ClubAdventist is back!

Women of the Reformation

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

This section of  this forum is not for a discussion of theology.  So, please do not go off in the direction as to what should be the role of women in religious life.

I ask you to think with me for a moment:  Name the leaders of the Protestant Reformation that you can think of in a short period of time.  Yes, Luther and Calvin probably immediately came to your mind.  With a few minutes of thought, you probably thought of others.  Were any of those people female?  Why?

Well, in my case, it was my ignorance.    I did not know of any female leaders of the Protestant Reformation.

For a new view on this, see:

http://www.adventistreview.org/women-of-the-reformation

The role of women in the Protestant Reformation has often been ignored or treated as little more than a footnote in history. Consequently, while most Christians have heard of Martin Luther and John Calvin, it is rare to find Christians who can identify women who made a difference during the Reformation. Yet many women, emboldened by the concept of a priesthood of all believers, moved beyond the roles assigned by society at large to support the Reformation and did so at great risk to themselves. Some were well-educated women who were avid students of both Scripture and the writings of the reformers. Others held leadership positions in society and used their authority to support the Reformation. Most, however, were ordinary women who grasped the principles of the Reformation and influenced individuals in their social circles.

Gregory

• Moderators

The Review allows comments to its articles.  I am sorry, but I can not help but quote one of those comments:

NOTE:  I am speechless.  Yes, I can be speechless.

Cant we just enjoy the achievements of great men of the past without the effeminate agenda crowding out this great mans story.......why do we feel the need to inject feminism into everything that tells of men who were great...why?

Gregory

If there weren't women of renown recognized in the reformation, it was more than likely a result of biases held by the males in control at the time, aided and abetted by misinterpretations of Scripture in their day, for god has given ample evidence that He is willing to use any human, be they male or female, who is willing to help carry the  Word.

20 Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took the timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances...Exodus 15

4 Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, was judging Israel at that time. ....Judges 4  

14 So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. (She dwelt in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter.) And they spoke with her....2 Kings 22

and so on.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!   :D

Lift Jesus up!!

GREGORY

about your 1st post----i am sure  that  women did  play a roll in the reformation----Just that they  played a roll in the bible

dgrimm60

5 hours ago, LifeHiscost said:

20 Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took the timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances...Exodus 15

4 Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, was judging Israel at that time. ....Judges 4  

14 So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. (She dwelt in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter.) And they spoke with her....2 Kings 22

Interesting, but show me one place in the Scripture where women assumed the priesthood and went into the temple!

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

*****************************************************************************

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
        There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
        Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

*****************************************************************************

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

17 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

Interesting, but show me one place in the Scripture where women assumed the priesthood and went into the temple!

As far as I know, women have never held the position of priestly duties. Whether one can equate present duties of evangelists in the same category as priestly duties seems to me to be problematic. If they're handling the duties well, why would we begrudge them the privilege unless there is specific biblical evidence prohibiting the same.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D

Lift Jesus up!!