ClubAdventist is back!

Sarkozy Wins French Election

Dr. Shane

• Moderators

Shane, have you read the LA times article? Do you know the context/content?

Savage: When I said one of the best satarists, please, please I'm not comparig him to the literary greats - just the right wing talk show greats!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

right wing talk show greats

Oxymoron

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
have you read the LA times article? Do you know the context/content?

Obama the 'Magic Negro'

Quote:
The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man...

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

...the only mud that momentarily stuck was criticism (white and black alike) concerning Obama's alleged "inauthenticty," as compared to such sterling examples of "genuine" blackness as Al Sharpton and Snoop Dogg. Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
How many know that Rush Limbaugh's now famous "Barak the Magic Negro" was taken from the LA Times?

I see my question went ignored. ignore

Some people decide what they want to believe, dig their heels in and defend it at all costs. Sadly, this includes many Adventists, who claim to be lovers of the truth. We criticize others for not seeing the light on such things as the Sabbath and the state of the dead and yet on many issues we bury our heads in the sand ourselves.

As an adult, I have went from supporting the abolishment of the IRS to supporting the flat tax to now supporting the elevated tax scale. On abortion I have went from a strictly pro-life position of supporting a ban on all abortions except for incest, rape and to save the life of the mother to supporting legal abortions with various restrictions on it. I have went for a protectionist position to a free trade position. I simply refuse to ride some band wagon.

Now some may say that is flip-flopping. And they would be right. Flip-flopping is done for one of two reasons. The first if for political reasons to gain more power. Obviously that doesn't apply to me since I do not hold a political position. The second is for reasons of personal convictions which is why character matters so much when electing a politician.

• Moderators

Quote:
How many know that Rush Limbaugh's now famous "Barak the Magic Negro" was taken from the LA Times?

I see my question went ignored. :ignore

Its was not answered by me for different reasons than you may think. My guess was that it was a rhetorical question.

The article was a serious article. Its essentially about how Obama's popularity comes as a result of him making white people feel comfortable and safe. Jackson et.al make white folks feel uncomfortable in the same way MLK made white folks feel uncomfortable.

Some here on CA are uncomfortable when I bring up the issue of race in the way I do. I makes them uncomfortable and angry. Actually some simply don't understand it.

I read the article and was't offended by the use of the phrase because of the context and the content. Limbaugh doesn't agree with the premise of the article which is OK but seeks to ridicule Obama with the phrase with the phrase Magic Negro and tries to deflect his racism by saying it was used first somehwere else.

Quote:
Some people decide what they want to believe, dig their heels in and defend it at all costs. Sadly, this includes many Adventists, who claim to be lovers of the truth. We criticize others for not seeing the light on such things as the Sabbath and the state of the dead and yet on many issues we bury our heads in the sand ourselves.

OK.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Actually, Limbaugh is not trying to criticize Obama, he is trying to criticize the mainstream media and Reverend Sharpton. Listen to the jingle again with that in mind.

To me it seemed the article was saying that most white people are racists and will not vote for a black man unless he is a "magic negro". Rush is not going to admit that most white people are racist. I, on the other hand will admit that most everyone that lives in a diverse culture has issues with diversity, be it racism, sexism or something related. It is only when a person is truly converted that he can see others as Christ sees them. While I am sympathetic to the racism minorities have to deal with, it can become crutches for them to excuse bad behavior on their part.

Shane ... very well said.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Actually, Limbaugh is not trying to criticize Obama, he is trying to criticize the mainstream media and Reverend Sharpton. Listen to the jingle again with that in mind.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I have been listening to Limbuagh's program off and on for 15 years. A lot of SPIN comes out of his show and because I get my news from various sources I can normally pick up on it quickly. However ever since I first started listening to him his biggest theme has been an attack on the mainstream media. That is a much bigger target than any single individual. So I think anyone that believes the "Barak The Magic Negro" song is much more than an attack on the mainstream media really doesn't understand Limbaugh.

Now I see some disturbing hints of racism and class envy here:

Quote:
Sort of like rednecks cruising family reunions for possible spouses...

They need to go see some poor white trash republicans....Ooh, sorry, that's an oxymoron and doesn't exist...

I have never been called a "redneck" in an endearing way. That is pretty much like the "N" word. Rednecks can call each other rednecks but when it comes from outside the community it is not well received.

Now I was raised as poor white trash so that racist slur really hits close to home. Although I was poor, I had ambitions. From the time I started studying economics in high school, I embraced supply-side economics, even though I was being raised in a trailer court by a single mother as poor white trash.

Perhaps it is time some of those racist stereotypes get looked at again.

• Moderators

I didn't say criticise. I used the word ridicule which is quote different. Repeating the phrase in connection with Obama is indirect riducule. This is his stock in trade. It his way of doing satire. Not very sophisticated but nevertheless.

Its not really about racism its about white fear. Most white people are afriad of black people. I don't mean in the immediate sense of the word. I mean a white daughter bringing home a black boyfiend. Black doctors, Black pastors. Fear that black people will put them on the defensive. white folks aren't not generally comfortable with black people being in authority over them. Obama is the non threatening type of black man.

Einstein

• Moderators

So I think anyone that believes the "Barak The Magic Negro" song is much more than an attack on the mainstream media really doesn't understand Limbaugh.

Limbaugh has made his name by ridiculing. Anyone who he disagrees with he attacks personally. He is an entertainer primarily. He wouldn't be so sucessfull if his audience didn't like the face that his humour appeals to all of their prejudices, racist or otherwise.

There is place in the public discourse for satire. To me, Limbaugh crosses the line too many times. I guess he has reaped some of what he has sown over the years.

I suspect Hannity will have his issues sooner or later.

Einstein

I am not sure how much Limbaugh's critics actually listen to Limbaugh. I think there are some major generalizations being made here about white people and specifically about Limbaugh's audience.

I have worked under both Black and Hispanic bosses and had no problem at all. The Black and Hispanics that "white" people are afraid of would be the type that Black and Hispanics themselves would be afraid of too. When I get a new job and am introduced to by Black or other minority boss, why would I have a problem with that?

Limbaugh does make personal attacks - no doubt. His obsession with Clinton can be compared to the animosity we see in the anti-Bush folks. That being said, many of his critics don't listen to him enough to judge what he says in context. Many read something about him and start repeating the information they got second-hand.