ClubAdventist is back!

Bush Admin attempt to stifle science squashed by Evangelicals

bevin

The Bush administration's record of appointing idiots and liars to high positions has been demonstrated yet once more...

George C. Deutsch is a NASA political appointee...

Deutsch has been suppressing scientists and scientific evidence for global warming - and, of course, Bush (who doesn't want to hear unpleasant truth's) has been touting this line also.

It has been falling out this week...

Quote:

One casualty of all this was Deutsch, who resigned when it was discovered his résumé was longer on political loyalty - work on Bush's re-election campaign - than on education. Texas A&M University said he never received the journalism degree he claimed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/2006021...nA2BHNlYwM3NDI-

Quote:

Deutsch has for months embodied the White House's earth-is-flat take on why the earth is warming, with consequences from melting glaciers to freak weather.

Working in NASA's public relations, he tried to muzzle a renowned climate scientist who - like serious scientists the world over - warns that global warming is a threat requiring government intervention to curb emissions from cars, factories and more.

This furthered the business-friendly Bush administration's increasingly lonely mantra that the science isn't solid enough for more than voluntary measures. But scientific consensus long ago moved on. The issue now is not whether global warming is happening, but how severe the effects will be.

This week, evangelical Christians, normally among President Bush's most loyal supporters, broke with him on the issue and urged action: 86 prominent figures released a statement warning that "millions of people could die" because of global warming.

One casualty of all this was Deutsch, who resigned when it was discovered his résumé was longer on political loyalty - work on Bush's re-election campaign - than on education. Texas A&M University said he never received the journalism degree he claimed.

/Bevin

Quote:

The Bush administration's record of appointing idiots and liars to high positions has been demonstrated yet once more...

Something else is demonstrated here too...

The issue isn't if global warming is happening. It is. The issue is if it is rising CO2 levels, increased solar activity or a combination of both. Some are now predicting a global cool down in a few decades due to decreased solar activity.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Sunspots reaching 1,000-year high

Quote:

But the most striking feature, he says, is that looking at the past 1,150 years the Sun has never been as active as it has been during the past 60 years.

|

Over the past few hundred years, there has been a steady increase in the numbers of sunspots, a trend that has accelerated in the past century, just at the time when the Earth has been getting warmer.

|

The data suggests that changing solar activity is influencing in some way the global climate causing the world to get warmer.

|

Over the past 20 years, however, the number of sunspots has remained roughly constant, yet the average temperature of the Earth has continued to increase.

|

This is put down to a human-produced greenhouse effect caused by the combustion of fossil fuels.

Once the solar activity slows down we could find ourselves in a little ice age and our greenhouse gases may not be enough to prevent it.

Bevin, by any chance have you read Michael Crichton's latest novel, State of Fear, where he portrays the global warming crowd as a bunch of conspirators in a massive fraud based on bad science? It is very unusual to see a novel with footnotes and appended documents in nearly every chapter. Crichton makes a strong argument against global warming. He shows how all the key evidence cited in favor of global warming is invalid, and how better data with better comparisons contradicts the conclusions that had been drawn. Granted, Chrichton is merely a fiction writer, but his documentation is compelling.

Another thing unusual about this, Crichton's 14th novel, is that it is the first one where the villains were not some corporation leadership. This time the rich, corporate mogul was one of the good guys. Maybe now that Cricton himself is rich, he is beginning to mellow a bit on the subject of villainy and riches going hand-in-hand.

Increased CO2 emissions into the atmosphere has to be contributing to global warming. The what is unknown is how much. Is global warming caused 90% by the sun and 10% by CO2 or 60% by the sun and 40% by CO2?

Quote:

Michael Crichton's latest novel, State of Fear

No, I haven't = and I have enjoyed many of his other novels, so shall add this to my reading list. Thanks for the pointer.

Unfortunately here the conspiracy appears to be in the White House. Bush, being a bear of very little brain, prefers to believe what-ever pleases his buddies looting strategies to hard science or history...

/Bevin

Quote:

The Bush administration's record of appointing idiots and liars to high positions

Quote:

Bush, being a bear of very little brain

I think I see a pattern. I just wish I was one of those idiots with a BS from Yale and an MBA from Harvard.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I would like to think that I am smart enough to have graduated from Yale and get an MBA from Harvard if given the opportunity to attend those schools. Wealth and influence get many into ivory-league schools but it doesn't help them pass any of the classes. An ivory-league degree still means a lot regardless how one got into the school.

