ClubAdventist is back!

The End of the Church # 1

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

In a few days, critically important meetings will begin.  Will these meetings signal the beginning of he SDA denomination as we know it today?  The following article is the first in a series that   discusses this.  

NOTE:  Do not be certain that you know the direction that the series   is going'

See:

https://atoday.org/the-end-of-the-church-as-we-know-it-part-1/

• Thanks 2

Gregory

Hi Gregory,

I find this post and your post in 'After a Year of Grace" disturbing and offensive (not your post; but the linked articles).  Those articles illustrate my issues with a denomination's "command and control" philosophy.  a person's salvation does not depend on whether or not they support WO.  I you don't like going to a congregation with a female pastor, go find another congregation - it's just that simple!  Church unity is NOT defined by the gender of your pastor; it is defined by your relationship with Jesus Christ.  If the denomination splits or breaks up over something as silly as WO, the it is like what Gamaliel said in Acts:

For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.  But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." (Acts 5:38-39)

Thank you for posting this.

43 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

It will be interesting to see who ends up with the tithe dollars.

If this goes down, neither side will end up with my tithe dollars.

If this goes down, neither side will end up with my tithe dollars.

Your local church would love to have them! Might require a different label for the monies.........

And folks wonder why I - yes, a woman - teach online.  

prophecyviewpoint.com - now with a language app, so that any page can be translated into any one of 50 languages. 

8thdaypriest

• Moderators

The Great Cautioner:   I am humbled by your use of the word "great" in connection with my name.   :)

Gregory

6 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

It will be interesting to see who ends up with the tithe dollars.

Question is ... who is the more faithful tithe giver?!

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

13 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Oh boy...not another tithe debate coming up I hope?

Nope!  Nothing to debate.  We should feel free to give our tithe where the gospel is being spread.

• Members

Read Malachi 3:8-10! How do you understand this passage? It seems to me that they had just as bad leaders than as today!! But yet God is saying to bring the tithes and offerings anyway, because that portion is His!! I'm guessing, even though the way they collected the tithes and offerings was a little different then the way we collect it today. He's saying to bring to him what's His! I take it to mean, that even if the church today doesn't do it the way you think it just go, its still our responsibility to bring the tithes and offerings anyway., and that the leaders who are abusing it, will eventually have to answer to God??

• Like 1

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

4 hours ago, phkrause said:

God is saying to bring the tithes and offerings anyway, because that portion is His!!

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house." (Mal. 3:10)

Who defines the "storehouse"?  Just because the SDA Church defines it as the Conference doesn't make it so.  There are plenty of ministries out there (affiliated or NOT affiliated with the denomination) that spread the gospel.  I AM responsible for whom I give my tithe to; and I am NOT going to give it to an organization that I know is inspiring division rather than unity.  Just like the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27), the church was made for man and not man for the church.  If the Lord loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 5:7), I'll give my money where I'm happy to give it; not somewhere that I object to.

This year I heavily skewed my giving toward local church needs. I still made offerings labelled "tithe" in order to support our local conference's full time ministers, but in reduced proportion. I know that a portion of the "tithe" will be sent up the chain to the union and GC to fund both sides of this civil war - I would love to bring that portion down to naught, but I can't do that without withdrawing my support of our local pastors, which I'm not prepared to do.

I would think that >99% of the membership is unaware of the vain turf wars, personal ego battles and politicking taking place at these meetings. Most lay SdAs don't ever really give a toss about the women's ordination issue.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

23 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

that is not the question and it never will be.

Apparently it was, because I asked it!

That is something you cannot measure or decide.

Actually you can, in a variety of ways. For instance, Republicans are known to give more to charity than Democrats. Don't know why, but perhaps Democrats are waiting for the government to fix everything!

Most any church treasurer can have a pretty good idea about the question I asked. Not that most really care. I don't.

Next question please

Sorry, but that answer was somewhere on the continuum of a condescending to  a contemptuous dismissal of a fellow poster. But you are forgiven!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

7 hours ago, phkrause said:

Read Malachi 3:8-10! How do you understand this passage? It seems to me that they had just as bad leaders than as today!! But yet God is saying to bring the tithes and offerings anyway, because that portion is His!! I'm guessing, even though the way they collected the tithes and offerings was a little different then the way we collect it today. He's saying to bring to him what's His! I take it to mean, that even if the church today doesn't do it the way you think it just go, its still our responsibility to bring the tithes and offerings anyway., and that the leaders who are abusing it, will eventually have to answer to God??

I personally give a donation (part of my tithe) to the Jesus Film Ministry, every month.   That ministry has published a movie of the life of Christ, with dialog only from the Gospel of Luke.  That film has been translated into some 900 languages now.  It is trucked up the sides of mountains on the back of donkeys, and into jungles.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that film!! 

Are you saying phkrause, that the SDA church is God's ONLY "storehouse", where a hungry person can find "meat"??  Are you saying that only by giving to the SDA denomination is one giving to God's "house"?   I just don't believe that.   I give to Mercy Ships.  They do a wonderful work - in the name of Christ.   I give to "Voice of the Martyrs".   They support those who have been and are being persecuted for Christ. 

8thdaypriest

In the original Sinai/Hebrew economy, every third year, the tithe went to feed the poor.   In the present US economy 1/3 of the Federal Budget goes for welfare and service organizations.  So I figure I am actually paying some tithe there.  lol

I want my tithe to HASTEN the return of Jesus.  I want my tithe to relieve human suffering.  I want my tithe to win minds to Christ as LORD.   I will give my tithe to the organizations I see doing the best job on those three fronts. 

8thdaypriest

• Members

I'm not telling anyone to do anything!! I just giving my opinion!! And by the way, I have no idea what Mrs White has to say about the Tithe!!! I will check it out either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Going back to the original post regarding the "end" of the church:

Satan will work his miracles to deceive; he will set up his power as supreme. The church may appear as about to fall, but it does not fall. It remains, while the sinners in Zion will be sifted out--the chaff separated from the precious wheat. This is a terrible ordeal, but nevertheless it must take place. None but those who have been overcoming by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony will be found with the loyal and true, without spot or stain of sin, without guile in their mouths. We must be divested of our self-righteousness and arrayed in the righteousness of Christ. Selected Messages, book 2, p. 38

Another collection of end time related quotes:

http://www.ellenwhitedefend.com/Books-EGW/lde/lde12.htm

Bill Liversidge Seminars

On 10/4/2017 at 4:34 PM, B/W Photodude said:

Question is ... who is the more faithful tithe giver?!

My answer - people who care how their sacred offerings are spent.