ClubAdventist is back!

Why are right-wingers so nasty?

lazarus

• Moderators

Why are so many on the right so nasty? Why are people like coulter, hannity, limbaugh, savage, beck, levin, so mean. Is it simply a by product of the ideaology that they espouse. I can't think of left or center-left commentators who are so down-right mean.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/04/coulter.edwards/index.html

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• lazarus

• Bravus

• jasd

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Laz ... Let's be consistant here.

A few weeks back it was determined that we can not judge what the intent of a word was unless we ask the author of the word.

It seems you are making a judgment about the meaning of the word Coulter used that might not be valid.

Lets go back to the word 'Gring o' which was deemed just fine to call other CA members. This word was defined by the dictionary as Hostile and offensive. The word that Coulter used is described as SOMETIMES being disparaging depending upon the intent.

If we apply the rules of CA here and look up the other possible meaning of the word COULTER used ... then we may find that it was totally innocent and that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill ... just as I was accused of doing.

According to Websters ... the word used can mean " a person who does menial, distasteful, dull or hard work." Also ..." a person who works in a routine, unimaginative way"

I think it is fairly accurate to describe Edwards as one who does things in a routine and unimaginative way.

I am surprised at your over reaction to name calling. On one hand ... the word described in the dictionary as HOSTILE seems just fine to be used on CA members.... but when someone in the media uses a word to describe a person as unimaginative ... then you object.

Just can't figure.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

C'mon, Redwood. You mean to say you think Gringo and Faggot are words of equal offensiveness?!

Where you been, man? The world does not interpret those two words equal in venom.

I agree about Coulter. She is so totally offensive that I fail to see how anyone, even Republicans, could laugh at her dirty jokes. Her motive is sensationalism, pure and simple.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

I see nastiness used by people at both extremes, not just on the right. Of course, since I am a moderate, perhaps I am better able to see this on both sides then a liberal would be able to see it on the left or a conservative see it on the right.

Ann Coulter has gained her fame by feeding red meat to the conservative extreme. She does it because it has gained her fame and wealth.

I contribute these types of remarks to the person's lack of a relationship with Christ. People that are in a good relationship with Christ do not call others fagots, racial slurs, stupid, incompetent or liars.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Why are so many on the right so nasty? Why are people like coulter, hannity, limbaugh, savage, beck, levin, so mean. Is it simply a by product of the ideaology that they espouse. I can't think of left or center-left commentators who are so down-right mean.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/04/coulter.edwards/index.html

Wow-- if you think these people are mean, go back and read political commentators from before, such as those living during Lincoln's day or even during the 1950s and 1960s. Folks should have a right to say what they please even if it offends others. And they better not run for political office if being called a faggot is going to disturb them a lot. I personally don't call people names but I can't expect everyone to follow my personal standards of morality.

I've watched Coulter, Hannity, et al, and listened to Rush for a long time and I think they're a riot; not that I agree with everything they say, mind you, but I've never heard them say anything on TV or the radio that I would consider "over the top." I don't consider calling Edwards "a faggot" as over the top in the rough-and-tumble world of national politics.

Anyone here remember 1968? Now, that was "over the top." Shows that in politics everything is relative.

Next thing you know lawyers will make a law so a man can't even spit or whatever. Come to think of it, they already got a law about that don't they.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Jeannie ... you miss the point.

The point is ... do we judge by the meaning that we personally place on the word ... or do we place the meaning that the author intended.

In the case of Gringo ... the rule was that it did not matter that the Dictionary said it was Hostile. The only thing that mattered was the intention the author "claimed".

Do we apply the same definition to the word that Coulter used? Have you asked her what the intended definition was? OR Have we jumped to a conclusion that I was not allowed to jump to? (When I interpreted the meaning as what the Dictionary said)

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
I contribute these types of remarks to the person's lack of a relationship with Christ. People that are in a good relationship with Christ do not call others fagots, racial slurs, stupid, incompetent or liars.

I find this Very Interesting.

I believe in Hematology.

Lyle Hellman called me a faggot in 1975. I didn't mind, since he was a greasy, smelly, lazy, good for nothing hippie :) . There's too much sensitivity these days.

Everybody's running around griping about this atrocity, and that atrocity... It's past time that people grew up and stopped whining. Just my opinion from down on the farm,

olger

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

People that are in a good relationship with Christ do not call others fagots, racial slurs, stupid, incompetent or liars.

I agree with you. However, sometimes it's necessary to tell someone that they lied and that they have a pattern of lying. That's how I put it at my work. But I never use any of the other names, not any more.