I struggled a lot at Minnesota State. Perhaps if I wouldn't have had to work and would have had more support from my family, things would have been different but I am still not sure I would have been able to graduate from Yale. I am hoping to go to Univeristy of Texas, Pan-American for my MBA when my kids are older. I am not even sure I will score high enough on my GMAT to get in.

Meanwhile I simply saw a sign of hope that the Evangelicals broke rank and file and took the ostrich club to task over this. Bravo Evangelicals!!! I shall be sure to send this article to all my atheist and pagan friends who think anything wearing the label "Christian" is automatically anathema or suspect thereof. wink.gif

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

• Moderators

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=171#more-171

"In summary, although solar forcing is real, the implications of that are often rather overstated. Since there has been a clear history of people fooling themselves about the importance of solar-climate links, any new studies in the field need to be considered very carefully before conclusions are drawn, especially with respect the warming over recent decades, which despite all of this discussion about solar activity, is almost all related to anthropogenic greenhouse gases."

Truth is important

Quote:

despite all of this discussion about solar activity, is almost all related to anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

And what will the scientific community say in 30 years if it is -40º F & C in Chicago? When the sun cycles into a less active phase for 80 to 100 years we are going to be praying for a greenhouse effect. We just don't know what is causing the present warming nor do we know what is going to happen when the sun becomes less active.

That is not to justify CO2 emmissions. Common sense tells us we cannot be putting all this stuff in the air and not impact the environment. However we only see a snapshot of what is going on in our lifetimes. We have 50 or 60 years of data on CO2 content in the air. So science is making educated guesses which are subject to change. We have 1,000 years of observing the sun's activity.

QR Frame

“Worse, it is melting away at an alarming rate. In fact, Mars may be in the midst of a period of profound climate change, according to a new study that shows ...”

“The cyclopean feature on Jupiter’s surface has lost a third of its latitudinal measure in the last 20 years!”

…and so it goes, throughout the system.

Earth’s magnetic density field is weakening, ipso…, earth’s magma becomes more fluid, ipso…, there is projected more tectonic plate activity, ipso…

– and by appearances, it is systemic throughout the solar system and extrapolating... beyond; ipso…,

“Whazzup?”

“That’s a no-brainer. It’s Dubya causin’ it with his lyin’, an’ acheatin’, an’ astealin’, …”

“You’re so cute!” smile.gif

“Say what!?” --Pogo

And speaking of environmental issues, macro and micro…:

“Eurabia” –Mona Charen

Tha’s wha’happens when mums fail to brass their son’s testaments.

Thanks b’gory! for Texas moms blush.gif they knows

how tah brass in Texas, well, most do, anyways. Hoorah!

• Moderators

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

We just don't know what is causing the present warming nor do we know what is going to happen when the sun becomes less active.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

I post a link to a paper by a NASA global climate change scientist who looks closely at the evidence relating to solar energy, and concludes that most of the observed warming is casued by human-released gases, and you reply with this? It's very simple, we *do* know: the scientists who study this are in universal agreement. To claim that we don't know is to fail to understand the science or to be misleading or ill-informed. Anyone who is listening to the scientific community *knows* what is causing the great majority of the effects we're seeing. Claims that 'we just don't know' can only be politically informed, becauise they're certainly not scientifically informed.

Truth is important

I have read and listened to the scientists on each side. There is no universal agreement. Both sides have convincing arguements and evidence. Both sides also have agendas. I try not to let one side spin me. My conclusion is that we don't know. There is good reason to be concerned about man's impact and there is also good reason to question it. BUT certainly man should take actions to decrease his impact just in case that is what is driving it.

• Moderators

I personally believe there is global warming. Some years ago we went to Banff in Canada. I remember one glacier where the bottom of the glacier just 3 decades ago was much lower than where it is now. Huge chunks of ice are breaking off in Antartica, the last one the size of Rhode Is. Now I also read that ships are able to go through between the Arctic & N. America which was previously impassable except for certain months of the year. And that some areas in islands of the Pacific where they use to raise crops are being abandoned because of rising sea level.

Gerry