ClubAdventist is back!

Voting this year?

1 hour ago, Jeannieb43 said:

That "newsman" was obviously on Fox News.

Was Fox mentioned? Are you accusing  Fox news of false reporting or claiming Hillary did not take illegal money from a super PAC? It seems you may be blaming fox news for reporting on a story which may be true. It is more convenient for liberals if Fox news didn't exist to allow cover ups to go unnoticed as the network news won't cover improprieties of the Democrat party.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, whbae said:

Donal T is not a polished  politician. He speaks his mind just like rest of us, plain people. 

I have discovered that there are a lot more sick minds in the USA than I thought. 

• Like 2

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

34 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I have discovered that there are a lot more sick minds in the USA than I thought. 

Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is mentally ill.

To be an agent of creation is to serve the Creator.

47 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I thought this post was funny.

1 minute ago, Rossw said:

I thought this post was funny.

Maybe the post is referring to the sick minds that want someone running for president that is so stupid that she couldnt figure out what the C meant on over 23,000 emails.After all isnt her experience and so called brilliance something that qualifies her?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

8 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Maybe the post is referring to the sick minds that want someone running for president that is so stupid that she couldnt figure out what the C meant on over 23,000 emails.After all isnt her experience and so called brilliance something that qualifies her?

Most definitely. 

These are the candidates the U.S. elected as their pick for president. The candidates are a representation of the people. Both candidates are insane.

But to be fair to this discussion the nomination process isn't the best in my opinion. By the time my state was up for the primary the candidate was already selected. It'd be more fair to have all states vote in a primary in one day. Mine and many other's votes didn't matter by the time it was our turn.

Maybe the USA primary system should be eliminated and the people should vote directly from a list of candidates. He/she who has the most votes wins. Get rid of the Electoral College, too. Seems like direct voting would be the most fair by eliminating delegates and super delegates and all-or-nothing primary wins which tend to work against non-establishment candidates.

Too bad large blocks of certain types of Americans can override the choices of the more discriminating and analytic, who may be fewer in number.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

The Electoral College was one of the big mistakes in the Constitution, not in the sense that it doesn't and hasn't served the US well, but in the sense that it never really worked as designed. The idea was that each state would elect or appoint a number of "elder statesmen" (i.e. electors) who would meet to appoint the President - much in the same way that in our churches, conferences, unions and General Conference, we select a "Nominating Committee". Imagine the chaos if the conference president were to be selected by direct vote of the members rather than by nominating committee ratified by delegates (it would require office seekers to campaign openly and thus destroy church unity). It would be just as bad if a local congregation selected delegates to a session primarily on the basis of who such delegate would support for president, and not for his or her wisdom and judgement (this is essentially the present electoral college where it is irrelevant who the electors are - it is only relevant who they support for president).

The Electoral College was supposed to discuss, deliberate and weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the candidates. This was before the days of mass media where it was not thought to be possible for a man from Massachusetts to be known to the average voter in the Carolinas (and vice versa). Contrary to the founders' intentions, political parties developed almost immediately and they almost immediately began to run "slates" for the Presidency and Vice-Presidency such that almost from the very outset, the Electoral College ceased to have any meaningful function and began to be merely a way of counting up the votes. To complicate matters, there's no such thing as a US federal presidential election governed by federal law. You have 50 individual state elections (plus DC) each governed by state law.

Regarding "non-establishment" candidates - The US is a body politic of over 300 million citizens stretched out over almost an entire continent. With such a large group, a candidate simply cannot gain the notoriety required without being part of an "establishment". The founders correctly realised that the larger the electorate, the greater control the establishment would have. An upstart parvenu may get enough local press to get elected in an individual congressional district, but to win "state-wide" office one had to be a man of means and be part of an establishment - hence senators and presidential electors would be elected "state-wide" to ensure that only "gentlemen" would be elected to the senate or the presidency.

A "national" primary or direct election would even further favour the establishment. A "non-establishment" guy can cover states like Iowa or New Hampshire and get some good local press, and then build up towards a national campaign. If it was a one-shot super-duper-Tuesday primary in all 50 states, only super-duper establishment candidates with the backing of the super-duper PACs could run a campaign.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

6 hours ago, pierrepaul said:

A "national" primary or direct election would even further favour the establishment. A "non-establishment" guy can cover states like Iowa or New Hampshire and get some good local press, and then build up towards a national campaign. If it was a one-shot super-duper-Tuesday primary in all 50 states, only super-duper establishment candidates with the backing of the super-duper PACs could run a campaign.

Purely hypothetical but I believe Trump most likely still could've won a national election but of course that's hard to say. Early in this primary season the lead changed candidates a few times. Early on if we had a national primary it could've been any of the candidates. It's just annoying in this day that my vote won't matter in the primary because of the lateness of my State or in the general election my vote is nullified by by the electoral representation of my state.

Now days with technology, a popular vote for the president would make more sense. Big cities many times generally promote a more liberalized sway. Large populaces such as California and New York carry large delegates and college votes. Liberal leaning candidates will then likely win.

• Moderators
On 7/10/2016 at 10:45 PM, Geoarrge said:

Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is mentally ill.

Your response lends credence to that notion. I don't believe it but you may be on to something.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

the article had a lot conjecture, and I suppose it could be termed, "rude" -- but no more so than than some of the garbage being put out regarding Trump...

both sides are being hoisted by their petards, imho

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

I suppose it really doesn't matter to the hardcore right wing Hilary haters, but for what it is worth here is what Snopes has to say about it - http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-slipping-on-stairs/ 

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)