ClubAdventist is back!

Conscientious Objectors

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Conscientious Objectors:  The news today (June 21, 2024) has reported on two Air Force people who wish to be discharged as Conscientious Objectors (CO).  This has brought back memories, as I was often involved in such military cases.  My function in such was not to tell he Hearing Officer (HO) what the ruling should be.  Rather my function was develop the evidence that the HO would use as a basis for the decision.   My first CO case gave me some national recognition, and during my time as a military chaplain, the HOs rendered decisions that were 100% of the time in compliance with my presentation of the evidence.  My first case, which was in my first tour as a chaplain involved a JW, I developed evidence that supported his application for a CO discharge.  The Commanding General stated that such would never happen as long as he was in command.  He was transferred and the JW was granted the CO Honorable Discharge.  My last case involved a SDA nurse who worked at a military hospital.  She did not want a CO discharge.  She simply wanted to practice her duties in the manner that she thought God wanted her to do them.  Due to my reputation, I was asked to became involved.  At best she was facing the possibility of a criminal conviction, a Bad Conduct discharge, and at worst some prison time.  My intervention resulted in her getting an Honorable Discharge.  That resulted in her telling the Church that I was a servant of Saten because I did not support her desire to practice her clinical duties in the manner that she wanted to perform them.  So, what do I think of the two Air Force people:  They do not meet the legal standard for a CO discharge.  Perhaps (questionable) someone will feel sorry for them and grant their request.  "But I do not consider that to be highly likely.

Gregory