ClubAdventist is back!

gooey Christians

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

Does anyone else have a distaste for "gooey" Christians?  You know, those who seem to exude saccharin-sweet spiritual platitudes and can't seem to talk about anything pertaining to the "real world" without making a spiritual connection to it, no matter how obtuse?

Those are the ones who can't seem to communicate on a common every-day level about ... well...about most *anything*, without injecting a "praise God" for their new linoleum or upon changing a light bulb, telling everyone about their *wonderful* prayer life while getting stung by a bee, or acting as if they are concerned about the well-being of others while tootling around oblivious to the *needs* of others...

I've most often seen "gooey Christianity" in women, but some men are into it as well.  While some of these folks may well have that type of personality naturally and honestly believe they are acting in a Christian manner, it just comes across as very phony to me.

I think the bottom line for me is that before you start jabbering about spiritual matters, you'd best be making sure that someone's lower level of needs are being taken care of.  A simple "I'll pray for you" doesn't cut the mustard if someone is hungry or shoeless.  You can't eat or wear words.

And when someone anywhere asks a question or begins a conversation, it doesn't automatically signal a "time to witness" dialog.  Be real.  Be human.  Be genuine.  Just don't be a gooey Christian...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Great term! I know of one person IRL who does this, and they are a man! There's a lot of gooey Christians on FB though. Many of the gooey ones I noticed were people who seemed "real" when I knew them in their teens, but as adults (especially as parents) they "gooed" with age. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

If I hear another phone message end with "Have a blessed day"...  GAH  

My mother-in-law was fond of the quip "That person is so heavenly minded they are no earthly good."    

• Like 4

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Does anyone else have a distaste for "gooey" Christians?  You know, those who seem to exude saccharin-sweet spiritual platitudes and can't seem to talk about anything pertaining to the "real world" without making a spiritual connection to it, no matter how obtuse?

Those are the ones who can't seem to communicate on a common every-day level about ... well...about most *anything*, without injecting a "praise God" for their new linoleum or upon changing a light bulb, telling everyone about their *wonderful* prayer life while getting stung by a bee, or acting as if they are concerned about the well-being of others while tootling around oblivious to the *needs* of others...

I've most often seen "gooey Christianity" in women, but some men are into it as well.  While some of these folks may well have that type of personality naturally and honestly believe they are acting in a Christian manner, it just comes across as very phony to me.

I think the bottom line for me is that before you start jabbering about spiritual matters, you'd best be making sure that someone's lower level of needs are being taken care of.  A simple "I'll pray for you" doesn't cut the mustard if someone is hungry or shoeless.  You can't eat or wear words.

And when someone anywhere asks a question or begins a conversation, it doesn't automatically signal a "time to witness" dialog.  Be real.  Be human.  Be genuine.  Just don't be a gooey Christian...

There is a good principle for that also.

14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.....Matthew 10

God is Love!  Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

I have known really super pleasing people who will not risk any conversation that would encourage any thinking, much too risky.  There was only sweetness and no assertiveness of any measure.  It was very hard to stomach it, really.

Then i have known those who so control conversation to not permit any thought that conflicts with their thinking and cared little whether this involved abrasiveness to almost any extreme short of physically striking someone, very intimidating, and imposing.

And there are agenda's and personal issues that cause these manners to develop.  I still try to reach out and connect with those who relate in these modes.  It stretches me.

I don't think there is a perfect fit with any two people, and graciousness is always needed, sometimes more and other times less.

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

I've known some "gushers", if you know what I mean. They're probably "gooey", too, suffering from being religiously brainwashed and obsessively optimistic. Prayers are much-abused, but someday we will know what to ask the LORD for, not the ridiculous stuff of today.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Administrators

"Gooey or Gushers"  in my experience are not necessarily reserved for Christians.  Ladies seem to be more gooey than men ... but some are so consistently sticky sweet (vocally & verbally)  that I feel my stomach turn.  And, yes if they add God Bless You's, Praise The Lord, etc., after almost every comment is a bit too much.

Most recently I have known those who respond to any comment, "Good message ... Children's story, etc.." with  "Praise the  Lord" .  Not that this is bad, but how do you respond/react? 

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

My suggestion... respond to all those "praise the Lord" and "amens" with an honest  amen, and a smile.  weep with those who weep, rejoice with those who rejoice.

• Like 3

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

"Gooey or Gushers"  in my experience are not necessarily reserved for Christians.  Ladies seem to be more gooey than men ... but some are so consistently sticky sweet (vocally & verbally)  that I feel my stomach turn.  And, yes if they add God Bless You's, Praise The Lord, etc., after almost every comment is a bit too much.

Most recently I have known those who respond to any comment, "Good message ... Children's story, etc.." with  "Praise the  Lord" .  Not that this is bad, but how do you respond/react? 

yes Naomi, you hit the nail on the head, it is an issue apart from faith, it is a personality issue.  And it has it's causes.

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

Sometimes I wonder if such ones had ever experienced the "stuff" of life, the events that break us down and make us more real.

