ClubAdventist is back!

Does Grace Do Away With Law?

phkrause

• Members

Imagine taking a hike in the wilderness and becoming hopelessly lost. For the last few days, you’ve wandered for miles looking for a trail to lead you back to safety. Your food and water are depleted. You’ve slept miserably. Now you’re at the end of your rope.

Read article here:http://www.signstimes.com/?p=article&a=40054018225.786

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 weeks later...

Christianity, for the most part, believes the whole Law was abolished by Jesus. Whereas Judaism holds that the Law, as God's creation, cannot ever be abolished, even a little, though some parts (what Adventists call ceremonial) no longer apply even in Judaism simply because the things to which they would apply no longer exist and never will again.

Judaism (in all branches) teaches that the Torah, including the Ten Commandments which are part of it, apply only to Jews and not to non-Jews. Jews believe a different and universal set of laws apply to everyone, called Noachide laws, which are quoted as authoritative even in Christian scripture (Acts 15:20, 29).

Sabbath observance, for example, is therefore not included in the Noachide laws and in fact, on this basis, is even forbidden to Gentiles unless they convert fully to Judaism. As given in the Talmud, around the time of Jesus, Gentiles who hadn't converted were in fact then forbidden on pain of death to observe Sabbath, and so if any attempt had been made to have Gentiles keep the Sabbath, there would have been such an outcry among the Jews, in every city of the Roman Empire, as to make to controversy over circumcision seem like nothing at all by comparison.

The problem Jewish authorities had with Paul was, therefore, not that he was exempting Gentiles from the Torah, but that he was encouraging Jews as well to be exempt from Torah. In plain violation of Isaiah 8:20.

2 Samuel 24:1-- The LORD moved David to number Israel.

1 Chronicles 21:1-- SATAN moved David to number Israel.

"When we try to obey God’s law without grace, our righteousness is like “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6). True obedience is the result [Not the prerequisite] of a saving relationship with Jesus [not a denomination]. Through God’s amazing grace, we’re freed from the penalty of sin. Such love awakens in our hearts a desire and the power to keep the law." (emphasis mine)

I enthusiastically agree with this statement.

• Like 2

The only  "law" expressly "changed" was "the priesthood".  But if you change the priesthood, from Levite to Melcheizedek, then you also do away with the animal sacrifices, BECAUSE the Torah required all animal sacrifices to be offered at the Jerusalem Temple, by an Aaronic priest. 

8thdaypriest

Rom 7:6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

On 4/4/2016 at 4:55 PM, Robert said:

Rom 7:6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

The terms of the "old covenant" (i.e., the written code) were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Eze. 20: 11; Lev. 18: 5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them" (Deut. 27: 26). The "new covenant" was established upon "better promises"-- the promise of forgiveness of sins and of the grace of God to renew the heart and bring it into harmony with the principles of God's law.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

1.  Do the requirements differ between the OC and the NC?

2.  What promises are better under the NC?  God's promises or man's?

4 hours ago, Gerry Cabalo said:

1.  Do the requirements differ between the OC and the NC?

2.  What promises are better under the NC?  God's promises or man's?

1] No...both require absolute perfection.

2] The promise to save us "in Christ" so that He is our righteousness.  That is God's work.

41 minutes ago, Gerry Cabalo said:

Are you saying that God's promise in the OC is to save them by law?

No.  God's method of salvation has always been through Christ alone. 

Then why did God enter into the OC with Israel - didn't He know they couldn't gain heaven by keeping of the law?  Yes, He knew - the problem is they didn't know.  So  God entered the OC with Israel so they might see their need of Christ and stand justified by faith.

"Why then was the law given?" (Gal 3:19).  

Answer: "It was added because of transgressions" (Gal 3:19)

What does Paul mean?  "The Law came in so that the transgression would increase" (Rom 5:20) In other words the law wasn't given to make matters better, but worse.  Before the law people were ignorant sinners, but once the law was posted it turned sin (missing the mark) into transgression (breaking a known law).

Before Christ "we were held prisoners by the law" (Gal 3:23)  awaiting the judgment. God gave the law "to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that the faith (Christ) has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." (Gal 3:24,25)

14For He Himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has torn down the dividing wall of hostility 15by abolishing in His flesh the law of commandments and decrees. He did this to create in Himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace 16and reconciling both of them to God in one body through the cross, by which He extinguished their hostility.… Ephesians 2

Notice it says the "law of commandments and decrees or ceremonial law", not the Ten Commandment Law which is but a written revelation of His Character. I have yet to see Biblical evidence of the absolving of the Ten Commandments". In fact, a disciple of Jesus is safe in doing what He did when He was on earth.

9As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Remain in My love. 10If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and remain in His love. 11I have told you these things so that My joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.… John 15

A question that might be asked is, "If Jesus practiced them, would it be unsafe for me to keep them?

25Whoever loves his life will lose it, but whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, My servant will be as well. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. ....John 12

15He taught in their synagogues and was glorified by everyone. 16Then Jesus came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. As was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath. ....Luke 4

And if the Ten had been done away, why would the event that was to take place some seventy years after the death of Christ be encouraged?

19How miserable those days will be for pregnant and nursing mothers! 20Pray that your flight will not occur in the winter or on the Sabbath. 21For at that time there will be great tribulation, unmatched from the beginning of the world until now, and never to be seen again.… Matthew 24

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!