ClubAdventist is back!

Do you wonder about politics?

Neil D

Quote:
Does it excuse a politician now who lies or accepts bribes?

Who are we talking about? IT does matter. Were they Republican OR Democratic? When you let me know ... then I will answer your question!!!

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Accepting that beams exist, does that excuse every splinter?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Moderators

Quote:
Scooter Libby was convicted for what Richard Armitage did!

Simply not true.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

He that has eyes, can see.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Moderators

“O that God the gift would give us,

to see ourselves as others see us.”

~ Robert Burns

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I for one ... see a whole lot of good in both of you combatants.

I believe in Hematology.

Most people see through a glass eye, darkly.

Mark Twain

Most people see through a glass eye, darkly.

Mark Twain

Wow....a lot said with a few words....

I wonder if this is what Jesus meant when he mentioned to the pharasees that because they see clearly, thier sin remained ?

Gentlemen, everyone says they see clearly and everyone can't or wont look at "the truth"...

I will admit that I am not the shining star...I am not as popular as I would like to be, in fact, I am sort of accused of being hypocritial. So, I will not loose any points here by saying-

What does this little spat you all had taught you about yourselves?

Because you guys are the one who got your buttons pushed. You guys are the one who let someone else push your buttons...For what ever reason, you are the ones who choose to react the way y'all did. Guess what, guys....now we know why politics can't get cleaned up...power is just too tempting....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
This is not even about politics. It's about moral equivocation. Perjury becomes extramarital sex, and extramarital sex becomes normal--"Everyone lies about sex."

Mistakes become murder, terrorists become freedom fighters, Yasser Arafat wins the peace prize. Deliberate murder of children becomes 'frustration,' theft becomes compassion.

The politics of this are by far the least of my concerns. In fact, most of this has nothing at all to do with politics. It has political consequences, political implications, but it is not political at the core.

Quote:
now we know why politics can't get cleaned up

Glass eye.

Glass eye.

Main Entry: glass eye

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: artificial eye

Synonyms: fake eye

What you are saying is......?....I can't percieve, but I look good? That I am handicapped? Are you insulting me by comparing me to the handicapped??? Why would you do such a thing???

Be that as it may, on another note, it is troubling when an SDA teacher, principle, and author forgets some of the most basic things about life....Ie, human beings are not omnipresence. We can not be everywhere.

Amazing as this seems, when we write about them, it's not about them...it's about us. When we post on this board, we are here...We are doing it now, and we are living in the now...We can't do anything about the politics of our elected officials, nor even anyone here. It's about us learning about ourselves. It's about character,.. My question of "What have YOU learned about yourself here?" is still a valid question on character, Ed. The reason why those leaders up there in the White House are failing, is because WE, down here in the trenches on THIS BOARD, are failing. How can they up there live the way we think they ought to when we down here are not living the way we should?

A director of religious theater, once told me, that he listens to those who disagree with his plays before he listens to those who agree with his play. When asked why, he replied that the critics were people who honestly didn't like the play or they disagreed with his theology. Either way, they were being honest. Everyone else was just flattering him.

You know, you really ought to listen to your critics...Since I'm already low man on the board, I am not gonna gain any points by being honest. And you will do one of two things...You will either insult me or ignore me. You have done both in the past when I have held you accountable...Oh well...WHATever!

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

Good call, Neil. I honestly didn't feel as though I had a spat with Ed here. He made some assertions, I 'questioned the answers'. he disagrees with me, which is unsurprising. I don't have any problem with him. I wasn't asserting a position. He assumes for some reason that I and those like me are apologists for terrorism, which is not the case, but he's welcome to make the assumptions he does. My role is only that of the gadfly...

Truth is important

backtopic

One of the US's admirable qualities is our separation of powers. I have written about this on my website and one can follow the link in my signature if they desire to read that (beware of bad grammar and typos). Corruption is kept to a minimum because the executive branch can investigate the judicial and legislative. The legislative can investigate the executive and judicial.

I am uncomfortable with the parliamentary system because the legislative branch chooses the executive and can remove him or her as well. I much prefer these two branches be separate and if from the same political party, be chosen as such by an election of the people.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

I understand your point Shane but I am stunned by the inability of elected members of congress to hold the President accountable.

I have been here for five years and I can't understand the wisdom of having a President who does not have to answer questions from the men and women who have been elected by the people.

Every week Gordon Brown has to account for his decisions, perspectives, thinking in front of the people. I think America would be better served if their president was made to give account in this way. Perhaps there would also be a better quality of indivituals who reach the highest office in the land.

Einstein

• Moderators

Corruption is kept to a minimum

The last congress proved this not to be so.

Einstein

• Moderators

And you will do one of two things...You will either insult me or ignore me. You have done both in the past when I have held you accountable..

My experience is similar to Neil's

Ed, Let me put it this way. I believe there are many things I know that I can learn from you. You may doubt that you can learn from me but nevertheless I ask questions because I want to know what lies behind some of the things you say.

Most of the time when it comes to politics we will not agree but I might just learn something. This is what, I guess, the board is all about.

Some of us may not attained to your level experience and knowledge but surely we can be afforded some more patience and higher regard.

Einstein

A person's capacity to be offended is infinite, and only loosely related to the outside world.

As to Neil, I promised the administration I would not respond to him, on those occasions when he is not banned from the forum for offensive posting.

It is interesting to see some here that are the loudest about "offensive" posting. I agree with you ED. Their capacity to be offended is infinite.

I believe in Hematology.