ClubAdventist is back!

How Can I Know God?

news

I often get the question “How can I truly know God?” The answer is found all over scripture, but this morning I ran into a verse that really spoke to this question beautifully. The verse is Hosea 6:3 which says:

“Oh, that we might know the Lord! Let us press on to know him. He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring.”

Three basic points stand out in this passage:

1) We are called to know God and God would never call us to do something impossible. The call itself is evidence that he can be known.

2) We need to press on to know him. Elsewhere God says, “You will find me when you seek me and search for me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13). Knowing God doesn’t just happen. We need to press on and pursue it the same way we pursue our earthly desires. If you are not willing to press on to know God and to continue the search no matter how hard, you will never know him. Will it take 1 day? 30? 60?A lifetime? Who knows? Press on.

3) And lastly the verse says that “He will respond”. When we seek to know God we must do so with the expectation and faith that he will respond. If you have already convinced yourself that he wont respond then you will miss his response when it happens. This is why Paul said, “Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him” (Heb 11:6). So when you seek God, seek him with expectation because He will respond “as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring”. And if that isn’t enough evidence that he will respond, in verse 6 of this same chapter in Hosea God says, “I want to show you love…. I want you to know me.”

Could it be any clearer? He wants to know you and be known by you. He doesn’t hide. He doesn’t play mind games with us or tease us with an unreachable ideal. David Asscherick got it right when he said, “People are at different levels of finding [God] because people are at different levels of seeking [him]” (see video below). So today I invite you, regardless of what stage of seeking you are in, to press on to know him, and press on with expectation.

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/X8LR740aJw8″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

View the full article