ClubAdventist is back!

Sunday Blue Laws Revisted: The "Science" Speaks

BlessedMan

Well, apparently, some scientists, with impressive initials after their names, are voting for international Sunday legislation:

A Modest Proposal for a Day of Rest
Zac JohnsonZac JohnsonBusiness EducationJanuary 29, 2018

Dr. Smadja’s daring plan calls for an international day of rest (about 53 days per year) plus approximately 15 “holidays” where cumulatively there would be a cessation of all productive activity for approximately 70 days, or about 20% of the year.  These days of “non-activity” would help achieve the shared goal outlined in the Paris Climate Conference (COP21) of a 20% reduction of pollution globally by 2050, with the aim of keeping global warming below 2°C.

Smadja brings together social, economic, ecological and theological principles to address the serious issue of climate change.

The tide appears like it may be changing, as the size and scale of climate change denial become better known.  Also, multinational companies are seeking public relations and business advantages to a more environmentally-friendly policy.  Unilever recently unveiled its sustainability initiatives, including sourcing 100% of its energy for production from renewable sources by 2030 and has already cut its carbon emissions by 43% from 2008 to 2016.  Coca-Cola, Ikea, and Walmart are also taking steps toward 100% renewable energy.

This suggests that the time may be right for Dr. Smadja’s proposal.  “This frantic race to go faster and faster makes us forget essential things, such as loving ourselves, others and also our earth,” says Smadja, “the result is a global disaster, whose ecological impact is more and more obvious.  A Sabbath for ourselves, our industry and our environment is a corrective to these failures. It is a transcendence of spiritual over material will lead to a better sharing of wealth and a measurable improvement to the climate crisis that can bring together populists, progressives and conservatives toward a common cause.”

The CST  "Common Good Theology" is alive and well.

Edited by BlessedMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).

• Members

This will be coming sooner than later, if trump and the evangelicals get re-elected!! I have no doubt about it, and I'm not afraid, can't wait for this to happen so that our Lord and Savior comes and ends this!!

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

1 hour ago, phkrause said:

I'm not afraid, can't wait for this to happen

are you SURE about this?

(2 Cor 1:3-4) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Light In The Clouds

In Christ; and through The Spirit; "there is always a little Light..."  (Micah 7:8).

18 hours ago, phkrause said:

This will be coming sooner than later, if trump and the evangelicals get re-elected!!

Another attempt to hijack a thread and make it about the evil Trump.  When will it stop?  Trump's own family contains devout Jews; so saying he would enforce a Sunday Law is pure fake news.

:backtopic:

A worldwide Sunday Law (or any other universally enforced day of rest) will not happen until /unless a totalitarian global government is established.  Otherwise there is no power on earth who could (or would) enforce it.

• Thanks 1

• Members
1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

Another attempt to hijack a thread and make it about the evil Trump.  When will it stop?  Trump's own family contains devout Jews; so saying he would enforce a Sunday Law is pure fake news.

Did I say EVIL trump?????????? If I did let me have a link to that statement!!!!! Please, otherwise do not respond in this way!!! Fake is the statement that I said "Eveil trump!!!" That would be you And keep believing that there wont be a sunday law, because it will happen!!!!!

• Like 2

phkrause

• Members
19 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

are you SURE about this?

Yes I am!!

phkrause

3 hours ago, JoeMo said:

Another attempt to hijack a thread and make it about the evil Trump.

IMO, there was NO "hijacking" attempt. PK is one forum member who doesnt do that. In all the years I have been on the forum, I have never seen him do such things, not even once. BTW, a little thread drift is ok, but its not OK to make it personal, about a specific person.  You should try looking over a persons posting history before jumping the gun. Not everyone that mentions Trump is "hijacking."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Light In The Clouds

4 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

IMO, there was NO "hijacking" attempt. PK is one forum member who doesnt do that. In all the years I have been on the forum, I have never seen him do such things, not even once.

You started this topic, so if you don't feel it was hijacked, so be it.

My apologies to you, PK. I meant no offense.

sovereignty

1 hour ago, JoeMo said:

You started this topic, so if you don't feel it was hijacked, so be it.

My apologies to you, PK. I meant no offense.

I appreciate the thought behind your original concern; I really do. Its tough when someone does hijack a topic for those who dont want to wander off into other areas. I KNOW I have been guilty at times, so Im no better than you. I was in a bit of a rush earlier, or I would have added that. Hope you have a great & Godly night my friend.

BTW, Id appreciate your opinion about the OP where I quoted from a source re "the science," and what that might mean for Christians, today, and going forward, into the apparently, near future. I don't think it can be denied, credibly, that a technocratic marxist agenda is coming down the pipes. There is NO WAY the current "green deal" can be accomplished, without the surrender of democracy, and national sovereignty to a new TRANSNATIONAL government. "Listen to the science."

