ClubAdventist is back!

NPUC Calls for Prayer

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The  North Pacific Union Conference has issued a statement calling for SDA members in its conference (and around the world) to unite in series of prayers over what it states is a crisis that is facing the denomination.

NOTE:   This, probably will not be what you expect and sorry about the formatting errors in the message below.

https://atoday.org/at/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NPUC-Call-to-Prayer-re-AC-issues.txt

Gregory

• Members

I've always kinda wondered about these type "call to prayer" requests.

Is God really swayed by the *number* of prayers regarding a situation?  It makes God look as if He's obliged to "perform by popular vote" ..... 

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

These values include honoring the wisdom of representative governance, where local churches, conferences and unions are trusted to adapt methods of our corporate mission appropriate to their own communities and territories. They include a time-honored principle that the strength of our world church flows up from the grassroots, not from the top down. (from the linked article)

This gets really tiring. They continue to act like this was an action of the general conference. Forgotten is that it was a decision of the world body of delegates. How much more "flows up from the grassroots" can you get?" This was representative government on a global scale.

We encourage Northwest members to join others around the world field then and throughout the Annual Council meetings, asking the Spirit to move the hearts of those who will vote to determine future directions for our church. (from the linked article)

If you can't get what you want the first time, just keep bugging the Holy Spirit and see if you can get a different answer!

• Like 1

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

7 hours ago, CoAspen said:

::spewcoffee::...not that it's a laughing matter, but yeah, I have also wondered about that.

Aren't we told that we need to ask for what we feel is needed. Our Father in Heaven will answer one of three ways. OK, no, or later.

“Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.

Matthew 7:7

[ Keep Asking, Seeking, Knocking ] “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :happysabbath:

Lift Jesus up!!

9 hours ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

I've always kinda wondered about these type "call to prayer" requests.

Is God really swayed by the *number* of prayers regarding a situation?  It makes God look as if He's obliged to "perform by popular vote" ..... 

I think not.  Ultimately, God's will will prevail - inside or outside of the denomination.

This type of issue raises some questions for me.  As a large denomination, the SDA Church has almost an obligation to set up certain standards through  a mission statement, goals and objectives, and  certain standards of conduct and beliefs.  As an SDA, do I just meekly revise my personal theology and philosophy to whatever the church demands?  Do I just quietly oppose those things I don't agree with in order to "get along"?  Or do I loudly protest my opinion of the apostasy and abuse of authority that I perceive and leave the denomination?

I imagine many of the original Jewish believers faced such questions when gentiles started pouring into the church with their non-Jewish practices and culture.

On 9/22/2018 at 7:29 PM, The Wanderer said:

Adding to the church daily," Do our current "rules" even allow that?

I think it depends on the congregation.  I have attended SDA churches that discretely voted compliant, supportive, regularly attending and reliable non-members into leadership positions (never elders, deacons, or deaconesses).  Of course, most of the members don't even realize these people are not card-carrying SDA's, and the ones that know don't care.  It's who they follow; not what denomination they belong to.  These are usually the most vibrant and spiritually prosperous SDA churches in the area.

9 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

IF we "added to the Church daily," ( Acts 2:47) we would have to have the church doors open 7 days a week, instead of one quarter day per week. we are "One Day Adventists" rather than "Seven Days Adventist."

I'm guessing this was a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment. But it does point out that all to often persons think the Bible is all about their '.org'. I believe the 'church' of Christ is the world and we don't know how many are being 'added daily'. 

On 9/22/2018 at 11:41 AM, B/W Photodude said:

They continue to act like this was an action of the general conference. Forgotten is that it was a decision of the world body of delegates. How much more "flows up from the grassroots" can you get?"

If you can't get what you want the first time, just keep bugging the Holy Spirit and see if you can get a different answer!

Your points and observations are right on!!

• Like 1

On September 22, 2018 at 2:41 PM, B/W Photodude said:

Having given this a bit more thought, it seems that occasionally in biblical history, God gave people what they agitated for even if it was against their best interests.

Then I remember this verse:

As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths. Isaiah 3:12 

Dear Liberals, Continuing to Ordain Women Is Childish And Factious

http://www.fulcrum7.com/news/2018/9/23/dear-liberals-continuing-to-ordain-women-is-childish-and-factious

Bill Liversidge Seminars

1 hour ago, B/W Photodude said:

Having given this a bit more thought, it seems that occasionally in biblical history, God gave people what they agitated for even if it was against their best interests.

Israel wanting a human king like the nations around them is a prime example.

A respectful "thumbs down" on the article you posted. But that's just my opinion; no judgement, brother.

2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

A respectful "thumbs down" on the article you posted. But that's just my opinion; no judgement, brother.

I figured out a long time ago that not everyone appreciates my posted links. C'est la vie!

2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

Israel wanting a human king like the nations around them is a prime example.

There are quite a few things that God tolerated in His  people. Keeping of slaves, genital mutilation of children (circumcision), multiple wives and concubines, killing family members that got in the way, and the list goes on.

Bill Liversidge Seminars