ClubAdventist is back!

Scandinavian Uniion Speaks on Unity

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The passage that you have cited is taken from the document from Scandinavia and is recommendation # 1.  A critical issue in responding to your question is this:  Does that document reference the so-called unity document, or does it speak more broadly to other questions on which the denomination seems to be divided today?

Unity document:  It must be stated, as has been done is multiple published reports, that this document has been produced and handled in a manner that is not customary.  It has not gone through the typical committee approval process.  There are other issues that have been raised with it, but, I do not want to get into a deep discussion on this, in this response.

Other divisive issues:  Upon reading, again, the Scandinavian document, I do not believe that the paragraph you quoted references the unity document.  Rather, I believe that it is referencing the other divisive issues that seem to divide the denomination.   I believe that the document is saying that we need to continue to talk in an effort to see if there is some way in which we can reach an agreement as to how we can act on these divisive issues that will allow some differences without attempting to force everyone into the exact same manner of operation.

Let me give you an example, which I do not believe was mentioned in the document.  I am simply attempting to illustrate what might be an example, but it might not be.  :)

Currently, SDA clergy are either Ordained or they are Commissioned.  Some elements of organizational structure have suggested that we do away with both, and that we then give all SDA clergy a document that has some other title.  Other elements have suggested that all SDA clergy be Commissioned and not Ordained.  Both of these solutions have been suggested.  The General Conference has responded with a ruling that neither can be done and that any organization that attempts to do such will be out of compliance with policy and should be subject to discipline.

The Scandinavian document does not suggest that either of these should happen.  Rather, it simply suggests that it is critical that we need to talk more and legislate less. 

Gregory