ClubAdventist is back!

Majoring In Minors

Dr. Shane

Adventists have often been accused "majoring in minors" and I have often pointed out that when a person is deeply in love with another, like we should be with Jesus, they are concerned even about the minor details in their relationship. There are two sides to the coin. One side is the mirror. The other side is the binoculars.

When we are looking in the mirror the minors are important. A cherished sin, no matter how small it is, can hurt our spiritual growth, our Christian testimony and even result in the loss of salvation. So during our moments of self-examination, we are right to be concerned with our diet, dress, speech, past-times and other things that are relatively minor issues.

When we are looking through the binoculars - at other people - the minor issues should be much less important to us than they are when we are looking in the mirror. People need to feel loved, wanted, appreciated and cared for. When dealing with others these are the areas we need to focus on. If we are taking care of the minor issues in our own lives, our example alone will be a witness and those who feel loved and cared for by us will approach us about those issues and with Christian love we can share the Biblical reasons why we attend to the minor issues the way we do.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Both scenarios are problems. Many of "us" do not examine our own life's carefully for small sins. We justify our little sins as being no big deal - even though they cost the Son of God His life. We need to be concerned about even the minor issues in OUR personal lives.

However when we look at other people's lives, we need to accept them as they are and look past the little sins in their lives. We need to be "longsuffering" with others. Many of "us" make mountains out of mole hills when we shouldn't even be making an issue at all. When we see little sins in the lives of others, we need to pray for them and not gossip about them. We need to love them.

And I will share this too...

From what I understand, the leadership in the Adventist church gets this. They understand the problems in the church. It is the laity, the members in the pews, that don't get it.

I guess when I'm in love with someone its because I love them exactly the way they are. I had girlfriends who were concerned with the minor details and those relationships didn't last long. You can never relax and enjoy one another. Plus I didn't want to be in a relationship were somebody is trying to change me all the time. That's not about love, its about them being in love with somebody I'm not.

There are certainly aspects that can be deal killers, but those don't require a detailed analysis. I don't think its healthy to be looking in the mirror all the time. Plus I have never found micromanaging my personal growth to be all that successful.

I have found that people change into what they are suited to be on their own when they are in a loving environment. It happens slowly and without detailed analysis. Because we are complex human beings and we will always resist, and rightly so, being made into simplified idea of what it means to be "good."

And any idea of "good" that comes from human analysis is simplified.

Adventists have often been accused "majoring in minors" and I have often pointed out that when a person is deeply in love with another, like we should be with Jesus, they are concerned even about the minor details in their relationship. There are two sides to the coin. One side is the mirror. The other side is the binoculars.

When we are looking in the mirror the minors are important. A cherished sin, no matter how small it is, can hurt our spiritual growth, our Christian testimony and even result in the loss of salvation. So during our moments of self-examination, we are right to be concerned with our diet, dress, speech, past-times and other things that are relatively minor issues.

John Vixie

“We are all born originals-why is it so many of us die copies?"-Young “To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."-e cummings

I am not much good with either mirrors or binoculars!

When I am in front of a mirror I am beholding myself and it isn't usually very inspiring! And binoculars get in my way of really enjoying and interacting with other people! Plus if we get close I can't see them at all through my binoculars!

It is MUCH more productive for MY spiritual growth if I just let reality be reality and Allow my Creator to change the reality in the gentle loving way that comes so natural to the only one who knows what was planned in the beginning!. My mirror gazing usually results in pimple picking and ends up hurting as well as making the mirror image worse! And when I see another persons "reality" I can rest in the fact that I am NOT qualified to either judge or to change the person! I am qualified though to share life and pain and laughter and tears.

That is usually the BEST I can do anyway.

When we are in a relationship with Christ, He is constantly changing us. He accepts us as we are and then molds us into what He wants us to be. Living in harmony with Christ means constantly growing (changing) in Him.

Look at how the Psalmist describes his self-examination. "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (139: 23, 24) I have found when I pray this prayer each night and allow the Holy Spirit to bring to my mind the errors of the day, my spiritual life goes much better.

However this principle of examining my own life should not transfer to others. I don't need search them, know their heart, test them and know their anxious thoughts and if there is any offensive way in them, lead them in God's way everlasting.

I think I understand what you mean when you talk about mirrors, but I would suggest using other terminology. I think a mirror analogy too easily opens the door to a *works* mentality, and we can never do enough to make ourselves look better. Imo, we should not be spending much time in front of the mirror. We need to be spending time with Jesus and looking at Him, and when we do, HE will take care of the things that need to change or go. Here is a mirror that works for me -- a rearview mirror. Because after we have spent time with Jesus, we can look in the rearview mirror and see how much we have changed and grown without even realizing it.

The mirror we need to look into is the Law of God. When we look into the Law of God, we will be led to Christ. "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Rom. 10:4) The word end in this verse doesn't mean Christ ended the law. Rather Christ is the final destination. The Law of God takes us to Christ just like an airplane takes us to our destination.

Is that works based? Christianity involves works!!! Works do not save us. Salvation does not come by works. But that is not to say that works do not play a role in our relationship with Christ. The fruit of the Spirit is all about works. The Law is the yoke Christ speaks of when He says "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." {Matthew 11:29-30)

However when dealing with others, we shouldn't beat them up with the Law. Many of us are not spiritually fit enough to rebuke another. EG White says we shouldn't rebuke another unless we love them enough to die for their salvation.

I like how you describe Christ as the final destination. I agree the Law is our mirror, although I prefer to think of the Law as a measuring stick, because I believe that looking at a mirror too can much can make us self centered. We need to become changed by beholding Jesus.

Actually, the fruits of the Spirit have nothing to do with works. Fruit is the natural product of a healthy organism, but that organism doesn't have to "try" or "work" at bearing fruit. It is a natural process when the organism is healthy. When we are spiritually healthy, we will bear more and more of the Spirit's fruits - naturally. The only work we really have to do is surrender of self and obedience to God; and that is sometimes a very hard task.