ClubAdventist is back!

Why You Need to Know More Than God’s Voice

news

“It’s hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head.” ~Sally Kempton

“You’ll never get over your past.”
I remember waking up one Thursday morning and feeling like the air around me was a thick, heavy, fog. It felt dark, despite the sunshine; I felt fatigued, despite a long night’s sleep. Before I could even rise completely out of the bed, it’s as if someone threw a cloak of unhappiness on me that shrouded me from head to toe. My thoughts were centered on only negativity.

“You’ll never get over your past.”

“You’ll never be good enough.”

“Your prayers haven’t changed a thing.”

“You talk of God’s promises, but look at how you’re still struggling, still hoping for restoration.”

“You’ll never be good enough.”
The accusation and condemnation couldn’t come fast enough. Admittedly, I listened to that voice for far too long, and as I listened, I sunk even further into a pit of despair. But then I remembered my Father’s voice. I recalled how He speaks to me, how He takes great delight in me, quiets me with His love, and rejoices over me with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). As I reflected on God’s voice, I instantly knew this was not Him! It is so important that we know God’s voice, but it’s also important that we don’t entertain the enemy’s voice for even a moment. I’ll repeat this: it’s not enough to know God’s voice, we also have to be unacquainted with the enemy’s voice. Adam and Eve knew God’s voice, but they entertained the enemy.

A friend once shared that God’s voice is sweet, but the enemy’s voice can also be sweet. Satan can also speak in soft tones; he tries to duplicate what God offers. As my pastor said, Satan tried to sell Adam and Eve something they already had — to be like God, but they were already like God — they were made in His image! 2 Corinthians 11:14 says Satan disguises himself as an angel of light — deception is in his very nature. In John 10:4-5, Jesus says His sheep follow Him because they know His voice, but He also says they don’t follow a stranger because they don’t know the strangers’ voice. It’s important to know God’s voice, yes, but it’s also important to not know the enemy’s voice, to not entertain his lies for even a moment.

“Your prayers haven’t changed a thing.”
I sat at the edge of my bed and began to worship God and rebuke every negative thought that reared its head. I opened my mouth and recited, “I will bless the lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear thereof and be glad.” As I opened my bible to Psalm 34 and continued along to verse 3: “O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together,” I immediately recognized this verse as a call to corporate worship. I messaged a few friends who worshiped God with me, and by the time we obeyed, verse 4 was manifested in my life: “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

Become familiar with God’s voice, yes, but also learn to bounce the voices you hear off of the Word of God. Speak God’s Word over your life, and see if what you’re hearing lines up with what He’s saying so you can spend less time entertaining the enemy’s intel and more time drowning it out with God’s voice expressed in His Word. Heartcheck: Whose voice are you listening to? Does it speak according to His Word (Isaiah 8:20)?

“May His still, small voice become the loudest voice you hear.”

View the full article