ClubAdventist is back!

Christian woman told to remove headscarf for photo

lazarus

• Moderators

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/christian-woman-told-to-remove-headscarf-for-license-aclu-lawsuit/

The American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday filed a lawsuit accusing Alabama county officials of violating a Christian woman’s religious rights by forcing her to remove her headscarf before taking her driver’s license photo.

Yvonne Allen, of Tuskegee, said a court clerk told her when she sought a license renewal last December that “only Muslim women have the right to cover their hair,” according to the complaint filed with the federal court in Opelika, Alabama.

Allen described herself as a devout Christian woman whose faith compels her to cover her hair in public.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

It is alleged that she was told that only Muslim women have a right to cover their hair for a license photo.  If that is true, there is a violation of her rights as established in case law and the 1st Amendment.

However, she should be expected to establish that she is sincere, and basically under the same standards that apply to Muslim women.  Has she done that?   Was she allowed to do that?  Of course, if the standards are low for Muslim women, they also should be for  her.

Gregory

• Members

this reminds me of last year when I had to have my driver's license renewed...  I was wearing my prescription glasses rather than contacts, and was required to remove my glasses for the photo (which made me blind as a bat).  So, now my great dorky photo is of me squinting into the camera, looking like I can't believe whatever I'm looking at.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I wonder if "Christians" will support her cause in the same way they supported the Christian bakers. My guess is that they won't for cultural reasons not religious reasons. 

• Like 1

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members
1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I wonder if "Christians" will support her cause in the same way they supported the Christian bakers. My guess is that they won't for cultural reasons not religious reasons. 

I doubt it would be a rallying cry since most Christian women don't find it necessary to cover their hair in public.  If it doesn't strike a personal cord, many [if not most] people aren't terribly interested in supporting a cause, no matter how important it might be to society at large.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?