ClubAdventist is back!

Wisconsin town passed law that forces parents to pay large fine if their child is a bully

bonnie

Wisconsin town passed law that forces parents to pay large fine if their child is a bully

written by

Jake Manning on November 1st, 2016 

http://shareably.net/wisconsin-school-stops-bullying-by-fining-parents/?utm_source=jjoy

In recent years, bullying-related suicides account for more than 6,000 deaths per year for individuals ages 15-24. In rare cases, the victims are sometimes even in grade school.

As more and more attention is drawn to the connection between bullying and suicide, the topic becomes more of a gray area. Today, too many adults see bullying as “just part of being a kid,” even though there are apparent victims. Bullying is a prevalent problem that leads to many negative effects for it’s victims, including: depression, fear, lack of motivation to attend school, and suicide.

With that said, police in a Wisconsin town are trying to curb bullying by holding parents accountable if their child is involved in bullying.

The city council of Shawano just passed an ordinance allowing police to intervene when aggression happens. The law applies to anyone under the age of 18 and covers various forms of harassment. The harassment can range from taking lunch money to cyberbullying on social media.

Officials in Shawano say they will warn parents after the first incident, but if the child’s behavior doesn’t change within 90 days they’ll get slapped with a $366 fine. A repeat offender will be fined $681.

While the majority of parents can agree that bully needs to stop, the new ordinance has raised a lot of controversy in Shawano.

Critics have pointed out that there is difference between playful banter and harassment, which can be subjective since children are always teasing each other.

In response to the statement above, police Chief Mark Kohl says, “This isn’t generated towards the kids being kids, some playground banter. This is the person that is meticulously using social media or saying things that are vulgar in an attempt to hurt.”

With some parents embracing the fining idea, others disagree saying that it won’t work. The following topic has really got me thinking. Do you think parents should take responsibilities for their child’s actions? Or how should we go about this?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators

If a child throws a rock through the plate glass window in a store, the parents can be held responsible now.

So, why not extend this responsibility to other areas of life.

Gregory

17 hours ago, Gerry Cabalo said:

Sounds good to me.

We have some private schools here that have come close to stopping any bullying. First offense is in school suspension in school counselors office for a day doing their required classroom assignments, no credit given and marked unexcused absence. Second offense student must be attended by one parent for the school day,going from class to class,if parents or students refuse ,it is automatic termination. Third offense automatic termination. It does not seem to discourage enrollment as there is a waiting list in some of these private schools and tution is not cheap .Episodes of bullying rarely make the consequence for second offense necessary.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Administrators

my son was being bullied in 6th grade.  I went to the principles office, and said to him, if my son is bullied again on the playground i will hold you personally responsible.  and it stopped.  and i am sure it was stopped for a lot of other kids.  and it did not harm to restrain the kids whether it could have been considered playground banter or not.  Social rejection can take almost innocent forms but be still extremely deadly.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.