ClubAdventist is back!

ADJOURN SEX TRIALS, SAYS CHURCH

Stan

ADJOURN SEX TRIALS, SAYS CHURCH

AUCKLAND - A leading member of the US-based Seventh Day Adventist Church called yesterday for the immediate adjournment of a series of sex trials on the remote British Pacific colony of Pitcairn Island.

The trials, in which seven men face 96 separate charges under Britain's Sexual Offences Act, start on Monday.

The church spokesman said British police officers who investigated the alleged crimes had acted improperly and that Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office had refused to study alternatives to the trials. -- AFP source

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

Stan:

This news item may or may not be true. It is totally not documented, and is without foundation. No name or source is cited, so it can not be checked. Who is the "leading member" of the SDA Chruch? We do not know as that person is not named.

I have spent the last 30 minutes attempting to obtain documentation. There is none. There is none on the cite you gave us. There is non on the Internet.

Is it true? Perhaps. But it is not documented. Without documentation we need to be critical of it.

Gregory

• Moderators

One other point in regard to improper actions of British police:

That issue has been raised in court by the defendents. The court has denied the defendents claim, and has ordered the trial to go forward. Does the so-call leading member now raise claims that the defendents never raised? If so, why were they not previously raised? These so-called imporper actions are not even listed. We can not judge them for accuracy.

Gregory

There was a name mentioned on a previous news release about a week earlier. I am out of town right now and will do more research when I have a dsl connections.

I would support this action, but what is missed, is that most aboriginal-type people, have some sort of effective court sytem within their organization, european style courts are not always the most effective. Some issues should be dealt with by the community, and I do realize that they do not always get it right, but neither does the western style of court system.

• Moderators

This is from today's Sydney Morning Herald. I have not seen the reports quoted above but I have not been following every link. There had been an SDA minister usually with a wife who was a nurse posted on Pitcairn for many years. A friend of mine returned from there about 2 years ago, quite sickened by all that had gone on. (Although he did not discuss details). I do not know whether he was replaced by another minister.

Pitcairn women speak out over sex trials

September 29, 2004

Page Tools

Email to a friend Printer format

As the start of a string of sex-abuse trials was delayed on Pitcairn for two days, a group of women today claimed that under-age sex was a tradition on this tiny Pacific island.

The women held a news conference and rallied behind the seven charged men, saying consensual sex for girls as young as 12 was part of island life.

"I knew what I was doing," said Meralda Warren, who admitted losing her virginity at young age.

"To me there has never been rape on the island that I know of," she said.

The woman claimed the cases have been blown out of proportion and even that the alleged victims now in New Zealand may have been coerced into agreeing to testify via video links.

Some accused authorities in London of trying to kill off the community on Pitcairn, a speck of volcanic rock midway between New Zealand and Peru and Britain's last dependent territory in the Pacific.

The accused men face dozens of sex charges, some dating back 40 years. They could be sentenced to lengthy prison terms if convicted in trials expected to last up to six weeks.

The trials, to be held under British law, had been scheduled to get under way today. However, the start was delayed until tomorrow (Wednesday), a spokesman said.

"I don't know if there's specifically any reason for it other than in the court's judgment the parties may not have been quite ready," said Bryan Nicholson, a spokesman for the British High Commission in Wellington.

Some islanders fear a guilty verdict could threaten their community's survival on the island.

The size and complexity of the case is unprecedented on Pitcairn. The arrival of three judges, prosecutors, defence lawyers and reporters has almost doubled the island's population.

Most witnesses are expected to give evidence via a video link from New Zealand, which is now home to many people who have left behind the isolated island life.

Just getting to Pitcairn, which has no port or landing strip for aircraft, is a major challenge. Once on the island, people get around using all-terrain quad bikes because the only roads are dirt tracks.

The Pitcairn Islands are a group of five rocky outcrops - only the largest of which is inhabited. Their combined area is 47 square kilometres. They are 14,885 kilometres from Britain.

Many in the tiny population are descended from the mutineers on the British navy ship HMS Bounty who arrived there in 1790.

They eke out a living by selling postage stamps to collectors and handicrafts to tourists on passing cruise liners.

Now the island is a hive of activity as lawyers set up the unusual court - run on British laws and staffed by New Zealanders.

The defendants had a chance to head off trials at a pre-trial hearing last week, but refused to plead guilty when offered the chance - a move that would have cut any sentence they might face.

Some islanders argue that if the men are convicted and imprisoned the tiny community will lose its ability to crew longboats that bring essential supplies to the island, threatening the population's existence.

At earlier hearings, defence lawyers argued that whatever ties Pitcairn had with Britain were severed when the mutineers burned and sank the Bounty soon after they arrived on the previously uninhabited island.

That argument was rejected, allowing the trials to go ahead.

The case started in 1999 when an islander complained to a visiting British policewoman that she had been sexually abused.

Since then, new laws including a child protection act have been passed and police and social workers have been sent to the island.

Australian Associated Press in Auckland reported that Pitcairn's governor Richard Pell today asked the New Zealand High Court to stop the release of a raft of sensitive documents on the sex abuse cases.

Fell, who is also the British High Commissioner to New Zealand, believed the publication of the documents ahead of the hearings could cause anxiety for the islanders.

AP/AAP

A LEADING member of the US-based Seventh Day Adventist Church called today for the immediate adjournment of a series of sex trials on the remote British Pacific colony of Pitcairn Island.

The trials, in which seven men face 96 separate charges under Britain's Sexual Offences Act, start Monday on Pitcairn, a 50-strong community founded in 1790 by Fletcher Christian, leader of the infamous Mutiny on HMS Bounty.

The Seventh Day Adventist Church has been the majority faith on the island since 1890 and its Pacific Union College in San Francisco hosts a Pitcairn Island Study Centre headed by former missionary Herbert Ford.

