ClubAdventist is back!

Dress code in church?

whbae

27 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

"I figured"  and "I am not surprised" are indicative of an attitude BEFORE I said one word to or about anything you posted sir. So you will have to take that up with Jesus, presuming thats where you get that kind of attitude?

I actually said nothing about your testimony, I was referring to your arresting reasons based on my use of the word "we." . I have to say, the huge bunch of stuff you have choked out of my use of the word we is amazing, but also out of my realm. I will not be able to deal with this either, your Advocate will do a better job at this than I ever could If Jesus tells you to think about or to speak to forum members like this, then who am I to interfere. Go ahead! Suppose away!  Think away!! BUT,dont miss out on the sunset tonight just because of me! May God bless you, and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you!! Amen :D

Ever read the book of Jeremiah?  He got so that he so feared, and expected, the response of the people when He gave them God's messages that he told God I am done giving them your messages.  Get someone else to do it.  What was he doing other than exactly what I did?  You get to the place where the same exact type of responses come back to you that you expect them.  That isn't judging anyone.  If something happens to you often enough that is what you expect to happen. 

As to sunset, I will enjoy it right along with you.  If we were in the same location I would stand side by side with you and enjoy it with you.  God gives His blessings to all of us.  And speaking of sunsets, I've seen some of your photography.  You have a pretty good eye for composition and what makes a good photograph. 

25 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

it wasnt right for Jer then to be like that, and its not right for us. The last part of your post sounds great Let me know any time you will be coming to Alberta. You can have the guest room :)

If you read the book of Jeremiah you will find no condemnation of him by God for saying what he said.  If you go up to someone and every time you speak to them they slap you in the face you know that if you speak to them again they are going to do the same thing.  Didn't Jesus tell His disciples not to trust men and expect to be treated the same way He was?  Was that wrong of Jesus?  I hardly think so. 

31 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

it wasnt right for Jer then to be like that, and its not right for us. The last part of your post sounds great Let me know any time you will be coming to Alberta. You can have the guest room :)

I doubt I will ever make it up there as I have been to Canada only once in my lifetime and that was close to 50 years ago.  And with a car that has over 300,000 miles on it I do not see a whole lot of traveling in the near future.

Consider attending church service is not a social gathering.  We should not follow fashion of our society as what they are wearing or how to behave.  As christians we have a different idea from the worldly fashion. We should consider the attending church is to  worship God.  However you want to dress to meet Him is your business. If I was to meet the president of a country or queen of England I should dress up best I can out of respect not to show off. I don't think God would object if one dresses up or not dress up.  Nevertheless, Mrs. White recommended us to have a special dress for the Sabbath.  Whatever the "special dress" means to you is up to your interpretation.  But, I do not think she had jean in her mind.

• Members
1 hour ago, whbae said:

Consider attending church service is not a social gathering.

I do agree with this statement won.

1 hour ago, whbae said:

We should not follow fashion of our society as what they are wearing or how to behave.  As christians we have a different idea from the worldly fashion.

I also agree

1 hour ago, whbae said:

We should consider the attending church is to  worship God.  However you want to dress to meet Him is your business. If I was to meet the president of a country or queen of England I should dress up best I can out of respect not to show off. I don't think God would object if one dresses up or not dress up.

I agree

1 hour ago, whbae said:

Nevertheless, Mrs. White recommended us to have a special dress for the Sabbath.

I agree

1 hour ago, whbae said:

Whatever the "special dress" means to you is up to your interpretation.

I agree

1 hour ago, whbae said:

But, I do not think she had jean in her mind.

This I don't agree with! I do agree that this statement is definitely for me, because I have better clothes. But for some or maybe many, they might not have any better clothes than jeans!!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

13 minutes ago, phkrause said:

This I don't agree with! I do agree that this statement is definitely for me, because I have better clothes. But for some or maybe many, they might not have any better clothes than jeans!!

