ClubAdventist is back!

Unity in Christ

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

One man may be conversant with the Scriptures, and some particular portion of the Scripture may be especially appreciated by him; another sees another portion as very important, and thus one may present one point, and another, another point, and both may be of highest value. This is all in the order of God. But if a man makes a mistake in his interpretation of some portion of the Scripture, shall this cause diversity and disunion? God forbid. We cannot than take a position that the unity of the church consists in viewing every text of Scripture in the very same light. {Ms24-1892.15}

The church may pass resolution upon resolution to put down all disagreement of opinions, but we cannot force the mind and will, and thus root out disagreement. These resolutions may conceal the discord, but they cannot quench it and establish perfect agreement. Nothing can perfect unity in the church but the spirit of Christlike forbearance. Satan can sow discord; Christ alone can harmonize the disagreeing elements. Then let every soul sit down in Christ’s school and learn of Christ, who declares Himself to be meek and lowly of heart. Christ says that if we learn of Him, worries will cease and we shall find rest to our souls. [Matthew 11:29.] {Ms24-1892.16}

The great truths of the Word of God are so clearly stated that none need make a mistake in understanding them. When, as individual members of the church you love God supremely and your neighbor as yourself, there will be no need of labored efforts to be in unity, for there will be oneness in Christ as a natural result. The ears will no longer be open to reports that will injure your neighbor, and no one will take up a reproach against his neighbor. {Ms24-1892.17}

The above was taken from MS 24, 1892  I have added the underlining.

Gregory

The first and second commandment......"When, as individual members of the church you love God supremely and your neighbor as yourself, there will be no need of labored efforts to be in unity, for there will be oneness in Christ as a natural result. "

13 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

could this possibly mean that we are  NOT to consider "doctrinal agreement" as evidence of, and the fruit of, and the practice of, unity??

It depends on what you call "doctrinal agreement". In my opinion, do we all as a denomination need to agree that Jesus is God; and the only atoning sacrifice for sin?  I think yes.  Do we all (at least as SDA's) need to agree that we should work 6 days, but the seventh day (Saturday) shall be a day of rest dedicated to God?  I would say yes. Do we all need to embrace the "day for a year" concept; and that the papacy is the antichrist?  I would say no.