ClubAdventist is back!

Jimmy Carter's Faith

GayatfootofCross

Picture

‘To want what I have, to take what I’m given with grace … for this, I pray.’

— ‘For My Wedding,’

Don Henley

America is a nation of faith. So it is often said.

In faith, a baker refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple’s wedding. In faith, a minister prays for the president to die. In faith, terrorists plant bombs at the finish line of a marathon. In faith, mosques are vandalized, shot at and burned. In faith, a televangelist asks his followers to buy him a $65 million private jet.

And no one is even surprised anymore.

In America, what we call faith is often loud, often exclusionary, sometimes violent and too frequently enamored of shiny, expensive things. In faith, ill-tempered people mob the shopping malls every year at Christmas to have fistfights and gunfights over hot toys and highend electronics.

You did not hear much about faith last week when Jimmy Carter held a news conference to reveal that he has four spots of cancer on his brain. The 39th president made only a few references to it in the nearly 40 minutes he spoke, and they were all in response to reporter’s questions. Yet, you would be hard-pressed to find a more compelling statement of belief in things not seen. Unsentimental, poised and lit from within by an amazing grace, Carter discussed the fight now looming ahead of him, the radiation treatments he will undergo, the need to finally cut back on his whirlwind schedule.

He smiled often. “I’m perfectly at ease with whatever comes,” he said, in such a way that you believed him without question. And it was impossible to feel sorry for him.

Partially, that’s because we all die and if — still only an if — cancer is what takes James Earl Carter Jr. away, well, there are worse things than to go having reached 90 years of age, having been president of the United States, having been married to the love of your life for almost seven decades, having sired a large and sprawling family and having done significant work toward the eradication of disease and the spreading of democracy in the developing world.

But here’s the other reason it was impossible to feel sorry for him. Feeling sorry would have felt like an insult, a denial of the virtues he showed and the faith he didn’t need to speak because it was just … there.

For all its loudness, all its exclusion, violence and ubiquity, the faith that is modeled in the public square is often not particularly affecting. It is hard to imagine someone looking on it from outside and musing to herself, “I’d like to have some of that.” What Carter showed the world, though, was different. Who would not want to be able to face the unknown with such perfect equanimity?

Carter presented an image of faith we don’t see nearly as often as we should. Which is sad, because it is also the image truest to what faith is supposed to be — not a magic lamp you rub in hopes of a private jet, not a license for our worse impulses, but, rather, an act of surrender to a force greater than self, a way of being centered enough to tell whatever bleak thing comes your way, “So be it.” Even fearsome death itself: “So be it.”

The heat and hubris of human life are such that that state is difficult to conceive, much less to reach. Our lives are defined by wanting and by lack — more money, new car, new love — and by the ceaseless hustle to fill empty spaces within. Media and advertising conspire to make you feel ever incomplete. So it is hard to feel whole within yourself, at peace with what is, whatever that turns out to be.

But who, gazing upon the former president, can doubt the result is worth the effort?

In faith, terrorists kill the innocent. In faith, televangelists swindle the gullible. In faith, so many of us hate, exclude, hurt, curse and destroy. And in faith, last week, Jimmy Carter told the world he has cancer in his brain.

And smiled as he spoke.

Leonard Pitts Jr., winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for commentary, is a columnist for the Miami Herald, 3511 N.W. 91 Ave., Doral, FL 33172. Readers may write to him via email

at lpitts@miamiherald.com

http://www.epaperedition.com/Olive/Tablet/BurlingtonTimes/SharedArticle.aspx?href=BUR%2F2015%2F08%2F27&id=Ar00401

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

• Administrators

The remarks here remind me of what Ghandi said of the Christian religion; that he would believe it if it weren't for Christians. We need to put out some better PR for our Master...

Edited by Gail
  • Like 3

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Picture

America is a nation of faith. So it is often said.

In faith, a baker refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple’s wedding. In faith, a minister prays for the president to die. In faith, terrorists plant bombs at the finish line of a marathon. In faith, mosques are vandalized, shot at and burned. In faith, a televangelist asks his followers to buy him a $65 million private jet.

And no one is even surprised anymore.

