ClubAdventist is back!

Banker to the Poor gets Nobel Peace prize

Gail

• Administrators

This man gives out loans of about $3.00 to Bangladeshi families to help them start businesses and get working independently. He gave a great speech in Norway. I wish there were more in the world like him- Gail

Dec. 10 - Muhammad Yunus received the Nobel Peace Prize and urged world leaders to get on with the fight against poverty and stop wasting money on wars like the one in Iraq.

Yunus, nicknamed "banker to the poor", and the Grameen Bank that he founded won the peace prize for their work to lift millions out of poverty by granting tiny loans to the poor, especially women in rural Bangladesh.

The first Bangladeshi peace laureate said in his acceptance speech that "poverty is a threat to peace", declaring it possible to create a world free of need and relegate poverty to museums.

Yunus and Grameen Bank's representative Mosammat Taslima Begum received gold medals and diplomas at the ceremony at Oslo's City Hall to applause from about 1,000 guests, including King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway.

The prize created by the Swedish philanthropist Alfred Nobel comes with a cheque for 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.47 million) to be shared by the winners.

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved.

Banker to the Poor

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:
"poverty is a threat to peace"

Perhaps the reason Jesus said we would always have war is related to the fact He said we would always have poverty. Poverty causes war which causes more poverty which causes more war.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

Yes, if you have people who are "have-nots" they really have nothing to lose. All you need is a strong leader

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Just heard from my boy that he is going to see this man on the 20th of this month (April). He is a good friend of my son's professor. He said that the two of them used to discuss these monetary ideas together over coffee.

My son has a new job with World Relief, and it will be his task to oversee the microfinancing (mini-banking) with that company in their overseas offices.

He said that the concept is huge now!

He has an interesting life!!