ClubAdventist is back!

Who/What Are We?

Gregory Matthews

• 2 weeks later...

From the article:

Can We Talk?

"I’m not sure if we can, or if we want to, talk about this. The first step would be to ask whether we’re willing to rethink our notion of being the only true church, about the Sabbath being the mark of God’s only true followers. I’m not optimistic that we can. This is deeply and essentially who we are, our reason for being."

I wholly agree with the premise of both parts, with the exception of the above.  I see no reason the rethink my notion that our church is the one true church.  If I thought it was the wrong church, I would leave.  I would NOT consider myself a true follower of Christ if I did not observe the Sabbath.  My relationship with Christ is deeply intertwined with Sabbath observance.

That being said, I cannot put that on other Christians.  I have known people who left Adventism to go elsewhere; and from my POV, they have a much healthier relationship with Christ in their new setting than as SDA's.  My whole family except for me and my wife are  Catholic; and most people I study or discuss Scripture with are not Adventist.  I have no problem going to their churches with them even if they don't come to mine.

To take the article even one step further, my wife and I experienced significant retribution when we simply transferred from one SDA congregation to another.  You would think we "betrayed" the first congregation.