ClubAdventist is back!

Door-to-door evangelism

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members
4 hours ago, news said:

A U.S. conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and two of its members filed a lawsuit against an Arkansas city on Jan. 19 over a local ordinance that prevents door-to-door literature evangelism.

View the full article

the above link does not work.  Here is the link:  http://www.adventistreview.org/church-news/story3620-adventists-file-lawsuit-against-us-city-for-banning-literature-evangelism

To be honest, I despise getting a knock on my door from agents of the LDS church, Jehovah's Witness, Assembly of God, SDA, or anyone else.  While I understand the concept of evangelism and witnessing and the idea of selling religious books, I just cringe when I find out the people on my porch are 1) trying to sell me something, and 2) inquiring as to if I "know Jesus" or am "saved"...   I try to be polite, but I really find it to be an invasion of my privacy.  And many of those people just do not let it go, and keep prying.  I really don't have the time nor inclination to engage with such people.

(This is not to say that Literature Evangelists have not done good work.  My mom became acquainted with the SDA church from a colporteur in the mid 1950s.)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I think Pam is right, we need to realize that people in general have become more suspicious or hostile towards door-to-door work. At least I think this is the case here in the West, perhaps such work is more successful in other parts of the world?

A few decades ago, knocking on doors to offer your products was still a relatively common and legitimate way of doing business. Nowadays, door sellers are often viewed with suspicion, the general consensus is that many sell overpriced goods and exploit the unsuspecting and naive. And then there are JW's or Mormons...

Such attitudes ultimately affects adventists doing door-to-door evangelism, selling religious books, handing out tracts, etc. I wonder if Ellen White would have different advice about door-to-door evangelism if she was alive today?

After all, when the reaction of people who are visited by evangelists is to call the police, this should be a warning to us that things have changed.

• Administrators

The ordinances which are usually referred to as "The Green River Ordinance" have been around and enforced in various areas in the country for many years. When I was canvassing we were told that if we were informed that we could not go door-to-door, to zigzag from house-to-house back and forth across the street. Then you are not going door-to-door. More recently I have been involved with various door-to-door projects; in from the Midwest to the east coast. Not everyone opens the door, that's okay. When they do, a nice smile to go with your neat appearance, a step backward, and keeping your introduction short usually disarms even the most suspicious person.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members

It's not that I'm suspicious of the salespeople or canvassers — it's more an issue of annoyance and inconvenience...  If someone knocks on my door, it had better be for an emergency type of reason, or as the result of an appointment to see me.  Selling books or vacuum cleaners, handing out tracts, or strangers questioning my personal spiritual life doesn't cut the mustard with me.   The only exception I make is for children.  I won't be irritated with students/kids' groups trying earn money for projects.  (But I simply refuse to go to the door for trick-or-treaters!)  Bah!  Humbug! :)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

And that seems to be the remaining stronghold for literature evangelism.  Using kids.  Kids aren't doing it to also make a living, so effort expended to earn something at a summer job is OK for them.  And as you have said, people will open the door to a kid.  But how much longer will books and print magazines still be great sellers?  And what is the most efficient and cost effective way to market the written word in whatever form?

That and any number of other tradional forms of evangelism that are still being used leaves a very significant question.  How much will we be willing to spend before we recognize the diminishing return realized by such efforts? 

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

I don't mind door to door work, only the pressure that they are looking for either converts or sales. Door to door to share information both ways and for people to choose what they wish from what is shared and no pressure does not bother me.

• Administrators

Our overly-enthusiastic dogs usually keep door-to-door anyone at a distance. The Avon lady is scared ******** (her words). I didn't think that my Avon lady was capable of such language!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 4 weeks later...