ClubAdventist is back!

Youth Envy

Dr. Shane

Perhaps it is Hollywood or maybe corporate America but a culture that worships youth was created long before I was born.  The question is, what does youth have that is worthy of envy?   Isn't wisdom worth more than attractive young skin and heads full of hair?  I decided long ago to take care of myself so that I might age gracefully and live a long life so that I can be of service to society and God.  I hope my efforts pay off by preventing disease and keeping me mobile longer.  For me the emphasis isn't on my looks but rather on my health. 

Beyond being healthy, I hope to be wise.  I saw an episode of Matlock once where a defendant was assigned a young lawyer and upon meeting him got a little nervous.  When the lawyer asked what was wrong, the defendant responded that he was hoping to get a lawyer with a little more gray hair.  The defendant obviously understood that wisdom is worth more than beauty.  I see myself in the future as being an old, and hopefully, wise man.  My journey now is to grow into that man.  This month I will turn 42, I still have some growing to do.  If I live to be 80, I hope to be twice as wise than as I am now.

First Published on Facebook July 3, 2011

Interesting what has happened in my life since I published that in 2011.  In December of that year my wife asked for a divorce.  The divorce took 3 1/2 years to finalize.  I tried to save the marriage during the first two years of the divorce.  We went to marriage counseling off and on, seeing five different therapists during that time.  A few years after the divorce was final, I went to graduate school which eventually lead to my doctorate in pastoral counseling and work as a chaplain.  I am still on that journey.  I am happy where I am right now.  I have learned to be content.  

Youth really doesn't have anything on age.  I believe, generally, if a person learns how to live a humble life full of acceptance, life only becomes better as they grow older.  People that are prideful and trying to force outcomes in life continue to struggle and tend to grow tired, frustrated, disappointed or discouraged as they grow old.

BTW: this month I will turn 54 and I am still waiting for that gray hair.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity