ClubAdventist is back!

WORDS of Wisdom from ELLEN WHITE on dealing with Catholics

Stan

Like others of the mid- 1800 Adventists who came out of Protestant thinking at the time, were very much, "in your face" type of confrontation with Catholic.

As Ellen White grew and matured, she counselled going away from that. We used to have a thread on that but I can not find it.  Many were disappointed as they viewed slamming Catholics as what they should do.

Lets get this going again..

so 

- - -- -- - -

WORDS of Wisdom from ELLEN WHITE on dealing with Catholics.

Edited by Stan

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Like others of the mid- 1800 Adventists who came out of Protestant thinking at the time, were very much, "in your face" type of confrontation with Catholic.

As Ellen White grew and matured, she counselled going away from that. We used to have a thread on that but I can not find it.  Many were disappointed as they viewed slamming Catholics as what they should do.

Lets get this going again..

so 

- - -- -- - -

WORDS of Wisdom from ELLEN WHITE on dealing with Catholics.

Regarding the Catholics—Brethren, I feel hurt when I see that so many decided thrusts are made against the Catholics. Preach the truth, but restrain the words which show a harsh spirit; for such words cannot help or enlighten anyone. The Echo is a paper that should be circulated largely. Do not do anything that would hinder its sale. There is no reason why it should not be as a light shining in a dark place. But for Christ’s sake heed the admonitions which have been given in regard to making scathing remarks about the Catholics. Many Catholics read the Echo, and among the number there are honest souls who will accept the truth. But there is such a thing as shutting the door in their faces as they are about to enter.

White, E. G. (1946). Counsels to Writers and Editors (pp. 64–65). Southern Publishing Association.

No Condemnatory Articles—The light which I have to give to our people is, Let no condemnatory speeches be printed in our papers. A large number of precious souls are groping in darkness, yet longing and weeping and praying for light. Thus it is in churches everywhere.—Manuscript 46, 1900.
No Gall.—Every article you write may be all truth, but one drop of gall in it will be poison to the reader. One reader will discard all your good and acceptable words because of that drop of poison. Another will feed on the poison, for he loves such harsh words.—Letter 91, 1899.