ClubAdventist is back!

Prayer of Thanksgiving

David Koot

I am absolutely amazed! All through high school and college, I loved sailboats, loved the ocean and S.F. Bay. During college at PUC, I owned a 26' steel lifeboat with 15 ft. oars, which I used to take out rowing on the Bay. After I responded to Gods' calling to do His work, I gave up on sailboats and the sea, and devoted myself to seeking souls for God's kingdom. I thought that was the end of that phase of my life.

Recently, I was caught by surprise when an urgent need for housing arose, and God led me to a sailboat which was suitable to live aboard, as well as very, very inexpensive. I am living aboard now, and it is absolutely marvelous! The boat is very nicely done inside, and very spacious and comfortable. I thought that I had arrived!

But then came today! There was an ad on Craigslist for a free Bear Boat. Upon researching it out, turns out the Bear class of sailboats were built during the 1930's thru 1950's, right here on the San Francisco Bay. The boat is 23' long, with a full keel, and is very, very seaworthy. This one, built in 1946, with a new hull recently, good sails, good outboard, good hull, beautiuful mahogany cabin with two berths and a gorgeous mahogany sliding table, was being offered for FREE. I contacted the man, he called me back, we went down this afternoon to look at it, and I walked away with a beautiful carvel-planked historic sailboat. FREE! I am very grateful to God! He is interested in even the little personal wishes that His people have. Thank-you, Lord!

• Moderators

Wow, a free boat -- that must be rare! Our wonderful God does provide more than we ask or think. That kind of boat living must be quite different than living in an anchored houseboat (we lived in one in Sausalito, and just the slip was $700/mo, not to mention the boat itself, and that was 15 years ago). Besides the ever-changing views, getting close to sea life, and getting rocked to sleep, I imagine very little dusting is necessary. . .

LD

LD

Quote:

You should post a photo of this sailboat on this site.

I will, as soon as I can figure out how to! Not very literate when it comes to posting graphics via the internet!

Quote:

That kind of boat living must be quite different than living in an anchored houseboat (we lived in one in Sausalito, and just the slip was $700/mo, not to mention the boat itself, and that was 15 years ago).

Yes, my situation is much less expensive than that--but then again, I don't have a big houseboat! And, I am not in Sausalito. Although, the Bear Boat is in Tiburon, right now. But not for long.

Quote:

Besides the ever-changing views, getting close to sea life, and getting rocked to sleep, I imagine very little dusting is necessary. . .

LOL yes, all those things are true! It is a real blessing!

Dave

I want to add another prayer of thanksgiving, because I am able to write this post this evening. This morning, I set out to sail my gift sailboat up to her new home. It started out a calm morning. However, shortly after clearing the strait, a very strong wind sprang up, and steep, cresting seas. My course was due north, and I had to take them abeam. Quite rapidly, the situation became very dangerous. I had not put on my life jacket, because I thought there was no need for it on this easy run. Nor had I inflated the life raft, although it was aboard. Now, I could do neither. Had my hands full at the tiller, and hanging on. After almost two hours, I saw that I was being blown backwards, and losing ground. I then turned back to where I started from. As I entered the previously-calm strait, a violent headwind sprang up, and my boat, although seaworthy, began taking water over the bow. I wasn't sure if I would get back. By God's grace, I made it. Just walking on dry land felt wonderful! I thank God for protecting me and delivering me from possible loss of life.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you're safe. Hey David I'm really interested in your boat living. Wish you had a blog or at least photos. Sounds very nomadic and interesting.