ClubAdventist is back!

Elder Finley & Unity

Gregory Matthews

• Administrators

Pivotal point in this writing responding to Pastor Finely,  two sections of quotes following.

"To so vividly turn away from Jesus and to abandon reliance on the Holy Spirit and instead advocate for church policy and governance and authority to enable unity is utterly demoralizing. You put it this way: “The unity of the church is maintained … when the mutual agreements or policies of the church serve as the foundation for a system of church governance and authority.”

As a long-time minister in New York volunteered to me the last time we were together: the vicar of Christ is the Holy Spirit, not the Pope or the General Conference executive committee."

and then.... 

"The General Conference leadership can initiate just two possible courses of action it it believes it necessary to secure compliance with its policies.  It can dissolve a Union Conference’s membership in the Seventh-day Adventist denomination and in effect walk away, or it can attempt to turn a Union Conference into a mission and place it under the direct management of men appointed by the General Conference.

The General Conference has never attempted either option by way of discipline, at least in my memory—now in my eighth decade of life. And with good reason. The risk is that the General Conference could be legally required to dissolve its relationship with the current Union Conference and start over by establishing new local Conferences or a new Union Conference and then set about to evangelize congregations and members to join the ‘real Seventh-day Adventist’ Local and Union Conferences. In short, what a mess this would be.

Perhaps the reason this has never happened before is that it has always been utterly unthinkable.  But after the last Annual Council action, I find it alarming that the church appears to be considering such an action with one or more more Union Conferences. And I fear some will read your article in support of such action."

It is my view that the urge to control is our danger. ... to be an  Uzzah  and reach out and touch the ark to control it and keep it from falling is our nature.  God is in charge of His Church and His people. in the absence of God's clear direction we naturally attempt to fill in the gap, rather that wait on the Lord.  Administrators are there to serve not to Lord over.  The place of tension between leadership and constituency is a place where we especially need the Holy Spirit.  We are an organization that relies on the present supernatural working of God in order for us to represent Him.  Without that we will be building steps to approach the alter of sacrifice and our nakedness will be exposed.

the implication is this.... just as the children of Israel were to come into submission to Moses, because if they were not they were in rebellion, we today are to be in submission to the authority of the GC or we will be in rebellion.  Is the GC the mouthpiece of the Holy Spirit as Moses was?  Is this submission the test of loyalty to God?  For those who are in this submission the answer is yes.  So what is in their experience and faith that informs them of this?  Is this truly the filter that determines who is the faithful and who is not? 

Are we like Israel when they demanded a King so they could be as other nations?  This way they could be competitive in the national landscape among all the nations?  Israel sinned by asking for a King.  If they had not asked for a king would Jesus ever have been called the king of Israel?  Because they were looking for a king to give them national glory they utterly failed to recognize and accept Jesus.  

• Like 3

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators

Then let us be powerless and dependent on the power of God, and God alone have all the power because He is incorruptible.  "The Lamb is worthy to receive power, riches, wisdom, strength, honor, blessing, and glory."

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

• Administrators

since when does policy, church policy and compliance to church policy, have the power to bring forth any righteousness, and non compliance results in unrighteousness.   Church leaders have a serious responsibility and it is not to control the conscience of the members.

oh well, sign me up, i guess i am,  a heretic...

deb

Love awakens love.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:35 AM, debbym said:

Pivotal point in this writing responding to Pastor Finely,  two sections of quotes following. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMBp6TB-leA

Are we like Israel when they demanded a King so they could be as other nations?  This way they could be competitive in the national landscape among all the nations?  Israel sinned by asking for a King.  If they had not asked for a king would Jesus ever have been called the king of Israel?  Because they were looking for a king to give them national glory they utterly failed to recognize and accept Jesus.  

1Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 2Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 4For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted....Matthew 23

Maybe we are losing, in some areas, the willingness to suffer for discipleship of Jesus, for the comfort of a king.

God is Love!~Jesus saves! :D

Lift Jesus up!!