ClubAdventist is back!

Abraham's Mistake

Dr. Shane

Most Bible students agree it was a mistake for Abraham to marry Hagar.  Was it also a mistake for him to divorce her?

Abraham divorced Hagar because Sarah told him to and God’s command. So Abraham “sent her away” (Genesis 21:14). The Hebrew word גָּרֵשׁ (gârêsh) used when Sarah said, “Cast out” means exactly that, and is translated “divorced” in Leviticus 21:7, 14; 22:13; Numbers 30:9 and Ezekiel 44:22. The Hebrew word יְשַׁלְּחֶהָ (shallechehâ) (verse 14) for “sent her away” means the same.  It is also translated “divorce” in Deuteronomy 22:19, 29; 24:4; Jeremiah 3:1 and Malachi 2:16. Casting out and sending a wife away is divorce (Deuteronomy 24:1, 3; Isaiah 50:1; Jeremiah 3:8). The language used that of divorce. Abraham divorced Hagar (Genesis 16:3).

In Patriarchs and Prophets, Ellen White wrote, “The Lord, through a holy angel, directed him to grant Sarah’s desire; his love for Ishmael or Hagar ought not stand in the way, for only thus could he restore harmony and happiness to his family.” “Both Abraham and Sarah distrusted the power of God, and it was this error that led to the marriage with Hagar.” (p. 146, 147)  God had Abraham divorce Hagar to “restore harmony and happiness to his family.”

I am currently studying for my masters degree in family counseling at the Adventist university in Mexico (Universidad de Montemorelos).  My thesis is on the family after divorce.  The statistics we currently have available is that 50% of Adventists will leave the church within three years of their divorce.  That typically results in their minor children leaving the church too.  It is interesting that the first divorce in the Bible was not because of adultery or abandonment and was done at the direction of God.  Any thoughts about Abraham's divorce?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity