ClubAdventist is back!

What's on the menu at a Tudor feast?

Gail

• Administrators

Here is an excerpt of the menu of a feast for Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon:

‘…for first course there was chett and manchett bread, ale, beer, wine, herring, pottage, organe ling (cod), powdered eales or lamprons [tiny young eel], pike, calver salmon, whiting, haddocks, mullets or bass, plaice or gurnard, sea bream or soalles [sole], congers [eels] door [dory], porpoise, seale, carp, trout, crabs, lobsters, custard, rascalles or flage [cuts of venison], tart, fritter and fruit; and for the second course they had the options of second pottage, sturgeon, tench [carp], perch or other dish, roast eels with lampreys, chynes [a cut like a loin piece, similar to a salmon fillet today ] of boiled salmon, crayfish, shrimps, tart, fritter, fruit, baked apples, oranges, butter and eggs.’

If a noble at court did not see 20 plates of meat he would feel slighted.

• Like 3

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Stargazy pie: fish pie where the fish heads would peek out of the top pastry

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Foods disguised as other things were called deceptions. Fish were stuffed with leeks and chickens were stitched together and covered with leafy scales to look like a fish. A pie may be covered in pastry shaped like a castle.

interesting!

Carp?!?!? Gag, I remember fishing with my Dad and if we caught one, we would throw it back. Like Crocodile Dundee said, "You can eat it but it tastes like---oops I just remembered I can't finish that quote.

I didn't realize how much sea food they ate. In the movies you just see them with that big old turkey leg. I didn't even see poultry in that list. Porpoise and Seal ?!?!?!? Really??? What a shame.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

Poultry! How about the peacock? The head and neck skin would be preserved to be reinstated onto the cooked bird for presentation. 

Many birds were also part of a royal Tudor menu. I'll try to find a shopping list...

• Administrators

BTW, vegetables were poor people's fare. Turnips were a big item

• Administrators

The other ingredient that the rich English loved was sugar, which was very costly. Sweets were formed into buildings and other shapes.

• Administrators

From primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk:

meat

Three-quarters (75%) of the rich Tudor diet was made up of meat such as oxen, deer, calves, pigs, badger or wild boar. Birds were also eaten, such as chicken, pigeons, sparrows, heron, crane, pheasant, woodcock, partridge, blackbirds and peacocks.

• Administrators

From the same source:

Food for the Poor

Poor people ate a herb-flavoured soup called pottage which would be served with bread. It was made of peas, milk, egg yolks, breadcrumbs and parsley and flavoured with saffron and ginger.

I don't think pottage is so bad, but I might object if it was all I ever ate.

Sparrow???? Not a lot of meat on sparrows, and badger--I wonder what that tastes like?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.