"There has been so much irregularity, so much seeming pre-agreement toward a given conclusion, so much that smacks of possible illegality demonstrated in documented form, that any trial conducted before these very serious matters are carefully studied and resolved would be a gross miscarriage of justice," Mr Ford said in a statement today.

He said British police officers who investigated the alleged crimes had acted improperly and that Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) had refused to study alternatives to the trials.

"The Pitcairn trial as presently being pursued, in addition to the possible incarcerating of individuals, has the potential to destroy an entire indigenous people group and in written form (the FCO) has said it doesn't matter if that happens," Mr Ford said.

"Already the United Kingdom's open-to-the-entire-world, dogged pursuit of a traditional destroying courtroom trial has wreaked irreparable harm to the fragile fabric of Pitcairn society."

Pitcairn Island Chief Justice Charles Blackie and two other judges, Jane Lovell-Smith and Russell Johnson - all New Zealand District Court or lower court judges - arrived this week on Pitcairn, a rocky, forest-clad five-square kilometre island 2160km south-east of Tahiti.

The seven accused face a variety of allegations stemming from a complaint laid in 1999 by a Pitcairn woman.

Pitcairn was uninhabited until Christian's mutiny on April 28, 1789, against Captain William Bligh, who was set adrift.

Eight mutineers along with six Tahitian men, 12 Tahitian women and a small girl then searched the South Seas for a haven, reaching uninhabited Pitcairn on January 15, 1790, where they remained undiscovered until 1808.

The Seventh Day Adventist Church was founded in New Hampshire, USA, in 1844. Its beliefs are similar to the Methodist and Baptist faiths.

The church claims around 14 million members worldwide with around 100,000 in the South Pacific.

Source

• Moderators

Now we have a name that we can check.

Let us say that it is true. At this time, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, Herb Ford is retired, and therefore can not be said to represent the SDA Chruch. HE is simply a well-known SDA author who has s pecialized in Pitcarin Island issues.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Here is a recent post in the METCLAPH'S BLOG:

"Guilty Plea in Pitcarin Trial

Dennis Christian, a defendant in the Pitcairn Island sex abuse trials, has changed his plea from innocent to guilty. While commendable in and of itself, the decision knocks a huge hole in the arguments of some Pitcairn Islanders and their apologists that what went on was perfectly natural. If they had really believed that then why did they convict Ricky Quinn for such offences in 1999?

posted by Peter Metcalfe at 7:26 PM 0 comments"

Gregory

• Moderators

Here is the latest:

"Print Email

Last Update: Monday, October 18, 2004. 6:38pm (AEST)

Pitcairn accused to remain free for months

There has been a surprise twist in the sex abuse trials now under way on the tiny Pitcairn Island, in the Pacific.

All the seven accused will remain free at least until the New Year.

The seven Pitcairn men are being tried on a range of rape and sexual assault charges.

The court is due to deliver its verdicts next week but has already said it can not send any of the men to jail before another court hearing.

That matter is to be heard in Auckland next year and will decide if Britain failed to publicise or police its laws on Pitcairn.

Prison wardens from New Zealand were about to leave for Pitcairn in case any of the men were sentenced to jail.

They have now been told to stay at home for at least a few months."

Also, a second person has pled guilty to some charges.

Gregory

• Moderators

The news media has reported the six men have been convicted, and sentencing will probably take place tomorrow.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

Great, now we have a "leading member" of the Adventist church in the South Pacific essentially defending under-age sex as "natural." That's just pathetic and sad.

No wonder people tend to assume the worst in cases like this.

Larry

• 1 year later...

Quote:

Anonymous said:

Great, now we have a "leading member" of the Adventist church in the South Pacific essentially defending under-age sex as "natural." That's just pathetic and sad.

No wonder people tend to assume the worst in cases like this.

Larry

I just came accross this discussion, and then I note that this trial is not over yet. There is a new one set for July 2006 whish, as far as I can determine, is mainly concerned with the question if Britain has jurisdiction over this island or not. It seems grotesque that British judges are trying cases on this remote island of what happened there 30 years ago.

I recall that while World War II was still being fought elsewhere, and I was a young boy in Iceland, I started corresponding with the Australian school teacher on Pitcairn. I remember him telling me that Pitcairn was not quite the utopian paradise I had pictured, judging from the mission stories I had heard.

Now my question is, Who is to be judged? The individual who had not been taught what Christian morals are - or the Church which baptized these people without training them to live by a higher Christian standard than what their crude ancestors had taught them? Who is that British judge who makes that judgment in a place where British culture and education has been absent?

• Moderators

What happened on the island just illustrates the fact that just because people are called SDA doesn't mean they are practicing and believing Christian SDAs in accordance with the Bible and with the Spirit of Prophecy. It also illustrates the fact that too many people are baptized in the church without having a firm foundation in the truth as it is in Jesus and without giving evidence that they truly believe this truth. We're too often baptizing the dead and that is no doubt part of Satan's plan to populate the church with his followers rather than with disciples and followers of Jesus Christ.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

...or alternatively it illustrates that despite our best efforts to create the illusion of being a unique and peculiar people, fundamentally we are really no different than any other group of Christians. Part of that illusion is that because we have a few different doctrines and beliefs that those beliefs are what should make us better behaved people with higher morals that would translate into improved human interaction and relationships. Actually, none of the Adventist distinctive beliefs really directly impact moral character anyway; the character formative beliefs are generally what we hold in common with most all other religions.

tomato.gif

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I guess I haven't met this group of people that believe Adventists are morally supieor. I have met a lot of judgemental Adventists but I have met a lot of judgmental Lutherans, Baptists and Pentecostals too.

I think this just shows that the wheat and the tares will grow together until the harvest.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity