ClubAdventist is back!

A True Story

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The following is a true story from several years ago that I have been legally prevented from telling.  But, now my contract has expired and I can tell it.

We had recently moved from Colorado to California.  In my mail one day I received a letter telling me that if I wanted to earn some extra money their company would employ me.  I threw the letter in the trash, as I consider it to be a scam.    A short time letter, I found a note on my front door again inviting me to consider working for that company.  This interested me, but I was still concerned.  So, I began to investigate.   I researched the offer and discovered that it was a legitimate offer.  It was from a company that did want to employ me.  I asked a representative to visit me and tell me more as to what was involved.

The company pays tens of thousands of people to allow them to install computerized equipment in their home that will report to the company those television programs that are being watched.  It reports which members of the family were watching the programs.  It reports whether or not the commercials are being watched and whether or not the programs are being recorded and watched at a later time.  In addition, while not required, for additional payments, we could allow the websites that were visited on household computers and how long someone was on that website.  We would receive payments each 3-months and would be required to certify that we had not told anyone other than friends who might visit us and notice the equipment, that we were involved in this program.

My wife and I agreed to the program.  Several thousand dollars of computerized equipment was installed on the several televisions in our home.  A computerized cell phone was established to report to the company.  The required software was installed on our computers.  

For the required period of time every time we watched a TV program, for any length of time, and any time we viewed a website, the company was notified in detail.  I was amazed as to the amount of detailed information that was transmitted to the company.  But, it reminded me that God knows much more about our activities than does any other human organization.

• Like 2

Gregory

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I believe that they paid me about $300 per year.  It was not a great amount.  But, it was something and I was interested in being part of that group.

Gregory