ClubAdventist is back!

Military Chaplains

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

In mid-1975, I joined seven (7) SDA chaplains serving in the U.S. Army on active duty.  At that time the Army had more SDA chaplains than did the other military services.  Today (7/23/21) there are 130 SDA clergy (both men and women) serving in all of the U.S. military as SDA chaplains.  We have come a long way   In addition, there are hundreds of SDA Clergy serving in the military services of other nations.

In addition to active duty I have served as a SDA Chaplain to an Army Reserve unit and to a National Guard unit (Washington D.C.).

Gregory

• 2 months later...

I'd like to know just what a military chaplain does, if you would be comfortable describing the responsibilities and some of your experiences. I used to work for a retired colonel who was on McArthur's staff in the Philippines. Never served myself but respect the Ideal: "I am of Caesar but have tried to render unto God the things that are his."

• Moderators

I just saw this and I will give a short answer:

*  Navy chaplains serve in the Navy and in the Marine Corps.    As a Navy chaplain they spend a lot of time at sea on ships.   They conduct religious services, provide counseling and otherwise build relationships with other military members.

*  Air Force chaplains go wherever Air force personnel are assigned.  In one sense they serve as a congregational pastor providing a full pastoral program.

*  Army chaplains are mostly assigned to military units and as such they go wherever the unit is assigned.  So, I was mostly a unit chaplain providing counseling and pastoral care to the unit.  I went into combat with a unit.  I have served on the teaching faculty of an Army school training clergy to become an Army chaplain.  I have been a full-time congregational pastor in Korea.  I have been formally recognized for my work with solders requesting conscientious objector discharge.  My work, and the help of the Lord has prevented SDAs and others from going to prison for a religious issue.  I have been formally responsible, on a high level, for how funds appropriated by Congress were spent to support religious activities in a major command under the direction of a 4-Star.  I have been awarded the Legion of Merit for my military service.  {If you want to know what a LOM is, look it up.  It is on the Internet.]

Gregory