ClubAdventist is back!

Under Law

Gregory Matthews

4 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

four times her name is written before that of her husband

4 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

The reason the author of the Letter to the Hebrews is not named, may very well be because she was a woman.

As did Jesus, a number of times, it is evident that in unimportant matters Paul was still amenable to Hebrew customs and rites:

"Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken." (Acts 18:18).

Jesus often showed this same kind of respect for local customs and culture; which it is more likely the thing this passage actually was referring to. There are a number of versions which put Aquila's name before Priscillas, so because of that, and Acts 18:18, it is unlikely this text was talking about The woman being first or pre-eminent in some way here.

Its much more likely that Paul desired to conciliate his Judaizing opponents so far as he could without surrendering vital principles. He took his new-found friends with him to Ephesus. It was a translator's choice here re whose name to put first, and had nothing to do with a hermeneutic principle that would suggest the men vs women controversy your post hints at here.

Though none of them really realized it at the time, there was important work awaiting them in that mighty city, Ephesus, in the Temple there. Evidently, the plans of Apostles, and of ordinary travelers need to be subordinated to the divine will. See also  1 Cor 4:19; James 4:15.

In these texts from Acts 18; Apollos combined the eloquence of the Greek with the religious instinct of the Jew. A student from the great university at Alexandria, a convert to the gospel, deeply conversant with the Old Testament, gifted with marvelous eloquence, Appolos was a strong ally of the Christian forces of his age. But he needed to know of the death, resurrection, and ascended power of Christ, and to experience the new life of Christ, through The Spirit. ("in Him was life; and THE Life was the Life of men/women). Into all these Appolos was led by Aquila and Priscilla. The order of their written names has nothing to do with the exegetical or doctrinal point being made by the text.

It is truly a blessing how that holy wisdom which the Spirit of God gives to simple and humble believers,  that they can become teachers of people who are intellectually their superiors; as we see in this passage from Acts 18!

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).

6 hours ago, 8thdaypriest said:

The Letter to the Hebrews may have been written by Priscilla, wife of Aquila.  Both were leaders of the Church of Ephesus for years, along with Timothy. 

Rachel is amazing, you can write about how sensitive I was concerning my grammar, but no comment on what I wrote to showed that is was Paul, who wrote Hebrew! The problem with so many of us, we tried to accept those who do not accept or keep YAHWEH'S Word as truth. Just because they might have Phd's or write great Books ect. However, I will stand on the understanding of the culture differences in the writing style of Paul to the Hebrews vs. the writing style that Paul wrote to the Gentiles. Many have told lies on Paul on many things to accept fables and doctrines that do not coincide with the Bible as a whole.

I look at the NT and culturally see words that do not flow in the Greek but are more understandable in Hebrew. But that is not important, too many do not want to accept the Bible and constantly delve into the writings to try to interpret it the way they want. I can only humbly say this, John who wrote Revelation,  stated clearly that no one will enter the Gates of the City unless they keep THE MOST HIGH Commandments. Many, also, have criticized John about him being the writer of Revelation. I hope and pray that we all here in this forum make it in. Look at the signs and see that time is running out. 

I want to thank all of you because I have received a blessings just from the comments. I may not agree with all of them, nor do you all agree with mine. But it has helped me to study more and stand for those principles that the Word of THE MOST HIGH has stated. The main one is HIS WORD WILL NOT COME BACK TO HIM VOID! It  all comes down to that we all need to love and if we love then we will want to keep all of HIS Truth! The Bible said if you love ME, then keep MY Commandments. I pray sincerely to see all of you in the New Jerusalem standing before THE FATHER, THE SON and THE HOLY SPIRIT!

Be blessed everyone! Please, pray for me!

On 10/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, stinsonmarri said:

The main one is HIS WORD WILL NOT COME BACK TO HIM VOID!

THIS alone is what has kept me going under many crazy and troubling situations.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain comes down, and the snow from the heavens, and does not return there, but waters the earth, and makes it bring out and bud, and give seed to the sower and bread to the eater;
so shall My Word be, which goes out of My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall certainly do what I sent it to do. (Isa 55:9-11, MKJV)

• Thanks 1

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).