ClubAdventist is back!

Dangers of Water Baptism

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators
  • Members

though I understand the concept behind Adventist Risk Mgmt's preference for a nice, safe baptism in an indoor tank, the "Five Things to Consider for Baptism in Natural Bodies of Water" seems oddly amusing when applied to the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River...

• Like 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

I heard that an evangelist used to say that some of the saints have been baptized in lemon juice. Does Risk Management have this covered?

LD

1 hour ago, LynnDel said:

I heard that an evangelist used to say that some of the saints have been baptized in lemon juice. Does Risk Management have this covered?

:rollingsmile:

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

LynDell:   The Risk Management recommendation is to add two (2) cups of sugar to the water.

Gregory

I have never seen anyone getting sick or any kind of infection after baptism however when it comes to Natural water bodies there might be a risk of Man eaters in that kind of water and at the same time it can't be treated. But water in the swimming pool can easily be treated.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Good idea about that sugar, Chaplain Gregory! ROFLMHO

The article's main focus was preparation and assessing the conditions around the proposed baptism area. Since Jesus was baptized in the Jordan after John the Baptist had already baptized many people, we can assume that any hazards had previously been removed.

When it comes to water-born disease or crocodiles, etc., I suppose if those things are known to be a hazard in the area, another venue might be chosen if available. I remember baptisms in Ethiopia taking place in a pit that was dug in the red earth, and the Ethiopians were baptized in white robes that turned red when they came up out of the red water. Perhaps it was during the dry season when the rivers were down to a trickle, I don't know. There was no baptistry ready for use at that time.

I know of some who believe that since baptism is blessed by God, "there should no evil befall you" while you are being baptized, and therefore one shouldn't worry. What do you think about that?

• Like 1

LD

3 hours ago, LynnDel said:

I know of some who believe that since baptism is blessed by God, "there should no evil befall you" while you are being baptized, and therefore one shouldn't worry. What do you think about that?

I know the question wasn't addressed to me but if there was a simple answer such as the one proposed, there would be no "Fox's Book of Martyrs".

God is Love!~Jesus saves!    :D     :prayer:  :offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/1/2017 at 10:29 PM, LifeHiscost said:

I know the question wasn't addressed to me but if there was a simple answer such as the one proposed, there would be no "Fox's Book of Martyrs".

That is so true, LifeHiscost. Too many times some of us are tempted to not use the means God has put at our disposal to ensure our safety. And at other times, such as those who were martyred for their faith, tragedy does not mean that God wasn't with them, and that God wasn't good, but it does show that we live in a world affected by sin. Those who were martyred had faith that they would meet their Lord and Savior in the home He has prepared for us all. It sounds like a pat answer, but I really do get disturbed by those who pray for a healing, and when it happens, they all say, "Praise the Lord," "God is good!" -- and "God's in charge!" -- but where are the praises when the sick are not healed? God is still good, but Satan is the prince of this world, and he is the one to blame for all that goes wrong.

(I am sorry for the delayed response; I somehow missed additional commentary)

LD

2 hours ago, LynnDel said:

That is so true, LifeHiscost. Too many times some of us are tempted to not use the means God has put at our disposal to ensure our safety. And at other times, such as those who were martyred for their faith, tragedy does not mean that God wasn't with them, and that God wasn't good, but it does show that we live in a world affected by sin. Those who were martyred had faith that they would meet their Lord and Savior in the home He has prepared for us all. It sounds like a pat answer, but I really do get disturbed by those who pray for a healing, and when it happens, they all say, "Praise the Lord," "God is good!" -- and "God's in charge!" -- but where are the praises when the sick are not healed? God is still good, but Satan is the prince of this world, and he is the one to blame for all that goes wrong.

(I am sorry for the delayed response; I somehow missed additional commentary)

Pleasant to get your answer just before the Sabbath sets in. God is never late when His servants are... about my Father's business? Luke 2:49

Hope you have a :happysabbath:  God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :prayer::offtobed:

Lift Jesus up!!