ClubAdventist is back!

Advent Movement

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

An overwhelmed spouse of the clergy asks for advice from Aunt Sevvy! You might be surprised with the response.
S.gif
S.gif
1f5787ec-8e23-44c0-b8da-5ee4b96a9783.png

S.gif
EDITOR'S NOTES
0fdbbe95-aa03-4d64-b050-b7a341fec38b.png
Introducing AT on Patreon
Patreon is a crowdfunding concept for artists and creators to raise money for their work in a world that so often does not feel that artists and creators deserve to be paid.

The idea is that you can pay small amounts every month to artists and creators of your choice. I support 7 creators on Patreon, ranging in content: 3 podcasts, 2 video bloggers, one blog, and one independent magazine. To some, I give as little as $1 a month, others as much as $10 a month. If a hundred people donate $10 a month to an artist, they get paid $1000 a month for the work they produce. In return, I receive quality content from the artists I support, and usually special privileges from the artists who appreciate my patronage.
Can you guess the name of the independent magazine I support? You guessed it ... Adventist Today!

I appreciate the work of Adventist Today, giving us independent content, opinions, news, scholarly work, and commentary that is not controlled by the General Conference and its publishing machine. And I put my money where my mouth is ... even if I can't afford very much.
If you aren't a person who feels comfortable with this new medium of giving, I encourage you to share this information about Patreon with someone. Patreon is becoming very popular among millennials and younger generations who don't have a lot of discretionary spending money but who are eager to give in small amounts to support creators with quality content such as Adventist Today.
The Adventist Today Patreon page is fairly new so there aren't very many supporters (yet). Let one of your resolutions be to be one of the first to show your appreciation for independent Adventist journalism by signing up to give a small amount every month ... which will add up to a lot when we all pitch in!
Thank you for your generous support,
Lindsey Painter
AT writer and Update editor

[NOTE:  Thee above was taken from Adventist Today and I will comment on it in a post below.]

STAY CONNECTED:

Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter

Toll free number: 800.236.3641

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Gregory

• Moderators

My comment is intended to be a critique of the above post, in accord with the "Fair use" doctrine of the copyright that applies to that publication.

In my opinion, that above post is accurate to some degree to the manner in which the SDA denomination in the past did business.  I will admit that all to often we simply moved people on the another post, which might include that  of a congregational pastor.  In addition, we all to often failed to properly vet people we employed.   I am reminded of a case of which I am personally aware of a person who was released from a prison term in which he had pled guilty to two counts of sexual assualt on children of 6 & 9 years of age, and almost immediately hired to sell our books door to door.  In this  case, he was fired as ss soon as the Conference was informed about it.

In my personal oopinion, we do much better today that we have done in the past.  I am not saying that we are perfect.  BUt, I am saying that based upon my personal knowledge,  SDA organizations are much more aware of issues and it is much less likely for a person to be moved, here in the NAD, as suggested by the publication above.

So, in one sense, I do not believe that the above publication accurately reflects the present.

Gregory

• Moderators

In the case of the person I mentioned, a simple background check would have revealed his prison sentence.  If we are going to send people door to door selling our books we ought to do background  checks.

NOTE:  This case is not a recent one.  I have to assume that today a background check would be done. 

Gregory

4 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

In the case of the person I mentioned, a simple background check would have revealed his prison sentence.  If we are going to send people door to door selling our books we ought to do background  checks.

I would also like to see background checks on the occupants of any houses I might visit! Seriously, in this #MeToo era, I would not go to anyones house I did not know without company. I considered some lines of work that would involve home visits, but no more. Bible studies might have to be done in public places. In my town, we have a fast food restaurant where the manager welcomes peoples to come in and study their Bibles even in groups. He says it lends a more positive atmosphere to their restaurant. So, one of the men that comes in there is a retired teacher of religion, computers, and math. He teaches Sunday school in the church where my mom graduated from cradle roll in 1927!

>>>Texts in blue type are quotes<<<

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

--Shakespeare from Hamlet

Bill Liversidge Seminars

The Emergent Church and the Invasion of Spiritualism

While in my conference, they are now running the "Shield the Vulnerable" program which I believe requires fingerprinting volunteers. And churches pay into an insurance fund for any potential events. So, I was interested in an item that came down from conference to discuss watching for potential predators. Ticked me off really when it seemed to focus on men as predators. This past Sabbath, a 76 year old man dropped in to visit and he remarked, during a hi how are you and welcome moment, about one little 9 year old he though was cute. Later, ladies were whispering to keep an eye on him because he might be interested in little girls!

This perhaps is another one of a long list of reasons why men will not come to church, they become suspects. You can read more about it in the links below and note the behavior of some of female pastors toward men. 

http://www.fulcrum7.com/blog/2017/1/15/adsafe-is-unsafe

Effeminate men are more likely to commit crimes against children than heterosexual men and amazingly Adsafes own data shows Clergy and elders committing the majority of the crimes against kids in our system.  Clergy have among the lowest levels of testosterone in the world and this may be a significant factor as environment can directly affect testosterone levels.

https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=b0f64c496b987a3030a0aab0a&id=f20066a23d

Bill Liversidge Seminars

16 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Where is the evidence that this is right, that "convictions must correspond" to some line of reasoning like this? I have never seen a female Pastor act like this.  I think this whole thing is being made too paranoid on all sides, everybody needs to realize that this is a problem, and that questions need to be asked if someone's behavior is suspicious.

I have resisted and probably will continue to do so in not listing a large number of anti-male and other immoral  activities by female pastors in the SDA church. It is not paranoid, it is occurring.

Bill Liversidge Seminars

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 13.28.57.jpg

You may not know, but even laughing gets me a "point", and at this moment I am now no. 1 for the week!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

6 hours ago, B/W Photodude said:

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 13.28.57.jpg

You may not know, but even laughing gets me a "point", and at this moment I am now no. 1 for the week!

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

What kind of point? A point for what? And number one what for the week? It must be for The "Grand Poobah" of "The Buffalo Club." lol

(On the forum page where you see the weekly contributers)

You mean I can't trade those points in for prizes?!

Seriously, sometimes you get a stalker who follows your posts and does stuff like putting in laugh emojis, often and innapropriately, without making a reasonable answer to your comment. Not against even very serious objections done in a thoughtful intellectual way, but continuous "laugh emojis"? Grow up!

Bill Liversidge Seminars

They may be ready to fire you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMgzJ3XH0c

Bill Liversidge Seminars