ClubAdventist is back!

When Pastors/People Leave the SDA Chruch

Gregory Matthews

• Administrators

Do we trust God enough to let our reactions rest.... from every side and direction?

• Like 2

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Moderators

Powerful, yet sad. I remember in the 1980s New York Conference President Scants gave a lecture on disfellowshiping. He told the pastors to make it clear to the people that it is because of some reason from what defines our specific church and that it does not necessary mean that they are disfellowshiped from Christ. Encourage them to hold on to Christ and to help them find a church home where they would fit in better and to maintain a friendship with them. Elder Tim Berry gave the same advice in his classes at Atlantic Union College. We have people teaching this, why don't we have more people practicing it? Why do we have so many people who are Act 18 Pauls and not so many who are Acts 19 Pauls? 

• Moderators

With more and more people feeling that they must agree with everything within a church in order to maintain membership, a number are taking their names off the books, though perhaps not leaving, because they feel their conscience does not allow them to say yes to everything the church either officially stands for or does in practice. It may be only one "little" thing they disagree with, but it makes a difference to them.

LD

• Moderators

In my opinion, the requirements to join and to remain a SDA member are few in number--certainly less than the 28.  But, we are living in a time where in our society at large people are attempting to draw boundaries that exclude as many people as possible and this has carried over in the Church and to its business and we see the same happeing today.

I once pastored a congregation in which we decided that we  would disfellowship a person only if the vote was 100% in favor of doing so.   I would first ask for a vote against doing so and if their was even one (1) vote against doing so, I would immediately table the action and the process would stop.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/6/2017 at 1:15 AM, Kevin H said:

Powerful, yet sad. I remember in the 1980s New York Conference President Scants gave a lecture on disfellowshiping. He told the pastors to make it clear to the people that it is because of some reason from what defines our specific church and that it does not necessary mean that they are disfellowshiped from Christ. Encourage them to hold on to Christ and to help them find a church home where they would fit in better and to maintain a friendship with them. Elder Tim Berry gave the same advice in his classes at Atlantic Union College. We have people teaching this, why don't we have more people practicing it? Why do we have so many people who are Act 18 Pauls and not so many who are Acts 19 Pauls? 

How do you reconcile this with what Jesus said in Mt 18:18?  "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven?"

May I suggest this program below, possibly discusses as well as any I've heard, about some of what many of us face in the days we live in.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!

Lift Jesus up!!

• Members

Just saw that the other day LHC, excellent program.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Gerry Cabalo said:

How do you reconcile this with what Jesus said in Mt 18:18?  "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven?"

I don't understand your issue. We are not Catholics believing that our church is the final authority. We support freedom of religion/liberty of conscience. It is our (sadly too often neglected) responsibility to help people find a place to worship at their current level of growth.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Gerry Cabalo said:

Was that text meant for Catholics only?

Of course not. It's just that I am finding my self currently unable to make any sense out of your question unless I read into it the traditional Catholic interpretation.  If you are asking something else please help my dull mind understand it better. Thank you.