ClubAdventist is back!

White Only Scholarship

Dr. Shane

Whites Only Scholarship Creates Outrage

Quote:
All the media attention is focused on a $250 Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship offered by Mroszczyk and the BU chapter of the College Republicans. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher; they must write two essays; and, here's the kicker, they must be at least one-quarter Caucasian.

The application itself offers an explanation: "We believe that racial preferences in all their forms are perhaps the worst form of bigotry confronting America today."

According to Mroszczyk, his group is offering the scholarship to point out "how ridiculous it is to have any sort of racially based scholarship."

Quote:
"It's a poor way to talk about affirmative action," said David Coreas, the 21-year-old senior who is president of the Latino fraternity Phi Iota Alpha at BU. "If they want to have a scholarship, then let them have a scholarship, but they're stirring up controversy in the wrong way."

..."We have to look at the situation honestly," he said. "Caucasians tend to have a higher per capita income than Latinos and other minorities. We have to have scholarships to survive."

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Race-base scholarships are wrong. I find it ironic in this story that David Coreas has a problem with a white-only scholarship, that one only has to be 25% white to quailfy for, but sees no problem in his Latino fraternity. What a hypocrit!

Ok, let's agree that racial minorities have a lower per capita income. I think that is well established. So why not have means-tested scholarships that are available only to children of the poor? Are racial minorities afraid that poor white students will win all these means-tested scholarships? Do they think they are not smart enough to compete with poor whites? How instulting!

Actually a lot (not all) of the minorities that get these scholarships come from middle class homes where their parents were able to provide them with an environment that encouraged learning. At the same time a lot of poor white students that had to grow up in broken homes and work while in high school to help support the home are denied the opportunity to go to college because their skin is the wrong color.

• Moderators

This is simple.

There were white only "scholarships" for hundreds of years in America until legislation made some steps towards bringing equality to society. All this has happened in my lifetime. You cannot erase decades of savage humiliation and "miseducation" in one generation.

Lets have these scholarships for at least the time that there was a 2 tear education system in America. Thats fair right. Its only a case of seeking to repair the damage.

I love the spirit of Zacheus where he returned FOUR fold what he had stolen. Wow he really gave evidence of how much he appreaciated the forgiveness of Christ.

By the way I'd like to see the source for your assertion that the majority of "those" scholarships go to Middle class families.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Actually it is a myth that poor, white kids got all the scholarships prior to the 1960s. College, for the most part, was for the wealthy and what existed of a middle class. Prior to WW2, not too many poor white kids were able to go to college. After the war, many were able to go to college with the GI Bill. Blacks were also able to go to college with the GI Bill.

Fact is that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because a man goes out and murders another man's children doesn't mean that other man now gets to go and murder the first man's children. That makes no sense. Neither does affirmative action.

The people that have always got less opportunity are the poor. Brown or yellow, black or white, the poor have always got the short end of the stick. If we are going to have an affirmative action program, it should be means-based and not race-based. Raced-baced preferences only make strained race relations more strained.

The attitude of "my grandfather hurt your grandfather so now I get to hurt you" is of no benefit whatsoever.