But I don't know where sugar-sweetness comes from. I used to hate Carpenters music for the same reason but perhaps if I knew beforehand that she was struggling with anorexia and self-worth issues that might have helped me like the songs more. It's like Karen Carpenter was not allowed to be real until near the end of her life. That was too bad, for her honesty at that period helped me to like her more.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

I know some who are sticky sweet and have experienced the tough things of life.  As someone recently said about a mutual friend ... there is no way we will ever know if she is okay because she is always "on stage"

• Like 2

• Administrators

So true.  When I encounter folks like this I tend to suspect it as being a facade, a mask they wear.  Under many circumstances, even beyond the gooey ones, I wonder about what people's lives are really like, what they are really like when nobody is looking. So often people are just afraid of not being accepted if people really knew the truth.   I think it really is a rare human being that is genuine and transparent in a real sense of "what you see is what you get."  But we all are flawed and damaged in some way.  There really is something freeing about letting go of worrying about what others might think and just being honest about our warts and insecurities.  

While the gooey ones may seem obviously superficial and may often be harmlessly annoying in their gooeyness, they may just be insecure and ha no ill motives other than saving face.   The ones that concern me are the ones with ulterior motives, the ones that are just "playing" you for some devious purpose, manipulating you to get what they want or with a real intent to deceive. 

• Like 3

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

It all depends on the person and the circumstance. To an unhappy orcynical person, a happy person can be an irritation and hard to relate with. If a person is happy, and just says i will pray for you, even though you need help, then it is just a self righteous happiness that is superficial. It is hard to lump people into a box. We are not carbon copies of each other.

Edited by brotherly love

• Administrators

Yes, the people who are wearing the mask (façade) are often simply insecure.  However, it is sometimes difficult to spot the ones who are "playing" you.  Until you have proof of motive, how do you separate those who are genuine and those who become your greatest admirer?  With each birthday I do seem to be less concerned about being accepted by others and more concerned with my relationship with our Lord.  A rather nice tradeoff. 

• Like 2

Yes, the people who are wearing the mask (façade) are often simply insecure.  However, it is sometimes difficult to spot the ones who are "playing" you.  Until you have proof of motive, how do you separate those who are genuine and those who become your greatest admirer?  With each birthday I do seem to be less concerned about being accepted by others and more concerned with my relationship with our Lord.  A rather nice tradeoff. 

You can notice them quickly if their words don't contain actions. I guess Judas would have looked like a model believer, but when the time came, it was all about what he was going to get out of the deal.

This of course would vary from person to person and circumstance to circumstance.

Edited by brotherly love

• Members

sometimes I just head for the nearest door/exit

lol...that's what I would do...  the other would seem phony for me to do.  I'm not a "praise the Lord", "AMEN", or "Blessings" type of person (I used to be, though, for a short time, and found it problematic because it was more of a facade, and I didn't like that.)    Those who weep in my presence would find me sympathetic, empathetic, and if I can be helpful, I will... - but having two people falling apart doesn't really help anything.  And I'll "rejoice" (a very 'religious' and biblical word) with someone if I indeed feel happy for them.  For example, perhaps an acquaintance got a new car, and is really "rejoicing" about it.  The fact that he/she got a new car doesn't really impact me in any way.  I might say, "nice" or something similar to acknowledge the purchase (or the birth of someone's new grandkid or whatever), but I'm not one to gush about someone's event simply to prove I'm somehow more interested than I really am .... if I say that's GREAT! or Congratulations! or something similar, it's because I actually have an emotional reaction to the event.

Some don't like that about me, and it's far different from my sibling who is a Praise the Lord, Amen, and Blessings type of person.  But at least people know I'm upfront and honest, and genuinely mean what I say to them.  

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I'm not a huge fan of gooey Christians; but neither am I a fan of the hardline rebukers.  If I had to deal with one of the 2 extremes, I'd rather deal with gooeyness than hardline rebuke.

Wishing all you gooey people out there a blessed and sactified day; and to all you hardliners - whatever... :rollingsmile:

• Like 2

• Members

one doesn't need to be a "hardline rebuker" in order to avoid being a gooey Christian...  :(

I have a VERY gooey friend.  She's always praising, etc, etc.  She would want to say long prayers in public restaurants.  I finally told her I was NOT COMFORTABLE with that practice.  To me, it seemed like showing off how holy you are.  She has lightened up on a LOT of that behavior, when she's with me. 

My husband - on the other hand - is VERY UNgooey (never rebuking though).  He just says he can't imagine God wanting to hear him say the same prayers, over, and over, and over.  I told my husband, "Don't you give me I-luv-you type cards for my BD and our anniversary?  Well - Don't you think God would enjoy hearing 'I love you'. or 'I thank you' every now and then?"  He agreed - that Sabbath and the Feast celebrations would be a good time for that.   

It's a delicate balance - and a personal one.   

• Like 2

8thdaypriest

one doesn't need to be a "hardline rebuker" in order to avoid being a gooey Christian...  :(

One doesn't have to be either gooey or ahardline rebuker to be a good Christian.  I couldn't find a verse in the Bible to support it, but I think there is a ditch on either side of the narrow way.

• Like 2

• Members

One doesn't have to be either gooey or ahardline rebuker to be a good Christian.  I couldn't find a verse in the Bible to support it, but I think there is a ditch on either side of the narrow way.

sorry... I didn't realize this had morphed into good vs bad Christian... (and not trying to be snarky...just didn't realize that's where the topic had gone..)

Carry on.. 

**stepping off **

Sorry Pam; "good Christian" was a poor choice of words.  Maybe "attractive Christian"?  Or "normal"?  I didn't mean to sound snarky with my response, either.  Just saying we don't have to be gooey or hardline; there is a middle road.