ClubAdventist is back!

Sexual Abuse 1638 & 2017

Gregory Matthews

• Administrators

it is something that also happens in any relationship with a power differential.  teacher student, lawyer client, parent child, dr. patient, counselor client.... etc.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

This article was sad to  see in an Adventist site. It is a good example of revisionist radical feminist interpretations of historical events and social systems.

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Administrators

from the article...

"To what degree the Seventh-day Adventist church protects those women who, like Anne Hutchinson, refuse to stop talking, who refuse to toe the line, is difficult to know; but I am aware of no pubic denominational discussions about the abuse of religious power in the church or workplace, or religious power at home. Or about how to handle people who attempt to control women by Bible verse. Or by prayer. Is religious coercion preferable to an unwelcome arm around a shoulder? Or a pinch on the bottom? The causes are the same."

Ellen white was not well tolerated at one time in the sda church.

deb

Love awakens love.

• Moderators

So, you say that quote is not fair.  Below, you will see your quote in context:

The context is clearly that of the women who have reported their personal experiences on the #metoo movement.

Tell me, before you dismissed their personal reports, how many did you personally read prior to making tha judgment of their reports.

Yes, you might say that the author expanded her statement outside of the #metoo movement when she said that physical often [NOTE: Not always.] occurs.  Are you challenging her statement?  Do you think she should have said it always follows?  Or should she have said that normally does not follow?   

Tens of thousands of women are openly sharing their experiences at the hands of those who see them as tools, as objects, and means to ends. The #metoo movement seems astounding, except that it isn’t. Sometimes, reported treatment is physically violent, sometimes, not. But it is always because some people have notions of what other people are good for, notions of where those people belong in the general scheme of things. Worse, further—physical, emotional, social, or political—violence often follows the refusal of the less powerful to be who they are expected or hoped to be.

Gregory

• Moderators

Well you responded to my question:  You believe that abusive people can be charming.

I do not argue with you on  that.

Gregory

• Administrators

i believe we all have the potential to be abusive.  some of us are chronically abusive.  losing ones temper infrequently does not have the same impact as losing one's temper daily.

we know narcissism is common and results in people making objects of the people around them, and mistreating them without any conscience.

also sociopaths are common, and a loss of natural affection in families is a serious issue, with addictions ruling lives and mining away their humanity.

i run into serious abuse issues around me too often.

deb

Love awakens love.

4 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I do not regard them as "an Adventist site."  I think I have said that before on this forum. But I would never refer anyone to it, or call it that.

True, it is not an official church operated site. So, loosely called Adventist as many of the people associated with it are Adventist. And no, I do not recommend it either.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

But Marcus, annoyed by Kelly’s sexism as by his politics, points out that “Women are not sacred. If the upside of chivalry is the cape spread upon the muddy ground, the downside is the presumption, perhaps subconscious, that women are weak. . . . To be put on a pedestal also risks being kept in a box. In the good old days that Kelly mourns, women were not so much elevated by gender as constrained by it.”

You can see 1001 ways feminists are trying to pull the "sacred card" and they push for women's "rights" at the expense of men and push for a gynocentric culture and Christianity (and Adventism) a gynocentric church. The quoted from article also drags out the same old male on female violence mantra when you can also show areas of society where massive female on male and even female on female violence occurs. As I said, just more revisionist radical feminist material.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

• Administrators

About the time the protestant reformation began, men began more and more to assume roles previous held by women as in midwifery, healers, teachers.  The Christian ideals seldom find expression in Christianity at large.  The teaming up of men and women to pull together for the gospel as equal laborers is deeply contested.

The church went into a period of deep darkness after the glow of the early church faded.  The reformation was just the beginning.  Luther wished to reform his mother church.  Instead a new movement was born, and soon the reformation church was in an ongoing reformation.  This reformation... not of the Catholic church but of the Protestant movement continued.  The SDA movement was one more step of recovery of the early church fire.  There was the restoring of the Sabbath, and  acceptance of the leadership of God inspired women,  a call to a healing and health restoring lifestyle, and calling the world to recognize Jesus was in His final stage of intercession ministry before returning to the earth.

at the heart of this movement is the labor of many spirit filled women.

• Like 1

deb

Love awakens love.

....at the heart of this movement is the labor of many spirit filled women.

So why do we have this effort, granted, by a few, to diminish the role of women and to continue to cast doubts on them? Women continue to struggle in their role of equality within and without the church. Surely they desearve better than to be called "revisionist radical feminist"? How was Satan so successful in accomplishing this view of women amonst men? Was it simply his desire to see accomplished in men what he himself was thwarted in by God, that of a selfish desire to rule over all?