Light In The Clouds

7 hours ago, phkrause said:

Yes I am!!

Well, please don't take this personally, but I did ask that question for a good reason. This is not saying anything about you personally, just about people, in general.

I have learned some really tough lessons, the hard way, about being confident like that, and thinking/proclaiming that "Im ready."  And after what I have learned, I realize how un-ready most of us really are.

Peter, for one, is a very good example. When Jesus told Peter he would deny Him 3 times later that night, Peter was almost indignant in saying:

Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples. (Mat 26:35)

Paul also sounded the warning about this very thing :

Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. (1 Cor 10:12)

I know quite a few people, who, years ago, said quite loudly and proudly "Im ready for the time of trouble," and NONE of those people are in the church now, and most of them are not even Christians anymore. They were not apparently half as ready as they thought they were, so I am just putting out the warning, so to speak about that. its not for you personally, its for everyone, including me.

The Self-sufficient Go On in Supposed Strength.--Many today stand where Peter stood when in self-confidence he declared that he would not deny his Lord. And because of their self-sufficiency, they fall an easy prey to Satan's devices. Those who realize their weakness trust in a power higher than self. And while they look to God, Satan has no power against them. But those who trust in self are easily defeated. Let us remember that if we do not heed the cautions that God gives us, a fall is before us. Christ will not save from wounds the one who places himself unbidden on the enemy's ground. He lets the self-sufficient one, who acts as if he knew more than his Lord, go on in his supposed strength. Then comes suffering and a crippled life, or perhaps defeat and death (MS 115, 1902).  {5BC 1102.7}

• Like 2

Light In The Clouds

2 minutes ago, BlessedMan said:

a fall is before us

My personal opinion is that NONE of us are ready for whats coming; and Jesus will be our ONLY hope then. I would imagine we can start practicing that anytime now. :)

Light In The Clouds

9 hours ago, JoeMo said:

unless a totalitarian global government is established.

THIS is exactly what "the science" is advocating for. In another post, Ill enclose some documentation to further explain this.

Light In The Clouds

• Members
19 hours ago, BlessedMan said:

Well, please don't take this personally, but I did ask that question for a good reason. This is not saying anything about you personally, just about people, in general.

I wont, its a very good question!! I've prayed to God on many occasions to just come, no matter if I'm ready or not, because I've seen more than enough suffering that others are going thru! "Just come Lord Jesus, to many people are suffering all over this world, please just come!!"

phkrause

On 11/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, BlessedMan said:

BTW, Id appreciate your opinion about the OP where I quoted from a source re "the science," and what that might mean for Christians, today, and going forward, into the apparently, near future

I'm a little confused by your use of the word "science" here.  In a purely, academic sense, the "science" does indicate that if everyone in the world reduced their carbon footprint to zero, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would go down.  What science does not indicate is that simply reducing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will reduce temperature.  It also makes sense that closing down everything in the world for one day a week would reduce pollution.  In a practical sense, that could never happen without a worldwide totalitarian government.  We have many religious leaders in the world (Christian and non-Christian) claiming that we have a moral obligation to address global warming; increasing the possibility of worldwide religious support for addressing climate change.  So, in the end, it won't be the science that drives trying to control climate change, it will be the politics and religion.

In my opinion, trying to meaningfully control climate change is as desperate as trying to control solar cycles or interstellar gas.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

I'm a little confused by your use of the word "science" here. 

On 11/12/2019 at 4:29 PM, BlessedMan said:

Dr. Smadja’s daring plan calls for an international day of rest (about 53 days per year) plus approximately 15 “holidays” where cumulatively there would be a cessation of all productive activity for approximately 70 days, or about 20% of the year.  These days of “non-activity” would help achieve the shared goal outlined

This is a "scientist" that I quoted in the op. Did you catch the wording of "shared goals?" THAT is about much more than "climate." When I get time, Ill share the parts of the agreement being referred to.

Light In The Clouds

8 hours ago, JoeMo said:

What science does not indicate is that simply reducing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will reduce temperature.

this is one of the things I am talking about. Even from High-School Biology, which was for me, many years ago now, this idea would have gone against almost everything there is to know about "climate."   The "emergency" is based upon computer-generated modelling which is very unproven. There are so many variables involved, even a kid wouldn't fall for it if they have done their homework. IMO.

The climate change we are seeing, in my mind, has many possible causes and meanings.

Light In The Clouds

There was an article this week that proposed a possible coming mini "Ice Age", based on the expansion of antarctic ice this past winter. I tried to find it again with no success; or I would have posted it.

2 hours ago, JoeMo said:

There was an article this week that proposed a possible coming mini "Ice Age", based on the expansion of antarctic ice this past winter. I tried to find it again with no success; or I would have posted it.

Ive seen similar articles for years now.

Light In The Clouds