Then it is not an attitude issue. Not one of those mocked for what they believe have indicated that if the better clothes you have are a pair of clean blue jeans it is somehow wrong or disrespectful. The attitude of any old thing is good enough for church and God . The congregation should be grateful I came . After all God doesnt care how you dress. He looks at the heart,which goes back to attitude

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

The problem comes in with defining what is "better clothes."  When I came to this country, I brought my Sabbath suit: coat, matching pants, tie, special black belt to go with it, black socks, black polished shoes, etc.--Far more expensive clothing than anyone around here wears, and far less fit for the climate and culture.  If I'm going to church to meet God in my "best," I suppose that is what I should wear.  But around here, no one dresses this way, it is not fit for the climate, and it is not best for my health.  In the heat and humidity, my feet would begin to rot in those shoes, even for the few hours spent traveling to and from church or during the afternoon activities in the neighborhood (at church, shoes are removed here).  I quickly "dressed down" to the simpler attire in which I teach: no tie, different set of shoes (unpolished), pants of a kind of material more suitable to sitting on the floor (often the case here, even in church), and a simple button-down shirt.  Forget the black socks--most here don't wear socks at all, and when I wear them, I must do so without shoes inside the building.

I think, following the Bible and Mrs. White, there are some principles to keep in mind with regard to our attire:

1) Health is the most important, and may trump everything else.

2) Modesty is next most important.

3) Cleanliness and neatness follows.

4) Lack of unnecessary adornments, such as frills and lace, etc.

5) The quality of the material should be durable and modest, not expensive.

Following the above guidelines, careful readers might soon conclude that clothing should be loosely fit, the weight of it should be hung from the shoulders, the pattern from which it is designed should include no unnecessary designs for the sake of fashion merely, and it should cover the body as needed for both modesty and warmth.  The limbs should not be left to become cold while the torso is kept warm, no restrictions should be placed around the delicate organs of the abdomen (the use of suspenders, instead of belts, is indicated), etc.

As for having a "special" outfit for Sabbath, I see no reason to "dress down" on other days in order to look, by comparison, "better" on Sabbath, if every day one dresses well.  If one works outdoors or in a mechanics shop, his or her clothes need not be of the same variety for church.  Wearing jeans is a matter of culture--but in my opinion, Mrs. White would have supported them in terms of their durability and cost (no need to have silk).

God is no respecter of persons.  Our dress is not really for appearance.  It is more for decency and health.  The question to be asked should not really be "will God like how I look?"  It should be "will how I dress be of benefit to me and not a distraction for others?"  God likes people to be able to worship in church.  If we preserve our own health and decency, we can concentrate better on the message.  If our appearance distracts others (is not modest, is odd-looking, is not clean, etc.), unless this still happens to be the best we have and can offer, it is wrong.  None should be barred from church attendance for lack of having a certain quality of attire, of course.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Green Cochoa said:

None should be barred from church attendance for lack of having a certain quality of attire, of course.

... And no one should  ever  Ever   EVER  be judged on what ever they wear in Church  either

My goodness!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO embarrassingly unchristian!

and just plain RUDE!

get a life!

thanku Green Chochoa for this post

:)

#people at my church still argue very openly in church meetings about this..

.. still!    and a really sad state of affairs :ick: they are better than that

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

1 hour ago, GayatfootofCross said:

... And no one should  ever  Ever   EVER  be judged on what ever they wear in Church  either

My goodness!

and just plain RUDE!

get a life!

c

1 hour ago, GayatfootofCross said:
4 hours ago, Green Cochoa said:

None should be barred from church attendance for lack of having a certain quality of attire, of course.

My goodness!

and just plain RUDE!

My response in red

.. And no one should  ever  Ever   EVER  be judged on what ever they wear in Church  or the  deliberate misrepresentation    of their opinion and judged to be judging for that opinion

My goodness!

and just plain RUDE!

get a life!

Misrepresenting what has been said by others to make "your values" more christian than theirs is certainly unchristian and just plain rude

To infer or imply that this has been a suggestion is just plain rude and untrue

Yes it certainly was an excellent post,reaffirming common sense 

.. still!    and a really sad state of affairs :ick: they are better than that

It is really a sad state of affairs if true,but thankfully there seems to be at least one in your church that understands true christian values and will judge and set them straight  when they stray from the path. All churches should be so lucky . Perhaps with proper guidance they can get some kind of a life

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

My response in red

.. And no one should  ever  Ever   EVER  be judged on what ever they wear in Church  or the  deliberate misrepresentation    of their opinion and judged to be judging for that opinion

My goodness!

and just plain RUDE!

get a life!