In America, what we call faith is often loud, often exclusionary, sometimes violent and too frequently enamored of shiny, expensive things. In faith, ill-tempered people mob the shopping malls every year at Christmas to have fistfights and gunfights over hot toys and high end electronics.

I think we need to outlaw christian faith,it is the obvious solution to all that is wrong in the world. 

As we all know a baker that refuses because of his religious beliefs is synonymous with terrorists that plant bombs and burn mosques .To say nothing of those ill tempered christians in a shopping mall.

What a peaceful world we could have if we could silence those described above Knowing that terrorists are closely allied with "christian bakers" it should not be that difficult .

The loving christians are allied with those that will gleefully destroy a business if that business is unchristian enough to hold a belief other than theirs.How dare they?

Just think no more racism,no more people feeling they have a right to a religious belief beyond what the true christians allow them,no more fist fights in the shopping malls.

What's not to like and support?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Though Jimmy Carter was not considered to be a good president by some, no one gives the reason. I believe he is a good man, may not have been a good president because he is an honest man.  An honest man do not make a good politician.  I read a book about him.  I highly recommend this book regardless one's party affiliation.

• Like 2

Though Jimmy Carter was not considered to be a good president by some, no one gives the reason. I believe he is a good man, may not have been a good president because he is an honest man.  An honest man do not make a good politician.  I read a book about him.  I highly recommend this book regardless one's party affiliation.

There was a book written about him once by a Secret Service agent. It was not very complimentary. The books written by Secret Service agents are very informative!

While he appeared to live a good Christian life, he was not a very competent president.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

Yes I was there!

It didn't go well. 

:hanging:

And of Course, Ronald Reagan had them keep the Iran Embassy Hostages off American Soil till the moment He became President.

Negotiations ( i wont say what they negotiated for ) were made prior but the release  wasn't going to happen while Jimmy was Prez!

#stay in the small Heavily guarded box till Reagan looks GOOD and Carter looks BAD!

POLITICS!

I believe Reagan will be in heaven and while on earth he was a Masterful Showman

Carter has been a Masterful Showman the closer he gets to JESUS ..for JESUS and for umpteem others

Edited by GayatfootofCross

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

Romeo and Juliet

Yes I was there!

It didn't go well. 

And of Course, Ronald Reagan had them keep the Iran Embassy Hostages off American Soil till the moment He became President.

Negotiations ( i wont say what they negotiated for ) were made prior but the release  wasn't going to happen while Jimmy was Prez!

#stay in the small Heavily guarded box till Reagan looks GOOD and Carter looks BAD!

POLITICS!

I believe Reagan will be in heaven and while on earth he was a Masterful Showman

Carter has been a Masterful Showman the closer he gets to JESUS ..for JESUS and for umpteem others

Given that any statement made by some is followed with an immediate demand for proof  I assume you have some for this...

Yes I was there!

It didn't go well. 

It is doubtful if Iran would ever have released them to Carter. More than likely any one elected president would have been more palatable to Iran than Carter or giving him credit.The  Iranian hated Carter because he offered the Shah asylum I believe  and he let evil Khomeini to get in power. 

Somehow I doubt you were privy to ...

POLITICS

Edited by bonnie

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Members

The funny thing about that whole situation is this: Being that Mr Carter has always been a Muslim sympathizer, one of the very few things I never agreed with him on. I always wondered why the Iranians didn't want to work with Mr Carter?? If it were not for the helicopter mishap, which is the reason I believe the Iranians didn't like him, things would've been a lot different. So maybe the rumors about Mr Reagan could've been true, I tend to believe Mr Reagan wouldn't do something like that, but like they say, you never know!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

The funny thing about that whole situation is this: Being that Mr Carter has always been a Muslim sympathizer, one of the very few things I never agreed with him on. I always wondered why the Iranians didn't want to work with Mr Carter?? If it were not for the helicopter mishap, which is the reason I believe the Iranians didn't like him, things would've been a lot different. So maybe the rumors about Mr Reagan could've been true, I tend to believe Mr Reagan wouldn't do something like that, but like they say, you never know!!

If I remember right the intense hatred started over the Shah of Iran and Carter would not send him back??

Who is perfect, hold up your hand.  What, no hands?

So why all the attempts to trash President Carter?

