ClubAdventist is back!

Who or What is Rahab?

JoeMo

In the interest of keeping some meaningful discussion going on this forum, I am starting this topic.  I did not put it in the Theological Town Hall because I didn't think it rose to the level of theology.  So here goes ...

I have always assumed Rahab was the prostitute saved by Joshua in the destruction of Jericho. However, in my recent reading of the Bible, there was evidently another Rahab - one who was evil and in rebellion against God; one who existed before the Rahab of Jericho:

"God does not restrain his anger; even the cohorts of Rahab cowered at his feet." (Job 9:13)

"By his power he churned up the sea; by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces." (Job 26:12)

It appears that God personally destroyed this Rahab:

"You crushed Rahab like one of the slain; with your strong arm you scattered your enemies." (Psalm 89:10)

"Awake, awake, arm of the Lord, clothe yourself with strength! Awake, as in days gone by, as in generations of old. Was it not you who cut Rahab to pieces, who pierced that monster through?" (Is. 51:9)

In looking at some "commentaries" on these verses, some free-thinking theologians believe that Rahab was a planet that existed between Mars and Jupiter that was destroyed or blasted out of its orbit in a supernatural war sometime prior to Day 1 of creation. It was alleged to be the "headquarters" of satan and his band of fallen angels.

Genesis 1:2 makes it clear that the earth as we know it was created from pre-existing material; or it couldn't have been in chaos before Day 1 of creation.  These "theologians" propose that the earth was destroyed by thousands of meteoric strikes as a result of the Planet Rahab being destroyed.  These folks also proposed that the earth was populated before and during this catastrophe; and these creatures were all destroyed along with the surface of the earth upon the destruction of Rahab.  They point to Genesis 1:28 as a proof text:

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

The term "replenish" implies that all previous humanoid life on the planet had been destroyed; and it was Adam and Eve's job to begin repopulating it.  Otherwise, God would have told then to simply "plenish" the earth (I don't think that's a word).

For further information of this curiosity, see https://www.fallenangels-ckquarterman.com/rahab/ and http://www.sherryshriner.com/sherry/planet-rahab.htm.

Like I said, this doesn't raise to the level of theology.  I did find it curious and an entertaining read, however.  Any comments?

9 hours ago, Aliensanctuary said:

I think that the Earth was not created on Day 1, but was already in existence, just not as we know it now. It may have been located somewhere else, then moved on Day 4.

Who knows? The Bible gives us very little to no information  on the history of earth or solar system prior to the creation of modern man.  Anything "religious" that we have to say about the state of our region of space prior to the existence of the Age in which we live is strictly spiritual speculation and theory.  We only have analysis of physical observation to give us a clue.  Even with that, there are many true believers that reject the idea that the universe existed more than 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.  Fact is, none of us but God and His angels were there.