The kids I work with call anyone a faggot who is nice and kind and polite. They pefer to be yelled at and cursed, because that is what they are used to. If you were to say, "Would you please not do that?" they'd just laugh at you and think you didn't mean what you said. They only hear and pay attention to you if you call them a name and use about half a dozen bad words with it. As a result, it took me about six months after coming onto my present unit before they understood that they better listen to me even if I don't scream and call them foul names. We're not supposed to do that but most staff do it anyway because it's the easiest way to get their attention.

In my experiences I've run across quite a few people who seem to only respect and like people who treat them badly.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Quote:
The kids I work with call anyone a faggot who is nice and kind and polite.

See ... this is just like any word that the Dictionary calls Hostile. We can ALWAYS find someone who views the word as Kind and loving.

Why don't we just throw the Dictionary away. It really has not impact on our lives.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Quote:
The kids I work with call anyone a faggot who is nice and kind and polite.

See ... this is just like any word that the Dictionary calls Hostile. We can ALWAYS find someone who views the word as Kind and loving.

Why don't we just throw the Dictionary away. It really has not impact on our lives.

Maybe you misunderstood my meaning. I mean that the kids think only gays are nice and kind and polite. Because of their experiences on the streets, they consider kindness and thoughtfulness and politeness as affeminate/female characteristics. These kids are used to a man who calls them bad names and yells at them. Many of them actually prefer to be treated that way. They think that you are then treating them like a man; that it's the way a real man does things. Also if you like to read they tend to think you must be a faggot. They have lots of misconceptions like that.

It's strange because I'm actually gay in my orientation although I don't act it out any more, but instead of calling me faggot, the kids call a fellow worker that name even though he's not gay at all. I tell them, "Even if someone is gay here, you still need to show respect for them and do what they tell you." Most only listen to that kind of talk when they are written up and lose status and privilages for disrespecting staff.

Quote:
sometimes it's necessary to tell someone that they lied and that they have a pattern of lying. That's how I put it at my work.

Calling someone a liar is inflammatory. Perhaps even more so when it is true. If I call someone a liar, I am likely to cause them to switch into a defensive mode where it will be harder for me to reach them. I would think it much better to tell them they have issues with not tell the truth. However that is when talking to someone directly.

Most often the word liar is used when talking about someone when they are not present to defend themselves. It is an insult and inflammatory. I would think most Christians would choose words like misleading or dishonest rather than using such an emotionally-charged, inflammatory word.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Gay used to be a good word. Rainbows used to be a good thing, too. It's just like the enemy...

olger

• Moderators

I see nastiness used by people at both extremes, not just on the right.

Please Shane, give me a quote from lets say three left of center commentators that you would consider nasty.

BTW, there is no way you are a moderate...thats simply bizzare, :duno although I have detected a moderation in you attitude on some things over the short time I've been here.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

It seems you are making a judgment about the meaning of the word Coulter used that might not be valid.

Do you smoke weed????

Einstein

Originally Posted By: Redwood

Do you smoke weed????

So you're a pastor? What conference, my friend?

olger

Quote:
Do you smoke weed????

No. But I can read the Dictionary. And in the previous post of mine I quoted some meanings that she might have meant.

According to the rules of CA ... we are suppose to ask the person who used the term ... what definition they meant.

OR Have you changed your mind about this?

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

No. But I can read the Dictionary. And in the previous post of mine I quoted some meanings that she might have meant.

sigh....Redwood!!! come on...

Einstein

• Moderators

Please note that I've already said on this point that I wish Shane would apologise so we can get past it. I still wish that, but it's his call.

Something just occurred to me though: Redwood consulted an English dictionary, but Shane wasn't writing English in the disputed sentence but Spanish (i.e. the whole sentence was in Spanish). So the English dictionary is probably not the definitive source... (since dictionaries seem to have taken on such a totemic significance in this debate).

Anyway, as you were.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: lazarus

Do you smoke weed????

So you're a pastor? What conference' date=' my friend?

olger [/quote']

Are you really interested in where I work or do you have a comment about the question I asked Redwood?

Einstein

• Moderators

Leave aside the specific word Coulter used. Is it true that the level of vitriol from right wing commentators is rougher than from those on the left? I think even the far left like Noam Chomsky is much more likely to attack policies than people, but I accept Shane's point that, being on the left myself, I may be blinded to excesses on 'my side'. Some concrete examples would be handy, though.

Truth is important

• Moderators

(days like these I'm glad I'm not longer the moderator of Town Hall... I read olger's post as a threat to laz's employment. could be mistaken and hope I am.)

Truth is important

• Moderators

(days like these I'm glad I'm not longer the moderator of Town Hall... I read olger's post as a threat to laz's employment. could be mistaken and hope I am.)

In case anyone wonders why I post under the name Lazarus. You can see why.

Einstein

Hi Bravus. That is revealing. Suffice it to say that you misunderstood my question.

regards,

olger