ClubAdventist is back!

Jesus and Divorce

Dr. Shane

9 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

a "word study" doesnt justify this view. Think CONTEXT. Sorry, I have to continue later.

Again, I am not sure the view you refer to.  Of course, like any Biblical doctrine, we cannot build it completely on one specific word used by the author (especially Paul).  On the subject of divorce, we need to look at Abraham's divorce of Hagar, what Moses wrote about divorce, the mass divorce that took place during the time of Ezra and what Jesus taught in addition to what Paul wrote.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

6 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I wonder what the church actually does teach here. Is this something left to local congregations to decide? I do see and agree with the "hardness of heart" concepts.

Abandonment was added to the church manual as grounds for divorce by the 2000 GC.  That is also known as the Pauline Privilege although I do not believe that is the terminology used in the church manual.  Constructive abandonment is a principle from old British law.  That is a concept that includes abuse and neglect.  If a spouse is abusive or neglectful it can be considered constructive abandonment.  That terminology is not used in the church manual.  What constitutes abandonment is up to the local congregation.

Before no-fault divorce became the law of the land in the US, the church used to just use the legal divorce decree to decide if a member was eligible to get remarried.  If they were the innocent party and their ex was guilty of adultery than they could get remarried.  Now, more congregations are willing to accept the member's repentance and let the member get remarried regardless of the circumstances of their divorce.  The only time it will become an issue is if the person is employed by the Conference as a pastor or school teacher.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity