ClubAdventist is back!

A Question about Mental Illness and the Unforgiveable sin....

Femster

God has said a sin against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable.

I was just thinking though- if one had a severe mental illness, and wasnt fully cmprehending the situation, and spoke against the Holy Spirit, would God forgive them- as they dont know what they are saying???

Just a ponderance that has been on my mind for a few days

• Like 1

• Members

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the unpardonable sin is the continual and knowingly (until death) rejection of the Holy Spirit's bidding to come to Christ. 

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I don't know how God will ultimately "handle" the salvation of babies, people with mental illness, or people throughout history who never even heard of the scriptures or Jesus, or have just plainly been "ruined" by off-balance denominational religion.  I really like a concept that 8thdaypriest has been posting about for a couple years proposing that "the rest of the dead" said to be resurrected at the end of the millennium will consist of these people who never had the opportunity to make an intelligent, informed decision about God; and they will be judged on their response after being exposed to the "real" Yahweh.  I agree strongly with Pam's statement above.  Furthermore, in my opinion, if you are experiencing any concern about committing the unpardonable sin, you haven't committed it.  The only sins that cannot be forgiven are the known sins that we refuse to confess.  As soon as we say "Please forgive me for my sin of ____" (fill in the blank), God responds "What sin?"  See 1 John 1:9.

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Femster said:

God has said a sin against the Holy Spirit is unpardonable.

I was just thinking though- if one had a severe mental illness, and wasnt fully cmprehending the situation, and spoke against the Holy Spirit, would God forgive them- as they dont know what they are saying???

Just a ponderance that has been on my mind for a few days

Acts 17:30 talks about God winking at man's ignorance, IOW He takes it into consideration. It then goes on to say that He is now calling people to repentance. We cannot expect people to repent if they are ignorant (not knowing). And even healthy people can do things in ignorance. But this verse is telling me that when one becomes convicted one needs to follow up in God's direction. To avoid doing so would be rejecting the Holy Spirit.

God is FOR us. Sometimes that means that if we don't believe that we are forgiven after bringing our sins to Him, say, if we can't forgive ourselves, we can trust in Him and take Him at His word.

• Like 3

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

We are all in the fight between wanting to respect the world and have contempt and put down the world while we just live for self. We are constantly choosing between the two. The sin of the Holy Spirit is were we reach a point where we consciously just live for self and stop reaching out to anything out there.

I believe that God has special angels who are surrounding the people with mental illness keeping the demons farther away from them because they have enough personal demons fighting in them.

2 hours ago, Kevin H said:

I believe that God has special angels who are surrounding the people with mental illness keeping the demons farther away from them because they have enough personal demons fighting in them.

I believe that also for many people suffering from a mental illness.  However, I also believe the other side of the coin - that some who are perceived to have a  mental illness are actually possessed or harassed by demonic forces.