ClubAdventist is back!

Bill Gates no longer the richest man

lazarus

• Moderators

Microsoft founder Bill Gates looks to have lost his title as the world's richest man, toppled from top spot by the Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2117330,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=24

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Aha, a Mexican surpassing an American in money matters! Tbat explains why the American Congress didn't pass the new immigration bill. . . They were afraid of something. . .

As an American ... I resent that.

We can stand on our own two feet.

(Just so our shoes have been polished by an immigrant.)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I resent that as an immigrant

Polish your own shoes!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Lazarus. . . somehow I think the earth will keep spinning on its axis. . . . somehow I don't think that Bill Gates really cares. . . . and wouldn't it be nice if the gentleman from Mexico would create some jobs that pay so that his own people don't have to come here illegally to support their families.

Proverbs 15:15

He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.

Polish your own shoes!

Now Laz ... that is not very charitable of you. Those immigrants NEED those jobs. I HOPE you are proposing that we send those shoe polishers back to where they came from.

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: lazarus

Polish your own shoes!

Now Laz ... that is not very charitable of you. Those immigrants NEED those jobs. I HOPE you are proposing that we send those shoe polishers back to where they came from.

Oh I DO hope you were not slaming Hispanics or Blacks with this comment. As it stands, alone, it strikes me as an extreemly racial comment. And that is because of my background...You see, I have only seen blacks as shoe polishers....or at least, I recall only blacks as shoe polishers.... Even of my travels the last 6 months, to Portland Ore, and Nashville and of late, Savannah Georgia.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Neil. . . . I think you have read the intent well. . . . I look at comments like th at the same way I look at dirty jokes. . . . I choose not to respond in any way.

Proverbs 15:15

He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.

I should point out that at one time ... I to was an immigrant.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
I should point out that at one time ... I too was an immigrant.

But I would be remiss if I left this statement unchallenged and did not ask for clarification.

While I hope I am not prejudiced, I realize that I carry a few prejudical bias. All people do....As such, I realized that my experience may be slanted, biased, or just plain poor observation on my part. So, when you say-

Originally Posted By: Lazurus

Polish your own shoes!

What comes accross to me, and I am limiting this observations to myself, is a propensity to imply that only the Blacks [who are generally NOT immigrants] are able/allowed to polish shoes. And that they are the only ones, besides Hispanics, that are able to get those types of jobs.

I do hope that irony or sarcastic wit is being exhibited because this post has double meaning...and clarification of which meaning is in order....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I am not biased. What I was saying is that ALL immigrants need jobs when they come to this country. And I would hope we would not send them home just because they perform a "lowly" job.

I never used the term 'blacks'. That was your bias and stereo typing. I've had my shoes polished at a shoe stand only once ... so I am not a good authority on the ethnicity of shoe polishers.

I believe in Hematology.

Thank you for the clarification...

George Bernard Shaw

I should clarify further ...

Hope I am not putting myself down in your opinion with this statement. BUT ...

If the immigrant is ILLEGAL ... then I do believe he should be kicked out. We are a land of laws. And I think our immigration laws should either be obeyed +/or changed. It would not be fair to the immigrants who came here legally to not have consequences for "cutting" the line.

I should explain that I do not consider an illegal immigrant to be an "immigrant". He is a stow away ... a criminal. He is trying to take our benefits of which he does not deserve. I should point out that when I immigrated ... I did so following the laws of the land.

Having said all of that ... as a Christian ... I feel it my duty to help all those who are in need. That is why when I go to our church's "soup kitchen" and serve the underprivileged ... I do not ask if they are legal or not.

I believe in Hematology.

Since Bill Gates has retired from MicroSoft and is spending his retirement by giving away his money, it really isn't surprising that he is no longer the richest man in the world. Arnold Carnage said that a man that dies rich dies in shame and it seems Bill Gates has bought into some of Carnage's philosophy.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

The word oligarchy comes to mind. In Mexico, as in a lot of other latin american, and third world countries, you are either filthy rich, or dirt poor, with very little middle class in between.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Moderators

Having said all of that ... as a Christian ... I feel it my duty to help all those who are in need. That is why when I go to our church's "soup kitchen" and serve the underprivileged ... I do not ask if they are legal or not.

Perhaps you should ask......you may be helping a criminal continue in his/her criminality and that would not be right.

Einstein

Not my job. If I did know ... then I would encourage them to turn themselves in to the authorities.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I is your job to know whether yu are aiding and abetting a criminal

Einstein

I'll "bet" I am not "abetting" ... and leave it at that.

I believe in Hematology.

I'll "bet" I am not "abetting" ... and leave it at that.

Let's put the above senerio just before the Civil War...A black man comes to the soup kitchen, and asks for some soup, and Red asks the question

"Are you a freeman or a slave?"

The laws were such at the time that, in some states, a slave, when discovered, was returned to his owner and the civil populace were REQUIRED to send him back.

Some of our SDA brothern were active in the "free the slave" movement and even had houses set up to hide the black man.

I wonder if there were any correlation to the illegal immigrate worker of today and the slave of yesteryear....?

George Bernard Shaw

Read the story of Sojourner Truth. It is powerful.

I believe in Hematology.