Misrepresenting what has been said by others to make "your values" more christian than theirs is certainly unchristian and just plain rude

To infer or imply that this has been a suggestion is just plain rude and untrue

Yes it certainly was an excellent post,reaffirming common sense 

.. still!    and a really sad state of affairs :ick: they are better than that

It is really a sad state of affairs if true,but thankfully there seems to be at least one in your church that understands true christian values and will judge and set them straight  when they stray from the path. All churches should be so lucky . Perhaps with proper guidance they can get some kind of a life

Thank you, Bonnie for calling me on my stuff. I deserve it!

As a Child of God I hold myself up to a standard on what to say here and how to treat people. Though I fail way to often. :(

I have to step away from this thread for it touches a very sensitive nerve.I believe God doesn't ever look and judge our appearance (1 Sam 16:7) and I love HIM for that among oh so many reasons :)

I unfollowed this thread now.

Thanks again, Bonnie, for calling me out on the carpet. I hear you.

# i wish i can take back my post

For all Eternity God waited in anticipation for  You  to show up to give You a Message - YOUR INCLUDED !!! { a merry dance }?️‍?

" If you tarry 'til you're better
You will never come at all "   .. "I Will Rise" by the late great saved  Glen Campbell

If your picture of God is starting to feel too good to be true, you're starting to move in the right direction. :candle:

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite."

Romeo and Juliet

I was reading one writer who had a whole different take on the modesty issue. While some relate modesty to how many square inches of skin that may or may not be covered, it could also be how extravagant the clothing worn is. The writer was of the opinion that ideally the clothing should be no more expensive than thrift store clothing or at the most expensive from Kmart! I tend to agree with this writer. Showing up in an expensive three piece suit is rather immodest under those definitions. Historically, it seems, modesty was largely used against women for how much skin was visible. Often those making the remarks were dressed in expensive suits, expensive watches, and drove expensive cars as they looked down their nose. Always sad to see the pretentiousness some people display when they put others down.

True, you should consider dressing "well" when going to church, but high value clothing is not necessarily dressing well but is more an act to attract attention to oneself. Our church just lost a member who NEVER wore anything but blue jeans to church. I suspect he was actually buried in his jeans as it would have been unlike him to be at rest anyway otherwise. At his funeral, he was well spoken of for the love he had for others. One of the things I learned when coming to the mountains is, people don't dress the way they do in much of the rest of the country. Blue jeans are very acceptable attire even at a funeral.

• Like 3

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

It really goes back to attitude. Inexpensive is not always the best buy. My children grew up on thrift store clothing. Much of what, I wear if I don't make it comes from there. I do that so I can purchase the more expensive clothing that tends to be better made and last longer. Not to "impress" someone else. Recently I purchased a 50.00 sweater new with tags for 5.00. 

It is really the same to me when someone asks if it is really necessary  to pay tithe or go to church to be saved. Attitude. If those are questions you ask it is probably better you you don't do either. 

If this is how you view those that dress well   but high value clothing is not necessarily dressing well but is more an act to attract attention to oneself 

maybe it is better to dress  as you would  anywhere with as little thought than to make those kinds of motives the reason of those that would dress well

On 2/27/2017 at 0:08 PM, The Wanderer said:

I once worked with a "supervisor" for the Literature Evangelism work of a certain area; and all he ever did was talk about how he expected the people to respond and to make a long story short, the poor man never sold a single book while I was with him. Soon as I got rid of him, I was able to sell lots of books again. So no. It was not right for Jer to act like that. There are reasons Gods people do not meet with more success than they could; IF THEY WOULD Finding one miserly little example of Jesus or someone talking off the cuff like this has nothing to do with how we should carry on in our daily, regular work for Him

I was referring specifically to two passages of scripture.  The first is the entire 10th chapter of Matthew where Jesus is instructing His disciples before sending them out on their own.  Yeah, really off the cuff and just an off-hand remark not meant to actually be taken seriously by anyone.  The second is John 15:20 which Jesus prefaces by saying, Remember.  Another passage to just ignore because Jesus couldn't have actually meant for them to remember what He said then.