Was a nice, insightful article...can't we just leave it at that?

• Like 2

So who is trashing him? I think most felt he was basically a good man but an incompetent president. Having cancer does not change his presidency. Neither does an incompetent presidency change the fact he appeared to be a good man. 

One of the things I have noticed about ex-Presidents is that they are usually very respectful of current and other ex-Presidents. So, I was mystified when Jimmy Carter took to criticizing George W. Bush early in his presidency. You have not seen President Bush doing the same thing to the current POTUS. I had previously thought highly of Carter even if he was not from my line of political line of thought and he was in my opinion not a very competent president. However, with his critical behavior, I pretty much lost any positive thought of his presidency.

For those who remember, it went beyond just the Iran hostage event, but the economy was in shambles when he left office. Inflation as I recall was sometime near the end of his presidency at over 20%/year.

What I found funny regarding him was the story the Secret Service agent wrote about him. It seems he was noted to show up bright and early in the am for his day at work, close the doors to the office, and go back to sleep on the couch!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

One of the things I have noticed about ex-Presidents is that they are usually very respectful of current and other ex-Presidents. So, I was mystified when Jimmy Carter took to criticizing George W. Bush early in his presidency. You have not seen President Bush doing the same thing to the current POTUS. I had previously thought highly of Carter even if he was not from my line of political line of thought and he was in my opinion not a very competent president. However, with his critical behavior, I pretty much lost any positive thought of his presidency.

For those who remember, it went beyond just the Iran hostage event, but the economy was in shambles when he left office. Inflation as I recall was sometime near the end of his presidency at over 20%/year.

What I found funny regarding him was the story the Secret Service agent wrote about him. It seems he was noted to show up bright and early in the am for his day at work, close the doors to the office, and go back to sleep on the couch!

lol

The older I get the more I get that!

He will always be my favorite EX.

:)

Romeo and Juliet

He will always be my favorite EX.

:)

I voted for him, but changed my political thought around then also.

I guess I was sort of living the saying:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Churchhill

• Like 1

Bill Liversidge Seminars

I voted for him, but changed my political thought around then also.

I guess I was sort of living the saying:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

- Churchhill

i was too young to vote in 76 election

oh gosh math

then in Sept of 1979 i was almost of Age..but not quite

We really down on Carter cause of everything..

Then I would have voted for Reagan?

He was a Saviour!

O wow!

Pssst.. I am a Registered Republican but not for reasons peeps might think.

• Like 1

Romeo and Juliet

- Churchhill

"If Churchill had really said all of the things attributed to him, he'd still be talking."

- Pierre-Paul

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

"If Churchill had really said all of the things attributed to him, he'd still be talking."

- Pierre-Paul

Well, you may be right, but it is quite the feat to be so great in people's minds that it is believed you said all the great things. Unlike you and I, no one will remember our witty sayings quite rapidly after we go to the grave!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

Well, here's another Churchill quote:  Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

I must say, great minds think alike....   

LOL.  I hope those who I disagree with can see how far my tongues was pushed into my cheek....  I'm in awe of the man's intellect.  To be able to quote entire chapters of The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire verbatim 30 years after he read it is mind boggling.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Jimmy Carter was basically a disciple of Woodrow Wilson.  He was Carter's hero.  That does not say anything good about Carter.  Wilson was basically a dictator and it was a member of his administration that Hermann Goering copied his methods of propoganda from.  http://www.criticalthink.info/webindex/bernays.htm

Freedom of thought, freedom of political expression, etc... disappeared under Wilson, and he actively desegregated the US government.  In other words, Wilson was an out and out racist tyrant  That Jimmy Carter thought he was a great example doesn't speak well for Carter. 

http://millercenter.org/president/biography/carter-domestic-affairs

The above link is a short article on Jimmy Carter's political philosphy.

Edited by joeb
Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• 3 weeks later...

i love watching a man of GOD grow (decades)  in JESUS

even from afar

carter_jimmy_yes__n.thumb.jpg.4f8a6c4d97

• Like 2

Romeo and Juliet

• 2 weeks later...

Gayatthefoot,

For me it is hard to read that quote from Pres Carter, and then spin my head around and read his words supporting Hezballah.  I can't change gears that quickly. 

• Like 1