ClubAdventist is back!

Adventist Foundations

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Probably little is known of the foundations of  Adventism that  trace back to the time of Chist, well before Adventism was on the scene, and are related to  Africa and/or Blacks:

https://atoday.org/more-peoples-history-of-the-origin-of-black-adventism/

Gregory

16 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Jesus was a Protestant and a Seventh-day Adventist 

Jesus was a Jew.  How could He have been an SDA?  He never studied EGW.  He wasn't aware of the health message.  He ate meat.  He was a real troublemaker at church - so much so that some people wanted to kill Him.  If He came to one of our churches and said some of the stuff He said, He would be booted out of the church immediately.  And if He turned water into wine at an SDA party - wow - bye-bye Jesus.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

OK, you got me. I only know what the first four letters stand for. What are the others? (yes; I am behind the times)

Rolling On Floor Laughing My A$$ Off With Tears In My Eyes.

• Like 2

lol.jpg

• Like 2

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

• Members

**off topic**

anyone else ever read, "ROFL" and feel like you're hearing Scooby Doo saying "waffle"??

**back to topic**  :)

• Haha 2

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

2 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I also ascribe to this idea of "Adventism history that dates back to the time of Christ, and even further." 

?

Although they weren't called Adventists, they "originated" the Advent message of honoring the Sabbath and expecting the imminent return of Christ.  Both Paul and Peter mention the soon coming of Christ in their epistles; and - as Jews - they most certainly kept the Sabbath. 1844 wasn't the first time (nor the last) that sincere believers expected the imminent return of Christ.

2 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Jesus kept the seventh-day Sabbath; and He was most certainly a Protestant.

Yeah; if you want to call His protests against the establishment church.   But He wasn't expecting His own imminent return.  He knew better.  So He wasn't an SDA.

If He was on earth today, I doubt that He would be an SDA (or any other denomination) as we know the church today.  My guess is that He would still be a Jew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

But He wasn't expecting His own imminent return.  He knew better. 

How would He know? He said no one but the Father knew!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

38 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

How would He know? He said no one but the Father knew!

I'm thinking Jesus was smart enough not to expect his own imminent return to a place he was already at...just sayin'.

19 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Jesus was more than aware of His purpose, and that He would die by crucifixion, be raised again, and return again:

I tend to believe that Jesus had nothing available to Him that we do not have available if we lived the life He lived. He understood prophecy, but not all things were open to Him. Otherwise, He would not have said no one but the Father knows. It is to me encouraging that everything He did and/or needed is also available to anyone who lives a life close to God in every way. True, He knew some things specific to His mission, but so do each of us have a mission.

• Like 2

Bill Liversidge Seminars

43 minutes ago, B/W Photodude said:

I tend to believe that Jesus had nothing available to Him that we do not have available if we lived the life He lived. He understood prophecy, but not all things were open to Him. Otherwise, He would not have said no one but the Father knows. It is to me encouraging that everything He did and/or needed is also available to anyone who lives a life close to God in every way. True, He knew some things specific to His mission, but so do each of us have a mission.

I believe this to be true up to a certain extent.  Jesus NEVER sinned.  All mankind has sinned; making them candidates for death.  Plus, I believe that Jesus - being filled with the HS from birth, had a closer connection to the Father than we sinful humans have.  On the other hand, While Jesus did face all the temptations we face yet was without sin, I believe He was tempted to a FAR greater degree than we humans are - especially in the wilderness when He had to face satan "in the flesh".

I was thinking about the "kinsman-redeemer" story in Ruth this morning.  I believe this to be a model of what Christ did for us.  His bride to be approached Boaz boldly; set submitted to him by lying at His feet; just like we - as the future bride of Christ, should approach the throne of grace boldly and lay our lives at Jesus' feet. The word for kinsman-redeemer in Hebrew is "goel".  The duties of the kinsman-redeemer include:

The kinsman-redeemer’s obligation to redeem the land. Lev 25:25-28; Jer 32:6-9

The kinsman-redeemer’s obligation to redeem the enslaved. Lev 25:47-55

The kinsman-redeemer’s obligation to provide an heir .Ge 38:8-10; Dt 25:5-10; Mt 22:23-28 pp Mk 12:18-23 pp Lk 20:27-33

The kinsman-redeemer’s obligation to avenge death. Nu 35:16-21

The kinsman-redeemer’s obligation to be a trustee. Nu 5:5-8

Aren't all these things the same things Jesus does for us?  The duties described above are to be carried out by a close relative.  Jesus is our "goel" - our kinsman-redeemer.  He not only redeems us; but - since we have been adopted into the family of God - He is also a close relative!  He is our Brother if God is our Father.  I like that idea!

On 11/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, The Wanderer said:

The Roman Catholic Church is not; and never was "the first Church."

The Eastern Orthodox tradition pre-dates the Roman Catholic. Of the extant churches, the Eastern Orthodox is the oldest.

God never said "Thou shalt not think".

1 hour ago, pierrepaul said:

The Eastern Orthodox tradition pre-dates the Roman Catholic. Of the extant churches, the Eastern Orthodox is the oldest.

As I understand it, that's like saying my left leg is older than my right leg. Both started with Christ and his disciples at Pentecost.

Both churches, that is, not legs.

They are actually the same church. It's just that the (incorrectly called) "Roman" church follows the western "roman" rites, while the "Orthodox" church follows eastern rites.