ClubAdventist is back!

Abortion

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Abortion is a major issue in American society today.   It is also an  issue within Adventism.  Previously, this forum had engaged in a discussion of this subject, that was primarily led by a SDA member who is a major critic of what he saw as the SDA position on this subject.  With the passage of time, the leaders of this forum decided to close the discussion of this subject.  I was a part of that decision making process.  I supported that decision and I continue to  support that decision.

However, the issue of abortion is an issue that many SDA members will need to decide for themselves.  As part of that process, they may want to consider what the SDA position actually is on abortion.  In addition, SDA members, in general, should be able to be informed, if they want to be informed, as to what positions the Church has taken and what factors were involved in the SDA Church making the decisions that it has made.  This simply should be a part of the oppenness and transparency that our members want.

Unsubstantied claims have often been made as to the process  and rationale that is in the history of our denomination related to SDA hospitals performing abortions.  My positi9on is that our members who want such information should be able to discover the facts.  The following URL takes you to a 1993 academic paper on this subject.   It is a long paper that will be beyond the interest of many people.  It is dated in that it does not provide any comment related to recent times.  But, for people lwho want to know, I believe that it provides valuable information.  It is on that basis that I provide the link.  However, my doing so should not be considered to be an invitation to open up again discussion and debate.  Rather, I am providing and additional source of information that  people may use to make individual decisions.  Therefore, I am closing this thread from discussion.

https://ronaldlawson.net/2018/05/02/pro-what-seventh-day-adventists-and-abortion/

Gregory

• Gregory Matthews locked this topic