions/guide to "correct" speech. Do you think anyone that is striving for political correctness and sucking up to special interest groups are going to announce they are being politically correct in their suggestions or in their desire to see certain phrases used.

Edited by bonnie

Those faculty members of UNH are either stupid or have too much time on their hand and do not know what to do!  Soon they will come out with some other prohibitive terms such as you may not call some female as "beautiful" or "attractive" as these words are discriminatory.  You may not call someone "tall" as this is also discriminatory against the shorties.   These guys are being paid by the tax payers of New Hampshire to  come up with such a foolish and ridiculous ideas!

From a U.S. citizen not a foreigner!

"Parental unit"

"Parental unit". Was that not a term from a Saturday Night Live skit involving aliens from outer space. Did anyone tell these people that the term "parental unit" was meant to be comedy and not real life?

I think there has been too much manipulation of the language to accommadate too many people with grievances. Even the "n" word gets used in a racist manner. Some people with exemplary careers with marked evidence of being helpful to the Black (it that word still OK?) community have lost their careers over a slip of the tongue and used the "n" word. And why I say it is being used in a Racist manner, gangster musicians can make millions thru their music which is riddled with that word. It is even used commonly by one guy to another in the Black community. So, to penalize one community for doing something very tolerated in another community is racist. One more example of "black racism" in this country. 

I have noticed that every few years over the last several decades one community seems to devise the "acceptable" way to refer to members of that community and you better pay attention, because if you don't ... you are a racist. Don't remember what the current appropriate word is.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

Not difficult to run across liberal political correctness gone crazy. This can be found in several places,USA  and AP among others.. And no I don't believe it is an enforceable policy at this time.

Just the continual chipping away 

Bonnie, this is not just liberal pc bs.  If you were an unbiased observer you would be well aware that the conservatives have their own brand of pc as well and it is not very much different, but may be even more militantly anti-free speech.

When I was in college most, if not all pc (the term was not yet widely known when I entered college) was from the so-called liberal side of the issues.  Shortly after I returned to college and finally graduated 9 years later most pc stuff, and definitely the most anti-free speech portions of it came from the young republicans, many of whom were more "conservative" than their "adult" counterparts.  Generally this stuff comes from the extremes of both sides. Both sides have their own form of PC they try to force on society at large.  The two "sides" are not polar opposites as they would like you to believe and both are nothing more than tools of the powers that be which use both to further their own agenda and lead the unthinking masses about by the nose. Both sides are a long way from the ideals of the Kingdom of Heaven and if Christians would ever study scriptures they would find that skewed by sin as they are, the "liberal's" social policies are more often than not much closer to God's truth than the "conservative's" principles are.  It is just that both sides alike have completely rejected God's law; both claim the moral high ground and the rejection of God and his ways by the "liberals" is a bit more honest than that of the "conservatives" who wear their religion on their sleeves, and like Judah claim their idolatry is the true worship of the God of Heaven (see Jeremiah 3 and the contrast between Israel (liberals) and Judah (conservatives), both of whom worshiped the same idols.)

Yes, it is just continual chipping away, but both sides are guilty, and the self-righteous side is more so.

. Both sides are a long way from the ideals of the Kingdom of Heaven and if Christians would ever study scriptures they would find that skewed by sin as they are, the "liberal's" social policies are more often than not much closer to God's truth than the "conservative's" principles are.

Can you tell me which conserative principals you are referring to?

• Like 1

Can you tell me which conserative principals you are referring to?

And what those liberal social policies that are so much more Biblical would be nice also.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

• Moderators
the Black

There must be some contamination in that water in Kentucky!!!

The only explanation that makes sense is willful ignorance on your part when it comes to the use of the N word. You can use it if you really want to but you seem upset that you can't use it anymore!!!

Edited by lazarus

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

There must be some contamination in that water in Kentucky!!!

The only explanation that makes sense is willful ignorance on your part when it comes to the use of the N word. You can use it if you really want to but you seem upset that you can't use it anymore!!!

Answering the likes of a post from you, Lazurus, only gets me into trouble here at C/A. If you can't understand my post, sorry you don't have the smarts. Just another rude post from you.

As far as me using the "N" word. I don't use it. Neither should gangster musicians or any of the other guys in the black community. 

As far as the water in Kentucky, I only drink bottled water from California. That might be some of the problem.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

• Moderators

Answering the likes of a post from you, Lazurus, only gets me into trouble here at C/A.

You're a grown man. Shouldn't be chagrined by some push-back. You did answer me and did well. Curious to know how you would have answered if there was not possibility of trouble.

If you can't understand my post, sorry you don't have the smarts. Just another rude post from you.

I'm quite clear. I just didn't think there were still people in places with running water that said "of being helpful to the Black". I don't believe that you use the word but a lot of white people who complain about it's use between black people often sound jealous. Why should you care? I feel like you're saying if I can't then you shouldn't either.

It's NOT racist for a black person to call another black person the N word by the way. Just stating the obvious.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

A question for Lazarus: You said that the use of that word is not racist when used by one black to another; but at the very least, is it offensive to the ear? 

There are words that people can use to describe me that I find offensive--even if it were as if I said them to myself.

And what those liberal social policies that are so much more Biblical would be nice also.

I would be content to hear just what conservative principals are being referred to.Doesn't look like an answer will be supplied

"liberal's" social policies are more often than not much closer to God's truth than the "conservative's" principles are.  

I'm quite clear. I just didn't think there were still people in places with running water that said "of being helpful to the Black". I don't believe that you use the word but a lot of white people who complain about it's use between black people often sound jealous. Why should you care? I feel like you're saying if I can't then you shouldn't either.

It's NOT racist for a black person to call another black person the N word by the way. Just stating the obvious.

I can think of one liberal judge once who was known for letting thugs get off easy in his court. When really pressed by one of his defendants in his court, he let slip the "N" word. He ultimately was removed from the bench for it. Given that thuggery seems to be approved here for some, letting them off easy could be called "being helpful to the black community." Although in reality, even when they got away with it in terms of light sentences with the approval of the black community, most of the thugs crimes will be against the black community!

So, I am cool with the "N" word not being racist from one black to another, but when a white person uses the word and loses his job, that is racism.

BTW, I would prefer if you would stop your derogatory remarks regarding the people of Kentucky or anything to do with Kentucky.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

I believe this may have been posted before, but perhaps it should be reviewed:

White People & the Curse of Racism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eymqa5hF7Xg

Bill Liversidge Seminars

• Moderators

A question for Lazarus: You said that the use of that word is not racist when used by one black to another; but at the very least, is it offensive to the ear? 

Of course!!!

I don't use it. I tell my boys and people not to use it. It's offensive.

To say it is racist in that context clearly ridiculous and as such may betray another agenda.

Edited by lazarus

Einstein