ClubAdventist is back!

Thoughts on prayer...

Aliensanctuary

Quote:
A prophecy of Isaiah:

Isaiah 30 NLT

19 O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. He will be gracious if you ask for help. He will respond instantly to the sound of your cries.

20 Though the Lord gave you adversity for food and affliction for drink, he will still be with you to teach you. You will see your teacher with your own eyes,

NKJ

21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

Our prayers today are one-sided: we're doing all of the talking because we can't hear the LORD's voice. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be, for now. Maybe we're not doing something right. Our prayers for others are heard, though, and properly recorded in our life records.

To pray for someone's healing is a noble thing, since we are generally powerless in the face of death. The best we can do for now is to alleviate suffering, if possible, and comfort the sick and dying with hope for the future life.

Jesus did tell us to pray in secret, not in public. Public prayers can go on and on and sometimes turn into sermons. We shouldn't pray in public if he told us not to.

Because we are connected to God via our spirit, he already knows what we need before we ask him. There's nothing about us he doesn't know, and therefore, there's nothing we can hide from him. He is well aware of our feelings of helplessness when facing terminal illness and rebellion in our loved ones.

In the future life, the LORD will communicate with us as he did with Jesus while he was on Earth. We will ask, and we will hear his answer in our ears.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Quote:
Jesus did tell us to pray in secret, not in public.

Quote:
We shouldn't pray in public if he told us not to.

Where is it said to not pray in public? This is a new one on me. I hope you can cite scriptural evidence for your comment.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

You are right in one aspect ... prayer is a very personal matter. But I am not sure there is anything wrong with public prayer.

Prayers to God should be mostly for one purpose ... and that is to enrich our spiritual lives. We should pray for spiritual healing. I don't think that physical healing is all that important in this life. We will soon enough have new bodies. These old sin wretched bodies of ours are of little importance.

What the promises of God are for is for our spiritual healing. He promises to provide every opportunity for us to be drawn to Him. And we can claim those promises.

He does know all of our spiritual needs before we ask. But I think it is healthy for us to verbalize our spiritual needs. And I think He likes to hear that.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Wasn't the prayers that Jesus condemned those that were loud, showy ones done in order for others to see? That was the reason He told us to do it in secret

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Public prayer doesn't have to be showy. It can be incredibly heart-felt and meaningful to the audience. I have heard many such prayers and I am sure the Lord wouldn't condem them but would be pleased that such prayers have touched the hearts of the listeners as well as being directed at God.

Secret prayer also has it's place, where one can unburden their hearts to God in a way you couldn't do in public simply because you wouldn't want everyone to know all those details about your life. Also you pray in private so there are no distractions for you to hear from God in the quietness of your heart when you are done praying.

They are not mutually exclusive. They are both an intricate part of worship...at least that is my 2 cents.

No longer do I like to pray in public.

I used to go to prayer meeting and be disappointed that we barely had time for prayer, because we were having another study maybe even on prayer! (You know how Adventist are about studying! :) )

Now at a prayer meeting, I hope that they don't expect or ask me to pray. Is something wrong with me?

My private prayers are mostly without words. Just listening for a still small voice. A voice that is quiet but intensely loving.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

No, there is nothing wrong with you. Perhaps your retisence goes with your personality. God made you so he understands what you are comfortable with and why. If you met a shy person for the first time... you would not instantly go up and hug them, swirl them around in circles and invite them out with your friends to a party at the beach, now would you? Well God knows your personality as well...and he doesn't want to overwhelm you nor does he expect you to be someone you are not.

Quote:
NKJ

Matt 6

5. "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

6. "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

7. "But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

8. "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

Thanks for the good answers.

As I see it, our prayers on Earth are training for some sort of communication with God in the next life, whether it’s telepathic, or something else, maybe one of the functions of the golden wreaths (crowns) everyone will wear. Here, in private, we can tell God our needs and we can ask him which way we should go. Although we can't hear his voice behind us, he has heard our voice and our thoughts and it becomes part of our life record.

When we do enter his Kingdom, we already have this experience, and we will not have to spend so much time learning how to communicate with God throughout our work day. Maybe this is how we will learn new tasks and keep God informed of our completed work.

I don't believe our public prayers have much to do with this scenario of communicating with God in order to know what to do. Prayer should be kind of a one-on-one thing. I sometimes suspect the worst hypocrites among us are standing up in front of the church speaking their sometimes grandiose prayers into a microphone. Perhaps a moment or two of silent prayer would be far more effective…

Maybe some receive something from public prayers, but to me it's more of a performance, especially when some wax eloquent and preach sermons during their long prayers. I just don’t think that’s what prayer is supposed to be.

I don't think Jesus prayed very much at all in public. His prayers all seem to be very private, except for one or two exceptions to teach us how to pray. It is important that we pray for the health and wellbeing of others, and not for financial gain or stuff for ourselves, or any other selfish pursuit not related to helping others or our own survival.

I've often wondered what Jesus prayed about when he went alone into the hills. I think at these times he talked to Messengers from God face-to-face who told him what to do. This reinforced his belief in his mission to save the world, or, at least, to save those who have done what God wanted them to do, which is to be good servants of God.

What about praying to God to bless our food. If he has given it to us ... isn't it blessed? Is there some need for this public prayer or is it simply tradition? If it was offered to idols then it may need to be blessed. I just don't know. What think ye?

I must say that I have never liked having someone speak for me and public prayer seems to be like that.

I believe in Hematology.

Interesting idea Redwood about blessing the food. I think we do it because Jesus thanked his father at the feeding of the 5,000, right? Or am I not remembering correctly? I think it is just a thank you prayer for the gift we have in not going hungry and having something to eat. Maybe that is what is meant by having an attitude of "constant prayer" because there is so much in our lives to be thankful for, not just food.

Quote:
Well God knows your personality as well...and he doesn't want to overwhelm you nor does he expect you to be someone you are not.

Thank you for your explanation. It seems to me that God only asks us to do what we a comfortable doing. Although sometimes it doesn't seem comfortable until we try it. But public prayer on my part doesn't seem authentic, it seems to be a ritual that is expected. A performance. I'm speaking only for myself.

Quote:
Maybe that is what is meant by having an attitude of "constant prayer" because there is so much in our lives to be thankful for, not just food.

There is a sermon by Paul Tillich that your comment brings to my mind. In Everything Give Thanks. In it he speaks of an attitude of silent gratitude as being prayer. Here is a quote from it:

The abundance of a grateful heart gives honor to God even if it does not turn to Him in words.... ...rejoicing is a spontaneous obedience to the exhortation of our text - "Rejoice always!" It is then possible to understand our text when it says- "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in everything!" It certainly does not mean - "never feel sorrow, day and night use words of prayer and thanks!" Jesus characterizes this way of imposing oneself on God as a perversion of religion. Then what do these exhortations mean? They mean just what we called the state of silent gratefulness that may or may not express itself in prayers. - Paul Tillich, in Chapter 16 of The Eternal Now

That sermon was really a help to me when I began to feel that so many words in my prayers were superfluous. It could be made into a nice sermon for the Thanksgiving season. You can read the entire sermon online here:

http://www.religion-online.org/showchapter.asp?title=1630&C=1612

~d.allan

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Quote:
Isa 30 NKJ

21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

We could wonder what they will be doing at the time directions are spoken to the People of Zion, living in the Jerusalem of the future. Is Jerusalem so big that they could get lost without a guide?