Graphic Quotes

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aka

• JoeMo

I had misunderstood Hebrews 10:26-31 (as well as Hebrews 6:4-6):

" For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt."

Ever since I became an SDA in the 1970's, I had been taught that this means if we continued to sin after we were baptized, we were "done"; to backslide was the equivalent of the unpardonable sin.  When I began to "context" rather than "proof text", I realized that the context of Hebrews is that Jesus is our sacrifice AND our high priest.  We fall away when we forget that Jesus did a good enough job to save us; and we begin to "help" Him save us by our own paltry works.  Gal. 5:4 states it well:

" You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

We are either under grace or under Law.  Under the Law,  "“There is no one righteous, not even one;  there is no one who understands;    there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away;    they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good,  not even one.”  (Rom. 3:10-12).

If we turn our trust away from Jesus; and try to trust in ourselves to earn our salvation, IMHO, we are under the Law; which none of us has kept perfectly.  Speaking for myself, I desperately trust Jesus for my salvation. I am convinced that if His sacrifice was not enough to save me, I am doomed.

I am NOT saying that we should continue to sin that grace may abound.  I am saying that we are saved solely by the blood, mercy, and grace of Jesus Christ.  The obedience and good works are a result of that grace - not the prerequisite.

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

To make my story simpler, there may be people in, or not in heaven, that we don't amprove of. Including ourselves

If we are relying on obedience to "save" us, how can we ever think we are "good enough" to be confident of our own salvation?  Back in my days as a legalist, I was constantly worrying about not trying hard enough to be good.  "Did I ask the waiter if there was lard in those beans before I ate them"?  As a vegan, was I "sinning" if I ate something with dairy or eggs in it?  If I was worrying about a huge problem at work or home on Sabbath, was I breaking the Sabbath?  If I got angry and said $#!+ or something worse, was I going to hell?  If we were on a beach and I looked at an attractive woman in a bikini for a couple seconds too long, was I committing adultery in my mind?  I was NEVER good enough in my own mind!  I was more sure I was going to hell than I was about going to heaven.  I was forgetting that Jesus didn't come here to make bad people good; He came to make dead people alive.  God doesn't save us because WE are good; He saves us because HE is Good!

I still try to obey (sometimes I even succeed); but why?  Is it because I must obey to be saved; or is it because I am already saved and want to represent/reflect the values of my heavenly Family?

images (6).jpg                             images (7).jpg                                                            images (9).jpg

oh-dear...      I  can't answer  that  what with my prophetic mathematical ability  has gone all weak today.                    

index.jpg