ClubAdventist is back!

Rome: Train Acident Injuring 110 People

Naomi

• Administrators

ROME (Reuters) - A train on Rome's underground metro system rammed into the back of another at high speed on Tuesday, killing at least one person and injuring 110 others, five seriously, authorities said.

Earlier, officials had said two people had been killed. The difference was apparently due to confusion at the scene.

"About one quarter of the first carriage of the train I was on was totally crushed," one passenger said.

Officials at the scene, the Piazza Vittorio metro station near the main overground rail terminal in the city center, said there was no indication the accident was related to terrorism.

The accident happened when one train arriving at the station crashed into the back of another that was still discharging passengers.

Prime Minister Romano Prodi told Reuters officials were "still looking into whether it was a human mistake or if something went wrong with the signaling."

"The trains were brand new and there is no visible technical fault at the moment. Now let's give our condolences to the casualties and let's stay close to the ones who are in hospital," he said.

Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni said: "When I first heard of it, I was afraid it could be something else," an apparent reference to fears of a terror attack.

The injured, many of them spattered with blood, were taken to six hospitals in or near the city center causing traffic chaos.

"I was on the train that hit the other train. The other was really close. I was right near the front of the train. This is my favorite seat. I saw everything," said Fabiano De Santis, a lawyer.

"I clearly saw a red light then luckily I managed to anticipate the situation because I saw the train before us," he told Reuters Television.

Transport Minister Alessandro Bianchi was to address parliament on the accident later on Tuesday.

A witness said overhead beams of the station collapsed and the lights went out.

"People on our train were saying 'this is a terrorist attack' but later it became clear to all of us that it was an accident," one woman told Sky Italia Television.

Mayor Veltroni's office said he ordered the metro company to carry out an investigation and to include outside experts in its probe.

(Additional reporting by Eleanor Biles, Gabrile Pileri, Deepa Babington, Valentina Consiglio

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

Come on Shane ... He's not guilty of everything :)

Along the same lines, we can blame it on Terrorism, and the current bad guy, Al Quada...Surely, human error is an act of terrorism...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: Naomi

Along the same lines, we can blame it on Terrorism, and the current bad guy, Al Quada...Surely, human error is an act of terrorism...

I have seen some ordinary people (humans??) commit some gross acts of terrorism. (:-